EBay madness

Marcyg

Just browsing through e-bay and found a Peco single slip, £58.55; Hattons do it for £32 +£2 postage... But then the e-bay lot has free postage - maybe people see that before they look at the price?

How long ago was it purchased?

£10.99 at time of purchase may well

be worth £15 or even more now.

Almost certainly way more... illustrates how buying for £10 15/20 years ago and keeping an item doesn’t actually make you money...

• RMweb Gold

How long ago was it purchased?

£10.99 at time of purchase may well

be worth £15 or even more now.

Almost certainly way more... illustrates how buying for £10 15/20 years ago and keeping an item doesn’t actually make you money...

£15..

£1.80 ebay fees

£0.52 PayPal fees

£2.79 hermes delivery

£9.89 balance recieved.

Seller loses 11p, unless the buyer buys multiple to combine postage.

How much compound interest would the seller have paid to the bank in 8 years since the coach was made ?.. say 3.75%... that’s £3.63 ...

Sellers now got.. £6.26

Suppose they pay VAT on the sale... £3 @20%

Sellers is now down to £3.26

Assuming a 40% markup on cost price, they paid £6 for that coach..

So overall loss of £2.74

With inflation since 2010, £6 is worth £7.38 today, so the £1.38 difference is added to that loss compounding it to £4.12

Then costs of running a business, salary etc..

If he was in it for the money he should be asking at least £25 for that coach... but then who would buy it ?

£3.00 ebay fees

£0.87 PayPal fees

£2.79 hermes delivery

£5.00 vat

£3.63 compound interest

£6.00 original cost price

———

£21.29 costs / £3.61 profit (buyer is located in Barbican so it’ll buy half a pint of beer for the cost of looking after a coach for 8 years)... let’s hope he sells more than one eh ?

Oh and finally... £6 in 2010 with inflation is £7.38... so that £3.61 profit only has actual spending power of £2.23.. so actually he needs to consider selling it for £35... :-)

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

£15..

£1.80 ebay fees

£0.52 PayPal fees

£2.79 hermes delivery

£9.89 balance recieved.

Seller loses 11p, unless the buyer buys multiple to combine postage.

How much compound interest would the seller have paid to the bank in 8 years since the coach was made ?.. say 3.75%... that’s £3.63 ...

Sellers now got.. £6.26

Suppose they pay VAT on the sale... £3 @20%

Sellers is now down to £3.26

Assuming a 40% markup on cost price, they paid £6 for that coach..

So overall loss of £2.74

With inflation since 2010, £6 is worth £7.38 today, so the £1.38 difference is added to that loss compounding it to £4.12

Then costs of running a business, salary etc..

If he was in it for the money he should be asking at least £25 for that coach... but then who would buy it ?

£3.00 ebay fees

£0.87 PayPal fees

£2.79 hermes delivery

£5.00 vat

£3.63 compound interest

£6.00 original cost price

———

£21.29 costs / £3.61 profit (buyer is located in Barbican so it’ll buy half a pint of beer for the cost of looking after a coach for 8 years)... let’s hope he sells more than one eh ?

Oh and finally... £6 in 2010 with inflation is £7.38... so that £3.61 profit only has actual spending power of £2.23

Now to be even more pedantic...

Let’s say the box, combined with 8 others takes 1sq ft of space, in a 8ft high room 9x 8 = 72 coaches floor to ceiling...

If In a typical 1bed 50 sq m apartment in london (seller is in Barbican), that can theoretically store 3600 coaches.

The costs say £1000 per month, with £ 300 of bills.... for 8 years... £124,800 cost.

£ 124800/3600 = £34.66 storage costs per coach...

Now it’s really losing money...

typically storage utilisation is around 30% of actual space occupied, so I f he was utilising that space 30%...

then the loss is £104 + £4.12 = £108.12.

He’d be better off buying £6 of Hornby shares @£1 each in 2010 instead and not renting the space in london to make money from model trains... his loss would only be £4.66.

Of course had he bought the place in london in 2010 and sold it in 2018, he could afford to give the coach away.

:-)

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

Profit might not be your motive if, e.g., you're selling items for an estate, raising cash for other reasons. Maximising cash is not the same as maximising profit.

OK, I give in, you win...

• Like 1

Something has just popped out of my memory.... Several years ago there was a guy on e-bay selling 'rare' Airfix kit locomotives. The one that springs to mind was a Battle of Britain class, the tender, with a few wheels and other bits missing, painted in Dulux vivid green by 6" brush for £50; the loco was separate, in, if anything, worse condition for £60..... Wonder if anyone bought them?

My real annoyance are those people who will not post to the Isle of Wight; they class us as 'Highlands and Islands'. I have spotted some real bargains over the years, only to get 'Does not post to....' message appear on the screen. I know i could get it delivered to relatives/friends on the mainland and then sent on, but why should I cause them hassle? The few sellers who have responded to my question why?, They claim its because their courier charges extra... So why not use Royal Mail then - they manage to deliver here with no problem. Quite often ordered stuff one day and it is delivered the next day by the postie. Joke is that if I post a letter to another address on the Island, it goes to Portsmouth first to be sorted, then returns... I guess Royal Mail don't pay ferry fares...lol

Rant over, thank you for listening (if you got this far...lol)

Edited by ejgray52

It certainly looks like it’s been dunked in something dark and gooey - perhaps the Tyne Docks...

Cheers

Darius

Looks more like it was dropped in the local latrine and recovered a few days later! :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Missed opportunities. Number one.

I remember looking at a basket full of these at an exhibition a few years ago to see whether they would make into a decent representation of the engineering department vans, but decided they were too much like hard work to de-Thomasify them, so passed on them.

The cost? £5 each, as according to the stallholder, nobody wanted them!

Mike.

You snooze, you lose........

:)

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

This post is not so much about the possible madness of eBay buyers/sellers as the apparent madness of eBay itself.

I did my usual search for N gauge this morning.

Now I have become accustomed to the occasional rogue result either due to stuff being listed in the wrong category or the eBay search showing stuff just because the title includes an N, but today's search results included:

Christmas Cards

Valentine's Cards

Colouring Pens

Dulux Paint

Deoderant for Athletes

Treatment for a Unitary Tract Infection !