LNWR 0-6-2 Coal Tank - did Buxton have any?

Joe MCMLXI

Hi,does anyone know if Webbs 0-6-2T 'Coal Tanks' could be found at, or around Buxton, on the LNWR lines? I've tried searching on the 'net, but as such have found no details, though I think they were found at Stockport. Was this as close as they got to Buxton?

thanks, joe

Foxline Scenes from the past no 24 "Railways of the High Peak Buxton - engines & men" (ISBN 1-870119-38-x)

Page 24 has photos of nos 168 & another of 2361, both LNWR 0-6-2 locos, at Buxton around 1921 & 1900 respectivley. Page 26 & 27 has several photos of 1635 being recovered after plunging over the edge at the end of the turntable road around 1900. The book doesn't say wether these locos where allocated to Buxton, or just visiting however.

Brit15

• Like 1

"Bashers Gadgets & Mourners" published by the Bahamas Loco Society http://www.billhudsontransportbooks.co.uk/selected-product.php?pid=3599 states that they were allocated to Buxton from 1886 to 'the 1920s'. Initially used on passenger and freight workings but superceded by the 18" 0-6-2Ts (known as 'Watford Tanks'), they were used latterly on shunting and banking turns.

• Like 1

I've looked through my books and still cannot say if any Coal Tanks were based at Buxton. What they do tell us is the 5' 6" 2-4-2Ts were replaced by Watford 0-6-2Ts on passenger work, so it seems Buxton LNW required larger wheeled locos for these duties. Buxton also saw Whale 4-4-2Ts and Beames 4-6-2Ts as well as Prince of Wales 4-6-0s and of course 0-8-0s.

The Coal Tanks were pretty useless on freight because of poor brakes, hence their general use in later years on passenger work, and so the question is, what could Buxton use them for if passenger duties were handled by locos mentioned above.

• Like 1

Buxton was a sub shed of Longsight, as was Stockport and Altrincham - and all had Coal Tanks. They went to the area from new in 1881. Buxton used them, as elsewhere for passenger, mineral and banking duties (the latter up to Bibbingtons). These would all have been allocated within the Longsight district. It is interesting to note that in 1888 Longsight had more engines allocated to it than any other district shed on the LNWR (a total of 194), but that allocation would have included those they had at Buxton, Stockport etc. Allocation to either districts or individual sheds varied depending upon procedures at varying times of the LNWR LMS and BR.

The last Coal Tank allocated to Buxton was 7757 - it was there for one month from July to August 1948 before moving to Tredegar.

To say they were useless for goods train is silly. That's what these engines were designed for. As train weights became heavier, and the design of braking systems improved on later engines it is obvious that the Coal Tanks would be replaced by more capable engines if they were available. There is no doubt that compared to later engines the Coal Tank's power brakes were extremely poor, and would therefore be more suitable for passenger work where the vehicles were fitted with vacuum brakes. Coal tanks continued to work loose-coupled goods trains around Abergavenny, for example, well into the 1930s and probably much later.

I trust the above is of interest.

Regards

Pete

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 8 years later...

Having just 'finally' completed the body of my Coal Tank kit, long after Bachmann released 'their Coal Tank, I need to find it a number....

It would appear 64 loco's passed in to BR ownership in '48 ( source Wikipedia) , and were numbered in the 58880 range upwards...

As PWS above has confirmed, 7757 was allocated to Buxton, although very briefly, so this will be my chosen engine - becoming 58915 under BR.

Unfortunately, in this incredibly slow kit build, I have moved house and the 'Slancote' layout is no more....  But Slancote V2, is currently being planned, so hopefully it will grace the tracks in the future...... see you all again in a few years !!

joe

IMG_20200405_133114.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2012 at 11:24, coachmann said:

The Coal Tanks were pretty useless on freight because of poor brakes, hence their general use in later years on passenger work, and so the question is, what could Buxton use them for if passenger duties were handled by locos mentioned above.

While absolutely true, this didn't stop them going to the valleys in south Wales! As C. Hamilton Ellis says: Due to the gradients they rapidly became run down, in all senses of the word!

• Like 1