Westward locomotive kits

Mal

Hi,

Would anyone be able to give me an indication as to the accuracy,quality and make up of the old Westward white metal locomotive kits? I've often wondered how they compared to the kits from other manufactures,from somewhere I've got the impression they were similar to the Premier/M&L range.

Thanks in advance,

Malcolm

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Would anyone be able to give me an indication as to the accuracy,quality and make up of the old Westward white metal locomotive kits? I've often wondered how they compared to the kits from other manufactures,from somewhere I've got the impression they were similar to the Premier/M&L range.

Thanks in advance,

Malcolm

I have only seen a couple over the years and one went back as soon as I opened the box - cast whitemetal mainframes, albeit with pre-inserted brass bearings, didn't strike me as a wonderful solution to chassis design. Body castings in my view were not of the best - definitely way short of Cotswold (I believe Adrian Swain might have had something to do with some of their masters?) and, based solely on what I have seen but not what I have assembled, I think not quite up to M&L level.

I've only built 2 of their kits - the Beattie Well Tank and the GWR 2-8-0. On the basis of those two, I'd happily recommend them. Decent quality whitemetal bodies matched to etched nickel silver underframes. Both went together well & turned into nice locos.

Re: comparison with M&L kits - again, I've only built a couple, but I'd go along with your impression that they're similar.

On the other hand, I think a couple of the Westward kits were imported from other sources (e.g. the 54/64/74XX pannier - wasn't that originally in the Stephen Poole range?) and those may well have been in the less-than-successful-chassis group.

Graham

• 6 years later...

I've mainly been a OO eastern modeller but having a break and a challenge with an EM BR western layout. I was thinking of a buying a B'mann Hall and modifying it but decided on a Grange, since I would be modifying it I wasn't sure about using the Hornby Grange, so it was put on the back burner until going to ExpoEM the other week where I managed to pick up a complete Westward Grange kit for £50, cast whitemetal castings are good quality, a bit of flash on the boiler but no big shakes, has an etched brass chassis. About an hour later somebody offered me a portescap for £60, never been used, I was thinking of a mashima motor + high level gearbox but thought that I would give the portescap a go. So, has anyone any specific experience of building the Westward Grange kit and any pitfalls?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mal,

I was very much into all things 4mm GWR in the early 1980`s.

I absolutely loved my Westward Models 64XX kit particularly the etched chassis and brake gear that came with it.

The castings were excellent as was the method of construction and instructions.

post-17779-0-27660600-1527698817_thumb.jpg

(1980`s quality pic!!!)

Cheers

Johnny

I picked up a Westwood Grange kit from the Westward stand at the BRM show at Doncaster Racecourse about 15 - 20 years ago, and completed it just before Hornby brought out their version. It seemed straight forward, no problems, similar to what 'ROSSPOP' said about his 64.

• RMweb Gold

I also, despite a congenital hamfistedness, managed to cobble a Westward 64xx together, and found it an almost fall together kit; the nickel silver fold up chassis was excellent, and I had many years very satisfactory use out of this lovely little engine, which ran superbly on Romford wheels and 40:1 gears.  It died on me about 18 months ago with a terminal quartering issue just as the Baccy 64xx took my eye in my local emporium.  it's chimney, dome, and safety valve cover live on on top of my Hornby 2721.

I would recommend any Westward kit with the nickel silver fold up chassis as easy to build, a good runner, and value for money.  As with any kit, take your time, prepare the castings, and proceed methodically, but Westward will not bring any additional problems to the party so long as you stick to the nickel silver fold up chassis kits.   I cannot vouch for other types of chassis.

Thanks for the replies, having had a closer look at the castings and etches it looks a good buy. A week or so ago I looked at SEF J6 and Alexander J27 kits and as a comparison the quality is not far off for it's age.

Archived