Project Builds, Detailing, Painting, Weathering

MKT423 2 bay cement hopper

Tony, You want me to move this thread into the new Sub - Fora? It's open for business.....

Best, Pete.

I guess you could Pete now that it has settled down. As long as it goes ALL in one, not like the last ooops. :nono:

Thanks for your help.

Cheers, Tony

Tony, apologies if I've missed this earlier in the thread, but are you using an airbrush for the streaking, or dragging, or something else entirely?

You're good Jon, apo's not required on any of my threads.

Earlier on in this thread I mentioned where I did what I called 'pre-weathering', I posted an image of several very faint overall areas, not quite streaks. Remember that Jon. Those areas were done with an air brush. The image I posted yesterday was done by hand, (err - not the image, used a camera that :blum: ).

Rather than streak or drag these on I paint in the traditional way. Best way I can describe my technique is take the brush, dip in paint, wipe a tad off on a paper towel to suit the area versus amount I need to plonk on the selected area and simply pull the brush downward from the top to the bottom. To tell you the truth, no different when I/you, us, all of us I'm guessing, were taught to paint as kids when we were 4 or 5 years old. I know it sounds a bit blase and too simple for words in this hi-tech age, but really, that's all I'm doing.

I do mix the colors some. Picking up the minutest amount of grey and a little more of a sandy cream color but still with the majority of paint being the white. This gives a random mix of colors, not easily perceptible in the photo but definitely clearer when you see it in the flesh, as it were. I am bringing this model over to the UK in May as the study unit for my teaching course for Phil Atkinson at Hobby Holidays. I have no idea if its fully booked yet. Tim Shackleton will be tutoring alongside me his style of weathering. I'm bringing a couple of breathing masks with me. :mosking:

Cheers, Tony

This is the point where I decided to say this side is done.

post-6847-0-56414600-1331083828_thumb.jpg

And the prototype I used as my guide for this side.

post-6847-0-17851000-1331083884_thumb.jpg

And an image showing it in a nicer milieu complete with trucks fitted.

post-6847-0-73821300-1331084120_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Tony

Arrived at the end of this build. Here's the other side finally completed. I found this side far more difficult to accomplish than the first.

The wedding portrait.

post-6847-0-52416300-1331389626_thumb.jpg

The prototype image I used.

post-6847-0-27742000-1331389646_thumb.jpg

And maybe slightly more interesting.

post-6847-0-07396900-1331389691_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys for following this thread, has been fun to do.

Cheers, Tony

Pete, Thanks for your thanks. I can do something with HO finescale trackwork, I'd rather not go down the P:87 or P4 road and get all technical, but I can share my ideas. I'm building a new layout here at the house right now, perhaps this could be the vehicle to cover both trackwork and whatever comes along during a couple years of layout construction. The baseboards have been up for over 18 months now and its been only since this past Christmas that I have got my ugly butt in gear and started laying the road bed.

What ya reckon...?

Dave, thanks for your kind comment and your appreciation of this build. The cement silo - I didn't record much of its build with the camera. The model isn't really mine nor is it completely finished either, a favor for a friend but yet to be delivered and he's decided to stop modelling, burnt out he says. What can ya do...?

Got pix of it and a bunch of proto pix I based the model on, any idea where they should be posted..? I can describe much of what I did if you like too. :D

Martin & Jon, thanks guys, pleased you enjoyed the thread, I enjoyed doing it and appreciated your comments and questions, was all good fun.

Cheers, Tony

Tony,

Yes, please - so long as you don't mind taking the time to share.

You know I thought about what you "said" to me about HO Trackwork a couple of months ago and I believe that your pragmatic approach to HO is the way to go. I look forward to seeing/reading more detail as you construct.

I'm not terribly happy with the turnouts available over here in HO. Some are better than others but none are close to perfect.

Thanks, again, Pete.

Tony,

Yes, please - so long as you don't mind taking the time to share.

You know I thought about what you "said" to me about HO Trackwork a couple of months ago and I believe that your pragmatic approach to HO is the way to go. I look forward to seeing/reading more detail as you construct.

I'm not terribly happy with the turnouts available over here in HO. Some are better than others but none are close to perfect.

Thanks, again, Pete.

OK Pete, I'll run with it and rest assured I have no problems taking time to share. A casual thread and I'll post as I make steady progress. Similar to the way Jon G has been posting Sweet Home Alabama. As it happens its the perfect time from the HO turnout standpoint, I made yet another during this past week so I could press on with my roadbed. Let me give it some thought over the next few days before I start a new thread.

Would a thread such as this go in the USA & Canada work in progress section...?

Cheers, Tony

• 1 month later...

Pete, I have received an invite to present my switch clinic at the Collinsville, IL. (St Louis) RPM meet in July this year, which I accepted today. Chatting with John Golden I suggested that because I'm starting to crank up the switching building program for my layout, I have some 20 plus switches to build, that my presentation will be ALL fresh stuff. Images and several new ideas and techniques I have developed since I last presented my switch building clinic at St Louis in 2008. Fits in nicely for us here on RMWeb. My intent is to crank it up and start posting around third week of May after I get back home from the UK. Got Hobby Holidays teaching weathering to lead next weekend. Anyone who is attending, be sure you bring prototype photos. ;)

Cheers, Tony

P.S. Thanks for mailing the mag. I owe you one. :imsohappy:

I just picked up (one of the last) Exactrail MKT Covhops at The Model Railroad Store in Piscataway (great store btw if in New York area and about 400 yards from the former Lehigh Valley mainline now used by NS).

Best, Pete.

Archived