EBay madness

Marcyg

The only things that aren't awesome are the various coloured wools from their own Angora Goats, for some reason. It'd be really awesome if they came off the back of the Goats ready-coloured...

• Like 1

To be fair - I have bought a couple of half-decent items from Lineside and Locos - but almost all their stuff is second-hand to start with and sometimes of dubious quality.  I once bought a j38 from them on which the body was excellent but the chassis appalling. to be fair, they sent me another and were happy for me to make one good one out of the two by combining the original body with the replacement chassis and they took the unwanted bits back.  Which I thought was fair enough. I do get irritated though by the words 'Super Item' against every listing, regardless of whether it is or not!

Edited by orford
  • Like 1

Some strange bidding activity there with 1***o bidding on the vast majority of items for sale from this seller, in fact over 50% of his recent activity has been with this one seller!

:stinker: Does make one wonder just what does go on with some of these 'traders'.

Hi All,

Could this be an example of the same 'trader' having two accounts and bidding with one to raise the 'bids' on the other.

Or perhaps is he getting a mate to put these bids in.

Seems very odd that almost every item from this seller has attracted a 'bid' from the same 'buyer'.

And what happens if the 'bidder' wins all of the auctions - he's going to need very deep pockets.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

How about 'RARE'?

At the moment 957,046 most of which aren't really what I would consider "rare", although this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bamboo-Steak-Marker-Picks-3-5-x-100-choose-design-/281269651280?pt=UK_BOI_Restaurant_RL&var=&hash=item417cfa4750 is one of the rare exceptions!

And what happens if the 'bidder' wins all of the auctions - he's going to need very deep pockets.

Pays for everything in cash, or promissory notes, IOUs, who is to say anything actually changes hands?

I have always believed this to be a fault of the ebay auction and is very difficult to prove. Even if it is against ebay rules (and possibly the law) I am not convinced that ebay really care. After all anything that bumps up a price will mean better returns for them, and the normal purchaser might not notice that the price has been bumped up.

• RMweb Gold

Pays for everything in cash, or promissory notes, IOUs, who is to say anything actually changes hands?

Really he'd have to agree with the buyer (himself) to cancel the deal. If it ends as a completed sale eBay will be wanting their final value fees.

Really he'd have to agree with the buyer (himself) to cancel the deal. If it ends as a completed sale eBay will be wanting their final value fees.

He may be prepared to accept that as a cost of doing business compared to the times it works out as planned and the price is bumped up for a genuine buyer.

Or, he could just say the buyer failed to pay and relist it (or give a second chance offer at the last genuine bumpted up price)

Edited by Kenton

• RMweb Premium

I have always believed this to be a fault of the ebay auction and is very difficult to prove. Even if it is against ebay rules (and possibly the law) I am not convinced that ebay really care. After all anything that bumps up a price will mean better returns for them, and the normal purchaser might not notice that the price has been bumped up.

Why should they care? The vast majority of links posted here usually involve actions that are likely to REDUCE the price paid for in an action. Stuff like way over priced, C**p paint jobs, lousy photos, poor descriptions etc, clearly aren't going to sell for what the owners want.

More trouble than its worth to eBay, to chase up.

Talking of Ebay madness, having recently discovered its delights, I'm getting annoyed by the number of UK auctions which finish at silly-o-clock in my nighttime... Luckily the baby is an excellent alarm clock...

Squid - whilst I'm likely to incur the wrath of some folks on here for suggesting it and who detest the activity, use a "Sniping" program if you're bidding on things that will close when you're unavailable/sleeping (or ANY TIME actually, as it removes you from having to sit there and pound the keyboard at the last moment)...

Set your maximum bid in the program days before the close and walk away, no-one knows you're in the running until the program fires off your bid (usually 6-15 seconds before the auction closes) and you stand a very good chance of winning more often than not.

Getting flak jacket and heading for the bomb shelter...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Squid - whilst I'm likely to incur the wrath of some folks on here for suggesting it and who detest the activity, use a "Sniping" program if you're bidding on things that will close when you're unavailable/sleeping (or ANY TIME actually, as it removes you from having to sit there and pound the keyboard at the last moment)...

Set your maximum bid in the program days before the close and walk away, no-one knows you're in the running until the program fires off your bid (usually 6-15 seconds before the auction closes) and you stand a very good chance of winning more often than not.

Getting flak jacket and heading for the bomb shelter...

As I frequently bid on commission in 'real' auctions (mainly for postcards and ephemera) I can't see the problem with a  snipe bid apart from it possibly being a tad upsetting as it only appears at the last minute whereas a commission bid simply sits there until reached.  Either way the buyer sets his limit and it's with other buyers to outbid him (with their own snipe bids dare I say when it comes to Ebay).

The reality of any auction is that providing all the bidding is legitimate you will, as a buyer, only pay want you are prepared to pay - unless bidding favour takes hold (in which case more fool you, but it can sometimes be fun).

Not only that, there are other useful features sniping programs can have - the one I use allows you to put several auctions in a 'group'.  It will bid on the first to finish, if you don't win it will automatically bid on the next one. when you win it stops.  There was a guy selling brand new high spec but end of line tom-tom sat navs, he clearly had quite a few as he had about half a dozen listings finishing throughout every day. Despite them being identical, the final bid price generally varied widely from just under £100 to nearly £300 when people got carried away. I put all the auctions in a 'group' with a low max bid based upon the lowest price I had seen them go for over the last few weeks and let it run.  A few days later guess who was the only bidder ever to pick one up for the starting price of  £50...

• Like 2

More eBay speculation. There are several of these listed at £22, memorable for the non BSL packaging they are in . They were all on sale at Doncaster for around the £10 mark last weekend.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K005-Pheonix-BSL-coach-kit-LMS-Stanier-62-corridor-brake-composite-/111597829261?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19fbbfbc8d

Mike Wiltshire

I will be interesting to see if the seller gets any bids on the coaches.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K005-Pheonix-BSL-coach-kit-LMS-Stanier-62-corridor-brake-composite-/111597829261?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19fbbfbc8d

He has listed a Kirk kit for £18.50 plus £4.00 postage about six times and not got any bids. Perhaps he could sell if he started at a lower price. Then he could get his money working.

I am not a businessman, but think that selling three items at each £2 profit is better than one item at £5 profit.

Thane of fife

• RMweb Premium

I will be interesting to see if the seller gets any bids on the coaches.

He has listed a Kirk kit for £18.50 plus £4.00 postage about six times and not got any bids. Perhaps he could sell if he started at a lower price. Then he could get his money working.

I am not a businessman, but think that selling three items at each £2 profit is better than one item at £5 profit.

Thane of fife

Or check whether it is a complete kit instead of not being arsed, then people might know what they are bidding on?

Mike.

That seller is one who STILL includes Ts & Cs which try to side-step his obligations with regard to who is responsible for sorting things out should his choice of delivery operatives fail to successfully deliver to goods he sent. Accordingly, much of the Swiss-outline stock which he has is still with him for sale instead of sitting on my shelves. I have instead bought what I want from vendors in Germany with less aggressive Ts & Cs, for similar prices taking P&P into account.

• Like 4

That seller is one who STILL includes Ts & Cs which try to side-step his obligations with regard to who is responsible for sorting things out should his choice of delivery operatives fail to successfully deliver to goods he sent. Accordingly, much of the Swiss-outline stock which he has is still with him for sale instead of sitting on my shelves...

Much of "his" Swiss-outline stock was actually sourced from me..... Must remember to list the next batch.

• Like 1