EBay madness

Marcyg

12 hours ago, markneilp14 said:

I was hoping that they would not question it too much to be honest as i made them a low offer based on it being damaged.

After all their 2nd hand prices are nearly always more than the new prices for the same or equivalent models.

I still suspect it has been mishandled or dropped at some point so i now would not touch this based on the fact that i want to inspect it all over first.

Also it would be useful if the people at Hattons could try to take a decent pic and make sure that the model is presented well.

The people who deal with these models are not model railway people and have no real idea.

by the way i offered them £10 plus the postage,

I know i was trying/pushing my luck!!!

If you compare the before and after pictures it looks to me as if the boiler is broken behind the 'smokebox' at the first white boiler band, and the running plate split just behind the smoke deflector, buyer beware.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, royaloak said:

If you compare the before and after pictures it looks to me as if the boiler is broken behind the 'smokebox' at the first white boiler band, and the running plate split just behind the smoke deflector, buyer beware.

oh i agree but i offered them a tenner on the basis that something is better than nothing !!!!

did not work sadly 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, surfsup said:

Did the "PRO WEATHERED LOOK" Involve dropping it into a muddy river? Unfortunately no CDA I know of has ever looked like that. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402079401898?ul_noapp=true

Some might say you are very polite to call it a "muddy river" ;)

I was think of something much more like an effluent outlet. 

Anyway, they seem quite proud of their creations.

The aim of weathering is to give the models a sense of realism that they simply dont have straight out of the box and remove their plastic appearance. In reality even within a few days of service locos and wagons become dirtied so why not replicate this in model form. From track dirt to exhaust fumes it can all be replicated by TheWeatheringWorks.

As well as selling weathered stock direct I also offer a weathering service by which you send me whatever you would like weathering and i send it back to you weathered to your desires.

Prices for the weathering service can be found on the Weathering service page. This service varies from a dusting of dirt to reflect stock not long in service to a thoroughly uncared for and dirty piece which has chipped faded paintwork etc. A multitude of colours, techniques and mediums are used to enhance the appearance of your stock.

http://www.theweatheringworks.co.uk/

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Some might say you are very polite to call it a "muddy river" ;)

I was think of something much more like an effluent outlet. 

Anyway, they seem quite proud of their creations.

http://www.theweatheringworks.co.uk/

Looking at the splatter pattern on the Western on their homepage it looks like it was sat next to something that exploded.  Maybe there was a blockage in the airbrush that suddenly cleared...

Cheers

Darius

• Funny 2

15 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Looking at the splatter pattern on the Western on their homepage it looks like it was sat next to something that exploded.  Maybe there was a blockage in the airbrush that suddenly cleared...

Cheers

Darius

Folks (like me) who have lived on the coast would often find that kind of "weathering pattern" on anything that didn't move. We'd usually assume a flock of incontinent seagulls had just flown by. Not for nothing did we call them "shyt hawks". Maybe this Western is stored somewhere like Swansea Fish Dock?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Perhaps there is a clue to colour in the name - China Clay - as to colour and constituency?

In my youth, we used to visit my grandparents in Plympton. They lived opposite Tavistock Junction marshalling yard  :) separated by the Tory Brook, which used to run white! (cleaned up now).

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Il Grifone said:

Perhaps there is a clue to colour in the name - China Clay - as to colour and constituency?

Perhaps "PRO WEATHERED LOOK" means that the seller is creating the impression of the item having been weathered by a professional rather than actually having been weathered by a professional.

That way all the weathering can essentially be the same with the minimum of colours used - sewage brown being the favourite.

Cheers

Darius

PS - I should admit that I am guilty of this myself - I have also fallen into the TEA trap - but I tend to limit weathering to the underframes of locos and rolling stock unless I am feeling adventurous.  I also do not consider myself to be a pro (with respect to weatherering that is).

• Like 2
  • Funny 2