iPhone/iTouch throttles all round

I don't know who else would have noticed this product, which comes alongside the JMRI 2.7.9 test/development release

http://withrottle.com/WiThrottle/Home.html

Essentially, WiFi throttle application on iPhone/iTouch, connects to wireless access point, from there to PC running JMRI connected to your command station. Net result, wireless throttle on your iPhone to your DCC system.

If you had to buy all the parts, rather expensive. If you have the bits lying around, then I guess like the ECoS only iPhone/iTouch throttle, its cheap.

There is also some software around to make Windows7 run its WiFi as an access point, rather than bodging stuff with Internet Connection Sharing, it saves getting a separate access point.

Guest RAFHAAA

Nice spot thanks Nigel. My wife is getting an IPod Touch for xmas ... will have to ask if I can borrow it when the app comes out. rolleyes.gif

Take a look at Rocrail - the masterminds over there have also gotten control sussed via these small handheld devices.

Rob

The older JMRI has support for accessing bits of it via the web and web browsers so any moderately competent internet capable device can in theory access JMRI if you set it up that way. Mind you the way phones are going it won't belong before you can run JMRI on the phone with a bluetooth link to the booster 8)

The wifi stuff isn't all its cracked up to be - while you can use it with JMRI as a remote throttle having the wireless device go "boop boop, splat" (dead battery) is a bit disturbing unless you are close to the real controller....

• RMweb Premium

IMHO, it would be better to have a direct wireless link between phone and command station rather than going via a PC's wifi. So for me a Bluetooth dongle to plug into Lenz's XpressNet would be about ideal :)

I have an Iphone, I wouldnt recommend using it as a throttle control.

If you have the WiFi enabled, it uses a lot of battery power, and with the touch screen being permanentley on so you can use the controls, that will make the power usage even higher.

So you would need it plugged in, and the power lead isn't that long.

I use mine in the garage in a speaker dock, to listen to very loud music. A better app would be the spinnal tap setting 11 on the volume B)

Ballasting just flys by then.

• RMweb Gold
I have an Iphone, I wouldnt recommend using it as a throttle control.

If you have the WiFi enabled, it uses a lot of battery power, and with the touch screen being permanentley on so you can use the controls, that will make the power usage even higher.

So you would need it plugged in, and the power lead isn't that long.

I would recommend using an iPhone as a wireless throttle especially TouchCab, it makes controlling trains so much easier and fun.

You don't have to have it plugged in, I have used TouchCab for quite extensive periods and have experienced no severe loss of power than is normal for an iPhone.

If you need to top it up it is not that difficult to either get a USB extension lead for the power lead or just get an extension cable to plug into, and if you are using a computer you can always plug it into that!

I am interested in looking WiThrottle but if you have an ECoS, TouchCab only needs a wireless router and doesn't require a computer which you will need for JMRI. Personally I think TouchCab has a much better user interface.

Peter

• RMweb Gold
I must admit that reading this thread made me cringe. I play model railways to get away from mobile telephones and other communication devices.

David if you want to get away from mobile telephones you can always use it on an iPod Touch!

Peter

Archived