EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, markneilp14 said:

I know its not ebay but is in fact the 2nd hand area of Hattons on line sales. This just goes to prove how deluded people are who put stuff up for sale on line.

It looks awful crude and is in no way worth the asking price of £300

I wish Hattons would realise that they are deluding themselves sometimes

https://www.hattons.co.uk/502015/kitbuilt_kb811_po_class_n2_0_6_2t_1884_in_lner_black_pre_owned_kit_built_intermittent_runner/stockdetail.aspx

Mark

Perhaps its the crudeness that makes it unique thus worth more.

• RMweb Premium

I remember the R219 NSE Class 47.  It was one that had a sheet of different names and the last three digits of the bodyside numbers so you could choose your own (there was a Railfreight Triple Grey model at the same time with the same format) except there was no guide as to where the nameplates were supposed to go (hence why this example is noticeably wrong) the numerals were a different size to the printed 47 on the model and at least one if not two of the name/number options were wrong for that version of the livery.

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Does shouting “BUILD” make the model superior to just a “build”?

Darius

• Funny 3

2 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Does shouting “BUILD” make the model superior to just a “build”?

Darius

Seeing the not inconsiderable 'list to port' & poor paintwork of the smokebox, I'd say, 'no'!

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Agree 2

Guest Half-full
On 06/02/2020 at 10:25, AlexHolt said:

Yes it was one of the cheapest when I looked, although the recommended ones that I see are in East Coast Livery. This one is in West Coast. Rails have the two liveries in stock for £165 though so don't know why people think they can get away with selling these for more than they are new at the moment.

Some people pay ridiculous prices for stuff on eBay, not the sellers fault!

Continuing the great British tradition of "If it's O Scale, then it MUST be expensive"....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAKER-UNKNOWN-MODEL-No-XXX-PLYMOUTH-0-6-0-DIESEL-SWITCHER-BODY-SHELL-ONLY/303476122191?hash=item46a896224f:g:IZoAAOSwyNBePIAv

£47.50 for an incomplete bodyshell only, when the loco as a whole (& yes, it is Atlas, as a quick Google would show!!) often sells for a lot less. :rolleyes: :fool:

I actually checked to see if the seller was our famous friend Gosturd. :mosking:

15 minutes ago, AlexHolt said:

Found these whilst looking for some pullman coaches. Described as new, photos show some badly stuck on names which quite obviously suggests they are not new. You can get 4 of the super detailed coaches for this amount of money. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-OO-PULLMAN-COACHES-THE-YORKSHIRE-PULLMAN-Rake-of-4-NEW/202881664294

Similar stupid price to the other ones I found, these seem like they are intended to mislead. 'With table lamps' is mentioned in the title and description as if to make people think that they are the super detail models with the working table lamps. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Rake-4-Pullman-coach-set-with-table-lamps-OO-Gauge-Nr-Mint-Condition/264604554898

Aren't the Yorkshire Pullman coaches from the Railroad Range?  i.e. not Super Detailed.

Those ones 'With table lamps' - does anyone else think it strange that they are not displaying any name or number?

4 hours ago, markneilp14 said:

Hattons again..............

They want money for this badly warped model even with DCC chip it is not worth the £135 they are asking

https://www.hattons.co.uk/515582/hornby_r3440_po03_class_p2_2_8_2_2001_cock_o_the_north_in_lner_apple_green_gloss_finish_pre_owne/stockdetail.aspx

I noticed they say:

Engine body slightly loose from chassis

Does that mean dropped?

14 hours ago, royaloak said:

I was hoping that they would not question it too much to be honest as i made them a low offer based on it being damaged.

After all their 2nd hand prices are nearly always more than the new prices for the same or equivalent models.

I still suspect it has been mishandled or dropped at some point so i now would not touch this based on the fact that i want to inspect it all over first.

Also it would be useful if the people at Hattons could try to take a decent pic and make sure that the model is presented well.

The people who deal with these models are not model railway people and have no real idea.

by the way i offered them £10 plus the postage,

I know i was trying/pushing my luck!!!

• RMweb Premium
On 08/02/2020 at 19:40, Half-full said:

Some people pay ridiculous prices for stuff on eBay, not the sellers fault!

And now for a philosophical interlude.

We think it is ridiculous because our core value is getting value for money.

If you were filthy rich from a lucrative but busy job (eBay seller for example, but I digress)  you might value your time more highly than money and not care what you pay

In this scenario the buyer is happy, the seller is happy and as long as we discount this theory and carry on laughing at them, we are also happy.

I'll get my coat. Just give me a couple of weeks to compare prices....

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Funny 2