Project Builds, Detailing, Painting, Weathering

USA & Canadian Railroads Group Build

Tank Car Group Build

Covered Hopper Group Build

I've been speaking to Pete (Trisonic) about setting up some group builds here on USA & Canadian Railroads. Those of you who are also members on Britmodeller or similar sites will be familiar with the concept, but for those who aren't someone suggests a theme, and then anyone else interested works on a subject (or several) to fit that theme.

This is all just for fun - no prizes or judging, just the healthy feedback of our peers. Hopefully it’ll motivate some of us to get a few cars out of the pile and start working on them.

I'm going to start the ball rolling with two subjects - I'll start separate threads for each. At Trisonic's suggestion one will be for tank cars, the other for covered hoppers.

There are no rules - works already in progress etc can be included. Its up to you if you just weather an out of the box car, or go the whole Tony :sungum: and super detail your subject. Feel free to post any in progress shots in the two threads, general chat can go in this thread or in the specific subjects.

To get you in the mood, here are my first candidates, and some of the research material (isn't the interweb great!)

post-7346-0-73778100-1329057403.jpg

post-7346-0-73508000-1329057416.jpg

Cheers,

Just a small niggle ......but do we need to have these topics "pinned" there are already a few that get little use and if we are not careful will end up with a first page of pinned subjects......surely it would be better for topics to stay at the top end of the board by popularity rather than an artifical "pin".

Regards Trevor ... :sungum:

Sorry for the delay in replying - i was back in hospital last night. I don't mind if they're pinned or not - maybe just pin this thread and use it for links to each group build - I can add them to the first post?

Anyone else have any strong views on this?

Jon, hope hospital not too serious ??? it's not my preferred place at the moment either .... :no:

Linking from the main post would be a good idea ..as I can see this range of topics growing nicely ... :locomotive:

I

Jon, hope hospital not too serious ??? it's not my preferred place at the moment either .... :no:

Linking from the main post would be a good idea ..as I can see this range of topics growing nicely ... :locomotive:

I

Thanks Trevor.

Unexplained chest pain (again) Waiting for another referral. Really want to get to the bottom of it cos its causing me a lot of problems.

Bit better today though, and hoping to go back to work tomorrow. Hope you're doing OK.

Yeah but pinning unpinning is about the limit of my ability! I'll report your thread to the real mods and they will do it.....

Best, Pete.

Understand Pete, no sweat.

I see this a.m. that the MKT423 thread has been moved. What I don't understand is why are there now additional unrelated posts in that thread. Surely each persons project should be a separate thread within the Cov Hop group. As it is there is absolutely no easy continuity of discussion as each project unfolds.

I think its stupid to have a whole bunch of projects under one heading. :nono: Gotta change that Pete, please. :no2:

Cheers, Tony

It appears you either have one thread, merged or seperate threads. You cannot seperate threads that started merged.

If anyone else wants to do this then your welcome.

I've asked Andy if he can help - if anyone has suggestions please write them here now!

Best, Pete.

Pete, I think what Tony was thinking would mean a group within a group. Ie like USA & Can railroads is a separate forum within rmweb, CovHop build group would be a forum within USA & Can forum. I suspect that would be a bit of work for Andy.

I think if we can demerge Tony's MKT hop thread that would be good, even if it goes back where it came from.

What I don't understand is why are there now additional unrelated posts in that thread. Surely each persons project should be a separate thread within the Cov Hop group. As it is there is absolutely no easy continuity of discussion as each project unfolds.

I think its stupid to have a whole bunch of projects under one heading. :nono: Gotta change that Pete, please. :no2:

Pete had left me a request overnight to merge the topics which I did. They can be split again but you'd just have to let me know which post # needs splitting.

As topics run in a linear time format it's not possible to have a topic diverging within it. Would it be helpful if we set up a separate sub-forum under the US/Can group as Group Builds? This could then have child sub-forums created within it e.g. Covered Hoppers, Tanks, Boxes etc as required; this would allow each category to have a main collective topic and separate build topics for each constructor?

Anyway; just let me know.

Andy, appreciate your help and also the difficulties which Pete has experienced plus the software as what it is. This is NOT a complaint, I merely saw a problem soon as I logged on this a.m. and thought - oh, oh, I can see a mess waiting to become a massive mess. I agree 100% with your suggestion of a Build Group and the sub-froums. In this manner each modelers project can carry their respective posts, questions and replies. For the long haul this will make later use of this info far easier to use.

In a way I'm sorry my original suggestion to Pete to move the MKT423 thread into the cov hops has caused this problem and a bit of heartache for you and Pete. That was not the plan, I assure you. Hope you can sort it, meantime I'll hold off posting anything ref the MKT project.

Thanks,

Cheers, Tony

Archived