EBay madness

Marcyg

3 hours ago, ian.dunn46 said:

Maybe his girlfriend told him to sell all of his stuff, and when it doesn't sell he'll say that he will have to keep it as no one wants it!

Might buy it, just to be sadistic.

Edited by Iskra
  • Funny 3

11 hours ago, MartinWales said:

Underground!

Not quite, downstairs is full of motorcycles, ancient bicycles and god knows what.

At least we're not those weirdos that like football, celebrity TV, golf etc who think that anything to do with trains is for middle aged bachelors who still live with their mothers. ;)

They really are weird.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Not quite, downstairs is full of motorcycles, ancient bicycles and god knows what.

At least we're not those weirdos that like football, celebrity TV, golf etc who think that anything to do with trains is for middle aged bachelors who still live with their mothers. ;)

They really are weird.

Yes.....what is it with those weirdos? :lol:

• Funny 3

10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

They really are weird.

So you've got an Ernst Stavro Blofeld type lair, acessed only by lift with some large world maps and a huge globe then............?:rolleyes:

• Funny 4

2 hours ago, MartinWales said:

So you've got an Ernst Stavro Blofeld type lair, acessed only by lift with some large world maps and a huge globe then............?

He didn't mention a large, fluffy white cat....  :jester:

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, MartinWales said:

So you've got an Ernst Stavro Blofeld type lair, acessed only by lift with some large world maps and a huge globe then............?:rolleyes:

Hm, I wish. Try five oddly shaped rooms over what used to be a store and stables for a shop. The upside is that there is plenty of room for our junk and 20' x 2' of railway.

Ni Persian cats, they're kryptonite to my other half. She has a nasty habit of bursting into flames if she gets too near to one.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Whatever this seller is drinking, I want to stay far, very far, away from it:

These retail for about $150.00 or less!

And the missing box

They were first listed at $11,000 then upped to $12,000! :huh:

Doesn't ship to United Kingdom - so I'm safe.........

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Must admit I didn't look at the scale! Though at $14,070 including postage, I would expect him to throw in a few HO scale Union Pacific Big Boys, Shay logging engines and a scattering of 1930s streamliners.

Or perhaps a restoration project 1949 Buick Riviera Roadmaster hardtop....

I'm not fussy!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

49 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Or maybe a Studebaker? :jester:

I did get offered a Studebaker once, a 1955 Starliner IIRC.

Unfortunately it had been in England from new and had been dumped under a tree since about the time LBJ was in charge of it's homeland. :wacko:

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I did get offered a Studebaker once, a 1955 Starliner IIRC.

Unfortunately it had been in England from new and had been dumped under a tree since about the time LBJ was in charge of it's homeland. :wacko:

I'd prefer an Impala or a Corvair! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Not as bonkers as some, but this kit is only £18.00 brand new from 51L/Wizard:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unbuilt-51L-kit-for-NER-Perishable-Goods-Van-diagram-F9/174270263209#vi__app-cvip-panel

Same goes for a lot of other wagon kits on the bay of E.  Don’t people do a quick web search before bidding?

• Funny 1

But it sold! I often think that it's just people being lazy. I bought a Scale Link fret brand new from the manufacturers recently, for about half what the same thing sold for on eBay. I suspect it was because one of the main agents had it as Out of stock, new stock TBA on their website. I don't mind saving myself a tenner for five minutes trawling the internet

• Like 3

I get the impression that many of the model railway bidders active on ebay are dealers buying from other dealers, marking the start price up, then starting the process again? Like a model railway 'Groundhog Day'? I dread to think how much quality model railway equipment is semi-permanently 'locked out of use' whilst being sold back and forth within the trade. Items bought/liberated from ebay by actual modellers might be considered 'rescued'? From past conversations I have had, it would appear that the same big traders tend to hoover up quality models and kit-built stock from other traders at shows - before the doors open to the public. I'm sure any sale for a trader is always welcome but might they be betraying their show-visiting - modelling - customers; customers denied the advantage of being present as stock boxes are unpacked and stalls set up?

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I get the impression that many of the model railway bidders active on ebay are dealers buying from other dealers, marking the start price up, then starting the process again? Like a model railway 'Groundhog Day'? I dread to think how much quality model railway equipment is semi-permanently 'locked out of use' whilst being sold back and forth within the trade. Items bought/liberated from ebay by actual modellers might be considered 'rescued'? From past conversations I have had, it would appear that the same big traders tend to hoover up quality models and kit-built stock from other traders at shows - before the doors open to the public. I'm sure any sale for a trader is always welcome but might they be betraying their show-visiting - modelling - customers; customers denied the advantage of being present as stock boxes are unpacked and stalls set up?

I suspect that you have hit the nail on the head there. I know for a fact that is exactly what happens at autojumbles. You would roll up at 8am and the professional dealers would be trying to climb in the van to be the first to see what you had got. Conversation would often go like this:

"Will you take a fiver for this old lamp mate? It's a bit grotty"

"You do know what it's off don't you? Give me the £80 on the price tag, spend £40 on getting it re-chromed and you'll get £300 for it.

Just like the one you already have on YOUR stall - mate..."

They'd generally stalk off in a huff. Some would strike a good deal, others didn't just want a good profit, they wanted ALL the profit. I got sick of pointing out that it was supposed to be a hobby and a lot of one make car clubs have broken up because of greedy %#@$¥s.

I used to see body panels I had sold a year or two earlier (recognisable by the make and model written on it by myself in white marker) moving from dealer to dealer and going up in price by £20 or so.

Whether or not they ever got painted and fitted to a classic car, or just continued to contribute to the false 'worth' of collectors items, I haven't a clue!

I have absolutely no doubt that exactly the same thing happens with model railway equipment, particularly the finescale, the low volume and rarer items.

In exactly the same way as the vintage car and motorcycle trades and the antique trade, there is often a mad scramble to jump on the latest bandwagon before the bottom drops out of the market.

I believe I have made my opinions clear about buying things that have a purpose with no intention of doing anything but stashing them away.

Would you marry your favourite Hollywood actress and then sleep on the couch?:blink:

• Like 4
  • Agree 3