The End of The Line 0-14 and 0 GOES ON..........

Giles

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I finally got round to painting my Brassworks 04. I've glazed it with real glass- I had wanted to use the really thin stuff ( the slip glasses) but after breaking one while cleaning it, I replaced them with the thicker slide glass.

However, I really wanted at least one of the sliding windows open, and that wouldn't look good with the thickness of the slide glass, and the slip glasses wouldn't last five seconds. I then had quite a good idea. I cut a slip glass to the required size, and then laminated it using superglue to a second piece of slip glass. It came out completely clear, it was very easily trimmed to size, and many, many times stronger than the original !

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

• 1 month later...

Di bought me an Ixion Hudswell Clarke for Christmas - which, after a little weathering, is now quite at home..... An excellent little loco...

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

And

Finally built another RC lorry to run on TEOTL. This one is a bigger Ford Thames, and has the same motor/gearbox unit with 100:1 drive, and a IPod Nano, or somesuch battery powering it.

One significant difference is that rather than having a 27MHz Micro Tiny receiver, which necessitated the massive arial on the transmitter, and could be a bit 'glitchy' - this one has a 2.4GHz DelTang receiver, which is smoother, cheaper, and has a much more discrete transmitter. It's altogether much better, and much less hassle, and works straight out of the packet.....

IMG_0182_zpse2f48ea2.jpg

IMG_0178_zps8e1f583e.jpg

Oh dear; I've started feeling funny again. Lovely stuff Giles.

....I keep telling you that you're welcome to come and play, any time.......

I'm afraid the lorry came in an anonymous box with the only clue saying 'made in china' (lower case, even) - bought via EBay from a trader in Spain, a couple of months ago. I looked a couple of days ago, and I didn't find any available - so whether there aren't that many around - or just come in batches, I don't know, Stephen - but thanks anyway!

However, there will be some stunning ones available from Goods Yard Models.... Much better than this - a little more expensive - but exquisite.

....I keep telling you that you're welcome to come and play, any time.......

I'm afraid the lorry came in an anonymous box with the only clue saying 'made in china' (lower case, even) - bought via EBay from a trader in Spain, a couple of months ago. I looked a couple of days ago, and I didn't find any available - so whether there aren't that many around - or just come in batches, I don't know, Stephen - but thanks anyway!

However, there will be some stunning ones available from Goods Yard Models.... Much better than this - a little more expensive - but exquisite.

Giles

Thanks for the answer - I thought it might be rather rare.

I saw one of the Goods Yard Models lorries at a recent show. I agree, quite exquisite.

Stephen

Hi Giles - does the thread on how you built the RC lorry still exist? I would love to explore using this in larger scales such as 1:24 etc as the cheap RC cars you can get run like scalded cats. Fun, but a bit hairy trying to steer them around scale obstacles!

I also have some 1:43 vehicles I would like to butcher so I can start dreaming about my long-anticipated NG 1:43 layout situated somewhere on the West Coast between Westport and The Haast.

Hi Giles - does the thread on how you built the RC lorry still exist? I would love to explore using this in larger scales such as 1:24 etc as the cheap RC cars you can get run like scalded cats. Fun, but a bit hairy trying to steer them around scale obstacles!

I also have some 1:43 vehicles I would like to butcher so I can start dreaming about my long-anticipated NG 1:43 layout situated somewhere on the West Coast between Westport and The Haast.

Hi Ian,

Here's the old Thread....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/18108-radio-controlled-road-vehicle/

However, the receivers to use now are the 2.4GHz ones for road vehicles made by David T. of DelTang.co.uk they are much better than the old Micro Tiny, only about £29, and only 10mm x 10mm.

In fact, this morning, I'm going to replace/convert the RX in the blue lorry, because I'm so impressed!

..... Now done....!

Time to put the 27 MHz gear on EBay!

• RMweb Premium

Great to see this layout today at last, and spent quite a time admiring it, along with many others.

However I wasnt there long before Giles thrust the radio control unit for the lorry into my hands and told me to go and collect a load!

It was amazing to be able to see it moving smoothly and under my own control, while I practised three-point-turns.  Palms were getting sweaty when driving along the front where the road is perilously close to the baseboard edge; but there were plenty of observers waiting to catch any serious mistakes!

Thanks very much Giles, I really enjoyed the End of The Line experience.

Dave.T

Great to see this superb layout 'in the flesh' at Shepton Mallet -  after I'd fought my way through the crowd of admirers!

I have to say it really is as good as it looks in Giles's photos.

Best bit was Mark Smith trying to distract Giles, purely unintentionally ;-), as he was manoeuvring that delightful Ford Thames truck. Great stuff!

Stephen

It was a pleasure to see you all down there - and to put faces to a couple of friends known only via this forum.....

Interestingly, I found that on 'exhibition duty' the lorries batteries lasted over three hours each before charging! Much more than I anticipated.

Dave - you were a natural, mate!

Great to see this superb layout 'in the flesh' at Shepton Mallet -  after I'd fought my way through the crowd of admirers!

I have to say it really is as good as it looks in Giles's photos.

Best bit was Mark Smith trying to distract Giles, purely unintentionally ;-), as he was manoeuvring that delightful Ford Thames truck. Great stuff!

Stephen

Yes Giles, it was great to see you,

and finally get to see the layout

It was even better in the flesh, than I had imagined

And it was great to catch up with other rmweb members too!

Stephen, I only wanted to distract Giles, so that the lorry would fall into my backpack..... ;)

Cheers

Marc

Archived