Trains4U

nnich

Knowing that Gareth of Trains4U in Peterborough is well known on RMWeb, recently prompted me to place an order with him which was perhaps asking a little more than a normal first purchase . What I wanted was a hybrid of 2 recently produced Bachmann 'Peak' models The sound fitted chassis of D55 'Royal Signals' with the body of the split headcode green model of D95 with no yellow warning panel. Add in the fact that I am exiled in the USA and this was not perhaps your average first order. I let Gareth know that I was prepared to pay for the additional labour involved in making the change. To keep this short let me just say that Gareth, in the midst of the the excitement of the birth of his daughter took this as just normal business, fulfilled my request at no extra charge, and mailed me a well packaged model which arrived in the almost record time of 4 days from the UK to the USA. The resulting model was just what I wanted, the price was more than fair and I for one am a very happy customer. Trains4U gets high marks from me and it won't be my last order ;)

• Like 4

Good to know, it's reviews like this that help making a decision when choosing a mail-order supplier. Having had some issues with inaccurate stock counts at certain other suppliers, knowing there are reliable stockists out there makes it that much easier to overlook the slight discounts of other suppliers in favour of better service.

• 5 weeks later...

I wanted some Black and some Red Heljan Dogfish, but not any Olive Green ones as I already have enough of them. Gareth willingly split some packs to provide me with what I wanted, for the same cost as a normal pack, they arrived 2 days after I placed my order - well done, thank you, I will use Trains4U again.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a 4-cep in March, and i phoned today to find out if it was in yet! Yes, it's there waiting for me. I could have had it sent, but I will be up there in a week's time, so I can't miss the chance to visit. Great shop, great service.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I wanted some Black and some Red Heljan Dogfish, but not any Olive Green ones as I already have enough of them. Gareth willingly split some packs to provide me with what I wanted, for the same cost as a normal pack, they arrived 2 days after I placed my order - well done, thank you, I will use Trains4U again.

Hi

I visited the Trains 4u shop for the first time this afternoon. They have split several of the multi coloured dogfish sets and are selling individual black and red 'uns (there may have been green in there too but I wasn't looking for them) for ??12.50 each. They come in the clear plastic box insert, but no box. In a basket at the back of the shop if you're calling. Very pleased about this because I wanted a red one and didn't want to buy a whole set and ebay the remainder.

Also, there was a lady of fairly advanced years in there buying an N gauge trainset (presumably for a grandson). They didn't have anything suitable, so were assembling a set for her from track pack, cheapo (but fine) Hornby controller, and appropriate stock, with lots of good advice by the sounds of things. Will definitely visit again.

Jim

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I almost never buy from mail order, but due to my recent injury, I decided to ring round to see who could give me a decent price on the new Hornby Duchess, and although they are not the absolute cheapest (but they were VERY close), I was impressed by their friendliness and helpfulness on the phone - even to the extent of saying that they would hang on for a while before going to the Post Office, so that my loco would catch the post (I had no card details with me when I called as I hadn't fully decided) - 'nuff said, and loco ordered. It would have arrived within 24 hours of the order except that for some "staff problem" reason, there was no postal delivery at all here yesterday, so my parcel sat in the local sorting office for an additional day (along with all my other post).

To say that I am happy with this service is an understatement, and I will certainly use Trains 4U again in the future, and also will try to pop in at some time.

200% satisfaction there, Gareth and team.

Thanks again

Stewart

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I happened to be up in Cambridgeshire with my partner this weekend visiting some friends of hers, and as it was only 20 miles away I thought it was worth a visit (even if just to get a break from all the girly chat!) so I was allowed to go off on my own. Doris, my sat-nav, found the store very easily and I was very impressed with the amount of stock on show, and the layout of the store - plenty of room and not crowded like many are. Had lots of time to wander round, said hello to a few staff members that knew of RMWEB and although hadn't spoken to me specifically vaguely recognised my username.

Nice to go upstairs and have a look at the big layout too - although as I only have a small space and budget it's not something I'll be recreating.

Ended up coming out with a new 03, DCC chip and some trees (for a side project I'm working on) all for about £70.

Definitely worth a visit if you're in the area, or a detour if you're going up the A1(M). Looking forward to a return trip when the bank balance is a little healthier (although based on todays visit that healthiness may only be short-term).

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi, Good Evening,

I'd also like to take the opportunity to credit Trains4U as being an excellent shop/supplier for our hobby as a result of my first purchase from them.

My experience was that I found a discontinued item I wanted at an excellent price on their fully working and easy to use website. This was very quickly dispatched via my preferred courier and the attention to detail was highly professional in keeping me advised of dispatch and estimated arrival.

I too will be returning to Gareth and his team in future,

Many Thanks,

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yet another vote of thanks to Trains4U.

I called in at the start of August, and asked about the Dapol coach kits (C100C) specifically, and they found it on one of their suppliers website, I was charged the same as was shown on the website.

I called in today and the kit was waiting.

It helps that I was in my company vehicle - a 7.5 tonne fridge. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately the Trains4U.com website is currently offline.

we are still here!

The domain name is being re-hosted, and the name server changes take a day or two to propagate.

Hopefully normal service will be resumed by Thursday, if not before.

Thanks!

• 6 months later...

Having a couple of hours to spare in Peterborough after visiting the passport office I thought I would visit Trains4U. I walked out along the river then cut north. The shop has lots of stuff on display, the staff seemed friendly but not pushy (and young, which is either encouraging or a sign I am getting old...) All in all I would recommend. Being a US modeller meant that there was nothing for me stock wise, although they do have some second hand US and European stuff, but they have a good range of scenery and tools etc.

I did manage to resist a Heljan O OAA, but I'm still tempted...

I also met an older modeller there who walked back to the bus stop with me and gave me copy of Railway modeller!

Edited by Talltim
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

That's better,

Juliette is differentiated by her purple arrow!

Hopefully this is the start of a transformation within the business - My team are fantastic and have worked extremely hard over the last 12 months to overcome some very significant troubles, and I am extremely proud of them all.

Juliette joins today with a view to transforming the marketing and customer engagement, as well as helping to address and deliver the many changes and enhancements that I simply don't have time to do, such as upgrading the tills and website and improving the stock handling. (I'm flat out elaborating requirements for new point of sale and supporting retail systems for a "high end supermarket"...)

I'm positive that Juliette will build upon an already strong foundation to deliver a stronger and better Trains4U!

Now then, to change my banner...

post-40-0-67900700-1472048590.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

Good to read of positive developments in a model shop.  Used to be  a regular customer when I lived near them but now too far away to drop-in.  Always good service and conversation.  Staff always had time for customers (including those who didn't quite know what they wanted or were doing).

Wishing you all the best for the future.

Regards,

Alex.

(Currently Leith/Trinity - formerly Corby)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Popped in to the shop when on holiday recently near Peterborough. I liked the layout of the shop and there was a good range for sale. Especially liked to see the Wills range displayed on a wall rather than the usual practice of having to flick through them in a box. Made the kit I was after easy to find. Also liked the Oxford Diecast arranged by eras, nice touch.

Also managed to spend at day at Nene Valley Diesel Gala and a morning at the Peterborough show.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have a visitor...

The Little Loco Company (Nth Degree on here) has lent us one of the pre production O Gauge BTH type 1 (Class 15) locos

post-40-0-57136200-1478551077_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-01827200-1478551079_thumb.jpg

Please don't judge the images too harshly as they are from my humble iPhone... 

It runs beautifully, though, being pre-production, it does have some odds and ends to be ironed out before the final production models are delivered towards the end of the year.

If you want to take a look, it will be on display in the shop from Tomorrow.

We are accepting pre-orders at £375.00

Edited by Trains4U