2012 / 13/14.....Dukedog?

M.I.B

Thanks for that review link Andy.I must be behind the times but I hadn't noticed that Bachmann are using that plug in method for connection now or is it just the dcc version using it.I hope it's more user friendly than the Hornby version.It's ages since I bought a 'new' Bachmann tender engine.

I do like that black version though.

Another GWR prototype that I'm going to find very hard to resist!

The plug in connector is the same as the Hornby version, Bachmann have used it on the Wainwright C, Midland 3F and 4F that I know of and a few other types no doubt. Fiddly I know, but once you've invested in the insertion/extraction tool easy to use.

I thought all Bachmann motors are 3-pole jobs, I stand to be corrected.

Glenn

I thought all Bachmann motors are 3-pole jobs, I stand to be corrected.

Glenn

Glenn,

They may well be. I "assumed", that because I have found them to be good runners that they were 5 pole rather than 3.

Khris

Edited for punctuation!

Edited by kandc_au

• RMweb Gold

When I rang up the model shop I ordered mine from concerning my debit card due to expire soon, I was told middle of January for Dukedog...

They've been in the "Next 60 Days" section of Bachmann's website for a few weeks and that's generally reliable so it shouldn't be long now.

John

• RMweb Premium

The plug in connector is the same as the Hornby version, Bachmann have used it on the Wainwright C, Midland 3F and 4F that I know of and a few other types no doubt. Fiddly I know, but once you've invested in the insertion/extraction tool easy to use.

Glenn

'invested in the what'!   Is there actually a special tool?

Hi 

Just spoke to the chap at Hatton's and was told that they would be in the end of this month.

My local shop advised that they had received 2, which would be going to those customers who had pre-ordered them.  They were not expecting any more in until February.

From information before Christmas they had just arrived but due to Xmas and new year and normal quarantine procedures it would probably just after new year. or when Bachmann reopen after Christmas and new year which I think is next week, a few retailers are expecting them next week.
Next week will be painful if that's correct.

Has anyone thought about the stock which they will haul with their new Dukedogs? Pictures I've seen generally show non uniform assemblies including older coaches, so I'm thinking a mix of Bachmann Colletts and Hornby Hawksworths rather than Mk. 1s. Any other thoughts on this?

Yes bought some blood & custard Hornby Colletts and some Bachmann Maroon Hawksworth on Wednesday at my local model shop in Eastbourne to pair with 9017. Just need to get the loco now, the shop owner thought it was likely to be at the end of the month.

• RMweb Premium

Clerestory stock was in service until the very early '50s so could be used with a Dukedog. I would like one but may have to invoke Rule 1 and the alternate history factor. The Weymouth route saw Dukes, Bulldogs and Counties but I have yet to find evidence for a Dukedog.

Pete

What was the furthest west these rather attractive 'dogs ever worked west? Thinking, with my Christmas cash, that I may treat myself to one, so would love to know if they every ventured west of the Tamar.

Thanks in advance!

Richard

Would Celestories hav still been around?

Khris

Earls were to be seen with clerestory coaches in the formation in the 1930's. There are many published shots on the Cambrian section with mixed formations.

Although often seen a a Welsh engine, several Earls were to be found working further south. Cheltenhams Earl (3209) could be found on Clerestory stock on a daily basis hauling 3 coach trains to Southampton. One regular formation combrised clerestory stock included a non corridor clerestory.

Didcot's 3206/3215 would be found on similar short trains also working to Southampton, though photos show that toplights were more common on this run.

Clerestory stock was in service until the very early '50s so could be used with a Dukedog. I would like one but may have to invoke Rule 1 and the alternate history factor. The Weymouth route saw Dukes, Bulldogs and Counties but I have yet to find evidence for a Dukedog.

Pete

I am not sure what period you are describing. Certainly Dukes, Bulldogs and 4-4-0 Counties reigned supreme in the 1920's on Weymouth trains but by the 1930's displaced Saints and Stars along with new Halls had taken over, with Bulldogs mainly used on freight/milk workings, though still showing up on local stoppers. 4-6-0 County 1027 was allocated to Westbury in the late 1940's for a time for use on Weymouth - London expresses. Earls are known to make it to Westbury on freights but I have failed to come across any reports on passenger workings or continuing further south to Weymouth.

For the BR chaps 9011/18/23 worked out of Swindon, mainly on freight turns. Several images exist showing the class used on Swindon to Stoke Gifford (Bristol Parkway) main line hauling transfer freights. 9008/10 spent the same period working freights from the Midlands to London.

By nationalisation 9 out of 29 Earls were allocated away from the Cambrian, by 1953 it was 6 out of 26, though by 1950, many of the Earls were being stored with 7 out of use at one point. New build Manors did not help the situation,and neither did the introduction of the standards, to the point by 1955 there was only a handful in daily use.

For all this emphasis on post war and BR liveries, most Earls had longer active lives with the GWR than with BR. Choose your numbers carefully -  9006/7 were both gone by mid 1948 never receiving BR livery with 9019 withdrawn not long after, bizarre when you consider there were still original Duke class in front line Cambrian service until 1951.

Enjoy your post war Bachmanns. I will be using my 1930's livery Earls on modellers licence local trains in the Westbury area - its my train set! :mosking:

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 2

One of my regular customers of many moons ago was also a regular and well known writer for a particular model railway magazine. He had been a navigator during the war and told me of a time when his aircraft got 'lost' over North Wales. Through a brief break in the low cloud he saw enough to enable him to set a course whereupon his pilot and crew were astounded to see their airfield on Anglesey. While he never let on how he did it, it certainly enhanced his reputation. What he saw in that brief break in the cloud was a GWR outside frame 4-4-0 on a few clerestory coaches and knew he was looking down on the Cambrian coastline!

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 11

Hi,

Does anyone know if any Dukedogs were allocated anywhere near Banbury or south of Birmingham before WWII?

Rich

3206/15 Didcot

3207/18 Tyseley (engines mostly used on freight workings to destiantions including Banbury.

Mike Wiltshire