Project Builds, Detailing, Painting, Weathering

USA & Canadian Railroads Group Build

They can be split again but you'd just have to let me know which post # needs splitting.

Anyway; just let me know.

Andy, All posts from #1 thru #78 pertain to the MKT423 thread. Posts #79 thru # 83 can be removed from the MKT423 thread. This would return the original thread posts of MKT423 in order. Obviously if a member posts after this time stamp then that too can be removed.

Is this the info you need, Andy...?

If you need to add a title of the thread again I'd say - MKT423 2 bay cement hopper. I can't remember the original title right now.

Cheers, Tony

Seems to be OK Andy ,thanks...

"Would it be helpful if we set up a separate sub-forum under the US/Can group as Group Builds? This could then have child sub-forums created within it e.g. Covered Hoppers, Tanks, Boxes etc as required; this would allow each category to have a main collective topic and separate build topics for each constructor?"

the above would,I believe, be exactly what we are looking for ...Jon,Tony and Pete will no doubt add their views soon ...

Regards Trevor .. :sungum:

I *think* I've sorted it.

http://www.rmweb.co....er-group-build/

http://www.rmweb.co....-cement-hopper/

Let me know if there are any problems and get Pete to let me know what sub-forums should be created.

Andy, you did sort it but I think I gave you some erroneous info. You did precisely what I suggested ref the post numbers, BUT, there's always a but, isn't there. *sigh*. Somehow within the software or the US congress, probably the latter, some of the 'other' content discussed crept into the MKT423 thread. Or, when you removed the first group, 'm guessing you did, the posts numbers auto changed thus screwing you up during your subsequent commands.

So using: http://www.rmweb.co....-cement-hopper/ as it stands now after your first changes the following should apply.

Page 1 - Posts #1 thru #25 Perfect, leave it alone.

Page 2 - Posts #26 thru #50 Perfect, leave it alone.

Page 3 - Posts #51, 52 & 53 pertain to the MKT thread and are in chronological order. At this point here is where a number of other posts that do not pertain to the MKT thread have crept in. These are Posts #54 by Jon Gwinnet thru post #70 by Martyn Read. All of these should be removed from the MKT thread and placed in Jon Gwinnet's Group Builds thread, in fact the thread we are discussing this problem in now. From that point the MKT thread continues from post #71 thru to end and should be left in order as it stands now. I'm guessing that the software automatically changes the post numbers when one or more posts are removed.

Cheers, Tony

Thanks Tony!

I've moved those posts back into this topic now. We'll let the dust settle and maybe when Pete's caught up with us playing Find the Lady I can delete everything out of this topic about moving stuff to save confusing the hell out of readers some time down the line.

Ooer, Mum!

So the idea is to have USA & Canadian Railroads > Group Builds > Tank Cars - Covered Hoppers - Box Cars - (any other Car) then into each Member/Builder under each freight car category? Is that right?

I didn't know that was even possible.....

Best, Pete.

I can sort it from this end Pete, There'd be 3 different sub-forums eg. USA & Canadian Railroads > Group Builds > Tank Cars, USA & Canadian Railroads > Group Builds > Covered Hoppers, USA & Canadian Railroads > Group Builds > Box Cars or whatever you want it to be.

s...

this would allow each category to have a main collective topic and separate build topics for each constructor?"

Regards Trevor .. :sungum:

Andy, Thank you. I think that the guys actually contributing do want it further split into "each constructor" (the ones writing about it that is).

So it would go:

USA & Canadian RailRoads > Group Builds > Box Cars/ Tank Cars/ blah,blah > Each member contributing a project.

Does that make sense?

Members: Speak NOW or forever hold thy piece (peace)!!!

Best, Pete.

Thanks Tony!

I've moved those posts back into this topic now. We'll let the dust settle and maybe when Pete's caught up with us playing Find the Lady I can delete everything out of this topic about moving stuff to save confusing the hell out of readers some time down the line.

Good job, Andy. Thank you. Agree that the dust should settle.

Pete, as I was typing this to Andy yours came through above. You got it right first time - 'piece'.

Small stuff like this will happen from time to time on any forum and with the expert help of Andy I think he has put it to bed. Fingers crossed.

Cheers, Tony

I think Trevor that Britmodeller goes 1 step too far IMO.

I think that we should have as stated above

USA & Can forum

Group builds - sub forum

Covhop builds - child board

Tony's MKT 2 bay hopper - thread

Then have several child forums ie Tank cars, Gons, Locos, Box cars etc Then the only posts on the child boards will be actual projects.

Dave

Good job, Andy. Thank you. Agree that the dust should settle.

Pete, as I was typing this to Andy yours came through above. You got it right first time - 'piece'.

Small stuff like this will happen from time to time on any forum and with the expert help of Andy I think he has put it to bed. Fingers crossed.

Cheers, Tony

Tony, Really I had no idea that such a thing was possible - If it is doable without causing Andy conniptions then I agree it is worthwhile. There's a lot of talent on this site that makes it worthwhile - I just wanted to make sure that I understood correctly.

We are all pointing in the right direction now?

Best, Pete.

I think Trevor that Britmodeller goes 1 step too far IMO.

I think that we should have as stated above

USA & Can forum

Group builds - sub forum

Covhop builds - child board

Tony's MKT 2 bay hopper - thread

Then have several child forums ie Tank cars, Gons, Locos, Box cars etc Then the only posts on the child boards will be actual projects.

Dave

Dave .....I was not advocating a complete copy ...just illustrating to Pete and others what is possible ...

Regards Trevor ... :sungum:

Now I'm confused. The Covhop thread and this one seem to be merged. I don't think I did this? And the Covhop thread link points to Tony's great build.

Would it help if I started the covhop thread again from scratch?

I like the idea of sub-fora if that's possible, but I didn't mean to cause a lot of work when i made the original suggestion.

Dave .....I was not advocating a complete copy ...just illustrating to Pete and others what is possible ...

Thats ok Trevor

Didn't mean to come across abrupt, suppose I was replying to Pete aswell about what I thought would be a good idea.

Dave

I like the idea of sub-fora if that's possible, but I didn't mean to cause a lot of work when i made the original suggestion.

Jon ....

the idea is a good one ..and the alteration to the forum format will be an improvement...and probably will start to appear in other areas as soon as we are up and running ...

Now I'm confused. The Covhop thread and this one seem to be merged. I don't think I did this? And the Covhop thread link points to Tony's great build. Would it help if I started the covhop thread again from scratch? I like the idea of sub-fora if that's possible, but I didn't mean to cause a lot of work when i made the original suggestion.

Dunno but Andy said he wanted the dust to settle before messing around anymore...I suggest you keep track of the Post #'s until such time.

Best, Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

I've asked Pete to untangle this thread if possible, but in the meantime, now we have the sub-fora here's how I would suggest the group builds work:

The "sponsor" comes up with the idea for a build and posts the suggested topic in this main thread. Assuming a couple or more of our co-conspirators say "great idea, i'm in" or similar then create a thread for that group build. That's the place to discuss any rules, timescales, etc, for that particular thread. Everyone who wants to join in starts a topic for their own particular build, and the sponsor sets up a Topic for the completed items to be displayed (this could be the orginating topic for that group I think, but might be easier to see the wheat form the chaff if its a separate thread).

So if we take covered hoppers as an example, I'd set up a covered hoppers thread for chat and bouncing thoughts around, then each of us having a go - me, Tony, Alistarq, Dave, etc set up a thread for our individual projects.

I then set up a thread for the results and sit back and watch the magic happen - in this case I think Tony is miles head of the rest of us!

The beauty of the sub fora is that in the meantime all those brave, committed or just plain better motivated souls who don't need the KUTA (ask Trevor!) that the rest of us need, can get on with posting their individual projects, and we get to enjoy the results - NS GP anyone?

What do you think? - This is benevolent dictatorship, so I'm sure Pete or Andy will set us right if we're going about it completely the wrong way, but no point having hard and fast rules either, lets just see what works.

KUTA.............................Kick Up The Arse ......also can be used as a once a year group build to revitalise all those projects that have gone back in the box part built ...!! ;)

once my stitches are out and I can get back up in the loft ...I shall start on some MEC cement hoppers .....

Regards Trevor....... :sungum:

The idea was to let the Sub-Fora be fairly free flowing of ideas within the general framework of individual projects that are literally WIP. It was devised to cover "Group Builds" but not just them.

Ideas change over time and group builds may get played out...

Get better soon, Trevor!

Best, Pete.

The forum I mentioned above 'The weathering shop/rustbucket forum's work both ways. If they have a group challenge its posted up by the sponser in the same forum as general builds so to me these go hand in hand. On that forum an initial challenge thread is posted with all the details, then people who take part put up a work thread and when the challenge nears its end date the sponser puts up a post your finished images in here and after a few days a vote section is added to the OP.

Archived