EBay madness

Marcyg

1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

Actually in a strange way I quite like it...

At least he's not asking stupid money for it!

Though it does make me think of the days when manufacturers would take a tank engine and give it all of the big four liveries, BR black and lined green!

Think of the possibilities, take an old black Hornby 9f, paint the smokebox silver = Baltimore & Ohio Decapod. Paint the wheels red instead, Deutsch Reichsbahn Kriegslok.

Ok, getting silly. But I hear a lot of "Rule 1" round here. I confess to hacking a Triang Davy Crockett coach body into something vaguely light railway colonial style!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

After watching these three auctions to their close, I emailed SE Finecast and ordered a new LNER Sentinel railcard  kit plus Tenshodo bogie for £128.50 inc postage...

Went for £155

Went for £230

Went for £254!!!

Should I just bang my SE Finecast kit straight into eBay when it arrives?  (Except - I actually want a Sentinel railcard for the *layout*, not my bank account.)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, RichardT said:

After watching these three auctions to their close, I emailed SE Finecast and ordered a new LNER Sentinel railcard  kit plus Tenshodo bogie for £128.50 inc postage...

Went for £155

Went for £230

Went for £254!!!

Should I just bang my SE Finecast kit straight into eBay when it arrives?  (Except - I actually want a Sentinel railcard for the *layout*, not my bank account.)

Yes, the seller did really well on many of his items - the same bloke had both those Raven Pacifics that were discussed at length on various social media for sale at the same time. Good luck to him, I say - and I do hope that his listings were on a 'fixed fee' eBay offer... :)

Mark

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, MarkC said:

the same bloke had both those Raven Pacifics that were discussed at length on various social media for sale at the same time. Good luck to him...

I agree - although I really wanted one of those Raven Pacifics!

Mark - where was the discussion about the Pacifics?  On RMweb? Or elsewhere?  I missed that...

Richard

Edited by RichardT
Adding a question
  • Friendly/supportive 1

24 minutes ago, RichardT said:

I agree - although I really wanted one of those Raven Pacifics!

Mark - where was the discussion about the Pacifics?  On RMweb? Or elsewhere?  I missed that...

Richard

Hi Richard

There was a fair bit of chat on the Book of Face - in the LNER Modellers group, as well as elsewhere.

Mark

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, MarkC said:

Hi Richard

There was a fair bit of chat on the Book of Face - in the LNER Modellers group, as well as elsewhere.

Mark

Thanks Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Half-full said:

Looks as if its a modified Hornby Pacer. A cab at both ends would be better. 

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Looks as if its a modified Hornby Pacer. A cab at both ends would be better. 

I  have an idea for yellow paint and a Hornby 142....................

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, Half-full said:

What he didn't say is: "Would make a lovely splash in the canal".

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

I am becoming increasingly concerned that if I see another eBay listing with the word LOOK! , (LOOK) or worse still L@@K! in the title, I am liable to have a total wig out.

It's 1:15am, I am idly scrolling through eBay and the sellers are instructing me to LOOK!?

WHAT, in the name of SATAN'S BACKSIDE do they THINK I am doing??

Or am I just being unduly sensitive?

Good old PTSD has been giving me a kicking tonight to be honest. ;)

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

We haven't had an entry in the awful photograph category for a while.  Have a squint at this one!!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371-450A-GRAHAM-FARISH-CLASS-37-0-DIESEL-37041-BR-BLUE-N-GAUGE-6-DCC-NEW/133414012223?hash=item1f1018453f:g:~dkAAOSwBAFewswV

2 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

We haven't had an entry in the awful photograph category for a while.  Have a squint at this one!!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371-450A-GRAHAM-FARISH-CLASS-37-0-DIESEL-37041-BR-BLUE-N-GAUGE-6-DCC-NEW/133414012223?hash=item1f1018453f:g:~dkAAOSwBAFewswV

But at least the box label is in focus...

Headline also implies DCC to get eyeballs, Body text admits DCC Ready.

• Like 1

Can I say from a sellers perspective how shocked I am at what’s going on at the moment

Having been tasked with the disposal of a large amount of stock bequeathed to our charity which we would normally have sold on the secondhand stall at our annual exhibition (almost certainly cancelled for this year) I tentatively placed 6 items on yesterday evening. Within 8 minutes of one going live I was receiving offers and requests to sell off site.

As an example this one has me scratching my head since I figured they were £20 when new so opening up at £9.99 was about right but it’s been on one day into the seven and it’s already rocketed:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-44-221-Scenecraft-Low-Relief-underground-station-OO-Gauge/254599473641?hash=item3b474fa9e9:g:UOAAAOSw-5pewT-P

I know they are discontinued but still fairly niche - truly bemused.

Karl

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, corax67 said:

Can I say from a sellers perspective how shocked I am at what’s going on at the moment

Having been tasked with the disposal of a large amount of stock bequeathed to our charity which we would normally have sold on the secondhand stall at our annual exhibition (almost certainly cancelled for this year) I tentatively placed 6 items on yesterday evening. Within 8 minutes of one going live I was receiving offers and requests to sell off site.

As an example this one has me scratching my head since I figured they were £20 when new so opening up at £9.99 was about right but it’s been on one day into the seven and it’s already rocketed:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-44-221-Scenecraft-Low-Relief-underground-station-OO-Gauge/254599473641?hash=item3b474fa9e9:g:UOAAAOSw-5pewT-P

I know they are discontinued but still fairly niche - truly bemused.

Karl

Everyone is bored sitting around; so more people indulging and prepared to pay the big bucks for what they need next.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, corax67 said:

That's often a sign that it'll fetch a high bid.

My normal (part-capitalist) response is "it's an auction site - make a bid"

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

57 minutes ago, newbryford said:

That's often a sign that it'll fetch a high bid.

My normal (part-capitalist) response is "it's an auction site - make a bid"

Very true. I generally ignore unsolicited offers, because there are so many wannabe dealers out there and general chisellers.

Last year I sold some early 1950s Vauxhall parts for a mate. Starting bid £95. Within minutes a dealer offers £75, then £85 as there were no bids in the first two days.

When the clock ran out, they were at £245.00 plus £21.00 carriage.

'Nuff said! ^_^

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Very true. I generally ignore unsolicited offers, because there are so many wannabe dealers out there and general chisellers.

Last year I sold some early 1950s Vauxhall parts for a mate. Starting bid £95. Within minutes a dealer offers £75, then £85 as there were no bids in the first two days.

When the clock ran out, they were at £245.00 plus £21.00 carriage.

'Nuff said! ^_^

Certainly the odd item is a surprise.......a few of years a go I had an original Sony TC microphone and the very first made original steering wheel from a certain iconic fast car (don’t ask), we were moving so needed to either throw them out or the dreaded eBay........I won’t say exactly how much they made but together it was a shade under £10K :o and I was going to throw them into the skip!

And our other halves say WE spend too much on our hobby :lol:

Edited by boxbrownie
To protect the guilty LOL
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

It often surprises me just how much some people spend on their hobbies. Not just the ridiculous price that some model railway items command on eBay (just seen an old Hornby half cab pannier make £60) when people are moaning that "There's no money about".

Someone I used to know got all his designer bicycle parts sent to work so Mrs didn't find out and I remember him telling me that he had spent £800 on a pair of wheels.

I wouldn't / couldn't do that! Also a lot of my rusty bicycles tend to be free. I wish I could say the same for the motorcycles!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2