EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

Not sure what this says about yours truly (possibly that I'm a decent sort of chap who likes a bit of fair play) but not so long ago I left three of these on a somewhat out of place stall at a local Farmer's Market, priced at £30.00 apiece. I thought they were worth a fair bit but just hoped someone who actually wanted to run one might come by.... And I still hope they did. smile.gif

EDIT: interesting layout the 201's posed on - looks like the edge of the baseboard's been painted with impact adhesive and girder bridge mouldings randomly flung against it....

And this farmers market is where? Would love a couple at a decent price myself, I was out of the hobby when they came out, then missed them! I'm not willing to pay the high prices for them, after all paying that much for something only then to carry out extensive bashing including new running gear is a bit daunting for a beginner like me. Thank god I managed to stock up on a decent amount of Murphy's 141/181's in the meantime though!

I think it's the full Great Western wording that makes it that way , the ones I bought last year were marked

with GWR .

Could be wrong though .

And I thought it was the 4500-74 type that were difficult to get hold of, having lost out on many auctions.

• RMweb Gold

Anybody want an OO layout for a snip 9k+? If so there is just what you want on you know where! Worth every penny because it was built by a professional. :lol:

Have a look and then LOL.

36E

It's a layout I've always liked when I've seen articles about it in print and at close on £10K, I'd say it probably is worth every penny. I have no idea how much the builder would actually charge for his time, but taking an entirely arbitrary figure of £20 per hour and, say, a 35 hour working week, 3 months or so of solid work would cost you £9100, not including any materials (£20 x 35 hours x 13 weeks = £9100). I suspect that it would longer than that to build to that standard, and that £20 per hour might be on the cheap side.

"Have a look and then LOL.

36E"

From a layout point of view, I see nothing to laugh at. It's a very nice little layout.

But HOW MUCH?

No, no, no, no, no. You would have to find the one - the one that's born every minute, to sell it for that price.:lol:

Starting bid 600 quid, and it might see some interest. (Not from me):rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold

Ask your self Could you build the above layout for £600 to that quality??? No I thought not. It is all a matter of perspective one never gets ones money back when selling a layout because you cannot ever charge the correct rate for your labour.

That was one of the things I was driving at in in my earlier post. We seldom seem to think about the cost of our time because it's our hobby. It is quite a sobering thought to price up the hours we 'spend' on our layouts, or to reckon what someone might charge to put the effort in for us on a 'professional' basis.

I don't think you could even get the materials for £600. For a start, there's at least 15 points, which is about £200 in itself (points, motors, switches), before you even consider the amount of peco flexitrack or anything to do with scenery, buildings, woodwork, wiring....

• RMweb Gold

I'd seen from a recent Model Rail that Tupdale was for sale, and it is an amaxing layout - certainly one I'd love tohave if I had the space and the money. Is it worth £10,000? Not sure, but this auction will find out if it is. Something is usually only worth what someone else is prepared to pay for it, but the listing is correct in saying that it would cost a lot more to build, today. Bear in mind virtually all the buildings are scratch built for the location.

I think not including stock at that price is perhaps asking a bit much, though.

• Like 1

What a layout cost to build, and what it could be sold for a few years later, are two totally different beings.

I have dismantled no less than nine layouts in my lifetime, no one would have wanted to buy them. Not because I'm a bad modeller, because I am a very good modeller. No one wants another man's empire. A used layout has to be one of the hardest things to sell. For a halfway realistic price that is.

I currently have three layouts, a British 00 almost complete, a USA Maine Seaport layout, built to be dismantle-able, 99percent complete, and a USA On30 portable layout 50percent done, could I sell any of them for a quarter of what they cost? No. Especially if time to build was taken into account.

Knowing the value of a layout is easy for anyone who has built one. Realizing that value in a sale - impossible. :(

Melmoth makes an excellent point.

When time permits I respray locos and sell them on eBay, there's absolutely no connection between the time a project takes and the price it achieves.

It's purely driven by how much one (or more) people want that item.

Even "simple" resprays take 2-3 hrs work, if I was a professional model maker trying to earn a living doing this I'd have to charge a min of £50 per model (just for the labour, nver mind paints, decals etc).

Sometimes I get a mark-up of £10, sometimes £100 (great :D), it all depends on who's bidding and how much they want that particular loco compared with the other bidders.

So, you have to remember that the price something like this layout will achieve is not based on what you and I think it's worth, but what someone (or some people) who would

love a ready-made layout will pay, several interested parties and you've got a healthy bidding environment...

• Like 2

I'd seen from a recent Model Rail that Tupdale was for sale, and it is an amaxing layout - certainly one I'd love tohave if I had the space and the money. Is it worth £10,000? Not sure, but this auction will find out if it is. Something is usually only worth what someone else is prepared to pay for it, but the listing is correct in saying that it would cost a lot more to build, today. Bear in mind virtually all the buildings are scratch built for the location.

I think not including stock at that price is perhaps asking a bit much, though.

I think Tupdale looks great and as a ready-made high quality roundy layout it would probably be something many well heeled empty-nesters would aspire to. All they need's the readies.

Here's an idea - he wouldn't feel this out of his small change, and wouldn't it be a much better way for that Shrek-like millionaire Wayne Rooney to spend his idle evenings wink.gif

• RMweb Gold

Anybody want an OO layout for a snip 9k+? If so there is just what you want on you know where! Worth every penny because it was built by a professional. :lol:

Have a look and then LOL.

36E

It looks a very nice layout. I looked at the layout, then looked at the price, and promptly spat my tea out! A bit out of most peoples pocket me thinks!

• RMweb Gold

Here's an eBay item I don't understand:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TMC-Hornby-RailRoad-BR-Black-9F-92214-Un-Named-Pristine-/250680147927?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3a5db37fd7#ht_2725wt_911

Am I missing something on this one? They're charging the same price as a Baccy 9f! They must be some expensive decals if its a renumbering job!

That tudale is a great layout, exactly what I would like to have for my 00 stock and built to a higher standard than I could at the moment. If it was not for the price and the fact that transport a 1 pound per mile to Australia would double the cost it would be a done deal wink.gif