7mm narrow gauge in card

cornamuse

Hi folks

I am working on some 7mm narrow gauge stock. My preferred medium is card - i can cut it, don't need to solder it, and don't have to worry about the cost when I chuff it up and have to try again...

I design the models first on a computer - essentially make myself a kit - handy if you want a few, and with slate waggons, you always need a few.

This is the first attempt - not too neat, but the pictures are much larger than life. For real it just looks a bit used. Well - that's my excuse!

generic 3 ton slate waggon end

generic 3 ton slate waggon

My question is - anyone else fancy a copy if I come up with an instruction sheet? It needs 10mm diameter wheels of your own choice, some thin printable card, a scalpel and plenty of runny superglue.

I would really welcome feedback on it as a kit, as well as comments in terms of would you have been happy to buy it as a PDF download (assuming that this doesn't break the site rules. my apologies if it does). Brutally honest feedback is welcomed - I have it in mind to develop a few such kits shoud there be any interest - if not I will carry on, but for my own amusement.

thanks in advance

Andy

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Andy

They do look very good but my concern would be the strength of the card, also relief is important in 7mm (rivets, axleboxes etc). I guess the card could be shellaced before printing to give it extra strength. Could you print on to plasticard ?

The idea is good, as are the drawings. May work better with wagons and vans with solid sides

thank you for the comments :)

I just wish my layout looked as good as "the loop" that you linked to Mike :)

Strength isn't bad, although it was a concern. te chassis is from so many layers that it is fairly indestructable. I have been using runny superglue in the same way that you can use shellac, and making sure that the card is well soaked. It mkes the sides strong enough not to bend, just flex, when picked up by the top. To be honest, it suprised me how strong it became. I was also able to drill the axleboxes out pretty accurately once soaked and dried. In wagons with solid sides, It does make an amazingly strong structure - I just wanted to see how far I could push my luck using card...

Brake van and salt wagon

Relief is an issue - on larger 32mm gauge wagons like the salt wagon above, I have used peco track pins, but on here? I was wondering about using blobs of superglue gel - any other ideas?

Instructions nearly completed. I do hope a few of you will try it out and let me know how it goes (or shout at me!). Next project - 2 ton slate waggon (push my luck a bit further) and maybe the hearse van.

• Like 1

They look very good to me, Andy. I've always been tempted to model in 7mm, but have avoided it so far because of the sheer amount of 009 stock that I own!

One (very minor) comment on the braked slate waggon, if I may - the handle looks to be a little too long to me, but that might just be a matter of perspective?

Edited by Beardybloke

probably is too long- the brake part is where the "generic" really kicks in. Haven't got any decent pictures, so many different types... didnt fancy getting the s shaped ones to fit, although I think I will for the 2 ton waggon. ( I know I will regret that :D )

I assume it should come up above the side of the waggon though? or am I way out on that?

again - thanks for the comments - only way for me to improve

ta

Andy

I reckon that card wheels might work - I certainly might give a static 7mm model or two a go if you make them!

If you want it, there's a very convenient collection of photos of braked FR 3-ton waggons on Festipedia here.

thank you - will have a good look.

I recon 2 types of wheels - curly for the die-hard and 3 hole, which might be easier if you were trying to get them to work...

oooops -

mailed Andy Y and got a very quick and helpful reply - especially seeing as the fault was mine for not following the guidelines properly :punish: :

Sent Today, 15:32

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the PM. The images were removed as the Gallery is intended to show modelling or prototype information (hence the ones that have been left in place) and could have been construed as advertising.

If there's anyone seeking further information it is possible to send the images via PM.

Many thanks,

Andy

so - the model sheets are available, PM me and I will send you the full kit - even better, you can have the higher quality PDFs - and that will keep everyone happy, I hope

and thanks also to Andy Y for a) the work he does in here and b)a quick and helpful respon

Edited by cornamuse

Its the hearse van! :danced:

a bit creepy, but you gotta have one. should be easy to make strong.

next question... opening doors or not? and if yes... model of a casket too?

have noticed the wheels are different, so yet another set to design. DOH!

will post as soon as I have pictoral evidence of it taking shape :)

slate waggons painted at last. what do we think?

referring to an earlier post, I do think they would benefit from rivet detail, although I think they will look ok while moving :)

I may have to try another one, using blobs of superglue for rivets. I daren't emboss the parts, as they are too small and may warp. any other ideas?

7mm slate waggons

7mm slate waggons finished

7mm slate waggons painted and done

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hearse van progress:

parts designed test run in progress - taking photos as I go through this time, as I only really want to make one - I don't think my little people are going to be that ill :D

cut out a side - the planks are applied individually - I find it makes a bit cleaner mark than scoring, but that is probably my lack of talent :)

hope the plank show up on here -

post-11344-0-08615900-1330037858_thumb.jpg

the plain end has also been made up - both the sides and the ends are formed from a lamination of 8 sheets, making them arund 2mm think, and VERY strong - as suggested in an earlier post, vans will definately be strong enough in this medium :)

the two side joined look like this - suprisingly small - similar footprint to the 3 ton slate waggon - but with a pleasingly chunky feel to the relief, I think.

hearse van

• Like 1

Hearse van body and roof completed. Seems to be a satisfactorily strong box.

Hearse van body

Chassis started - here is the same as before, but dead :D

post-11344-0-89841100-1330211553.jpg

Inside bearings for this, so I am not expecting it to be overly free running...

not looking forward to making the urns, either!

• Craftsmanship/clever 1