Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 'CHARD said:

Hornby Train Railroad 40 BR Blue Split Headcode 40152 OO Gauge Bobo Deltic

Anyone?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/224016683787?ul_noapp=true

Surely this is a troll?  

Note: "Resisted due to someone one pointing out it was not a Bachman,"

Bobo Deltic would be a great name for a Country & Western singer - and, come to think of it, not a bad RMWeb handle.

Cheers

Darius

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
On 20/05/2020 at 10:53, MartinWales said:

Absolutely not!!

Everything I buy on ebay is balanced by a sale, so one in one out!

Also I am completely honest and transparent about every item sold (possibly to the point of boredom according to my wife!)

You are Gostude. 
I claim my prize.

• Funny 3

19 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Bobo Deltic would be a great name for a Country & Western singer - and, come to think of it, not a bad RMWeb handle.

Cheers

Darius

I like that.

Clearly you are getting as bored a we did the other night. Coming up with ridiculous album titles for different types of music.

Laura Ashley Dalek was the winner.

It's no sillier than Atom heart mother.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I suspect that this is where Bachmann-Farish are getting their pricing data from for new N gauge wagons: £43.15 incl p&p...

Chivers N Gauge Kit Built Gresley CCT BR Maroon Finescale Farish 

Not too sure what is "finescale" about it: Peco code 80 and pizza-cutter wheels.  Nor, for that matter, what "Farish" has to do with an assembled Chivers' kit.

More seriously, I wish some way could be found to get the old Chivers kits back into production - some much-missed vehicle types in that range for both 2mm and 4mm modellers.

Regards

Richard

Edited by RichardT
Added closing price
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RichardT said:

I suspect that this is where Bachmann-Farish are getting their pricing data from for new N gauge wagons: £43.15 incl p&p...

Chivers N Gauge Kit Built Gresley CCT BR Maroon Finescale Farish 

Not too sure what is "finescale" about it: Peco code 80 and pizza-cutter wheels.  Nor, for that matter, what "Farish" has to do with an assembled Chivers' kit.

More seriously, I wish some way could be found to get the old Chivers kits back into production - some much-missed vehicle types in that range for both 2mm and 4mm modellers.

Regards

Richard

Yeh! Saw that one too, and exclaimed 'HOW MUCH'?

• RMweb Premium

N Scale stuff on Ebay has gone bonkers in the last couple of months. Over fifty sheets for a GF Mk2 coach the other day for example. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

I am slightly shellshocked - I know prices had gone way up but never expected this :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-44-221-Scenecraft-Low-Relief-underground-station-OO-Gauge/254599473641?hash=item3b474fa9e9:g:UOAAAOSw-5pewT-P

I know they are discontinued but £137 for a low relief underground entrance is frankly amazing.

Karl

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

8 hours ago, corax67 said:

I am slightly shellshocked - I know prices had gone way up but never expected this :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-44-221-Scenecraft-Low-Relief-underground-station-OO-Gauge/254599473641?hash=item3b474fa9e9:g:UOAAAOSw-5pewT-P

I know they are discontinued but £137 for a low relief underground entrance is frankly amazing.

Karl

7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

You should see the Bachmann 4 car underground set he is also selling, 9 bids to £490.00 with 6 days 18 hours to go.

Sorry folks, I'm all out of witticisms.

No witticisms required.

The seller is a member on here and has explained the situation, these are sales on behalf of a charitable organisation that he knew were worth more if auctioned than if flogged off in the shop.

Fair play to him, if people are willing to pay, why shouldn't any seller reap the reward?

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, corax67 said:

That explains that then :good_mini:

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

No witticisms required.

The seller is a member on here and has explained the situation, these are sales on behalf of a charitable organisation that he knew were worth more if auctioned than if flogged off in the shop.

Fair play to him, if people are willing to pay, why shouldn't any seller reap the reward?

Mike.

Or indeed the charity concerned!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

There is always a distinction between sellers listing badly described items and/or flying a kite as to ludicrous values; and the situation where accurately listed itesm are successfully selling for prices that are well above what they either sold for new or were selling for a few months ago. The first type can be entertaining although care should be taken not to descend into cruelty - we know not what issues the seller may have with personal circumstances, mental health etc.

The second type can often descend into jealousy or envy - model railway items are (and have been for many years) batch produced items for a niche market and supply and demand means that if a particular item sells out prices can rocket. They can also fall back in future years if another run or a superior item is produced. The Lockdown has produced a surge in both 'indoor' hobbies; and a restriction in the supply of goods - fewer auctions, no toyfairs or autojumbles, which are the kind of method by which the trade acquires goods to sell - and suddenly prices are hardening. The Bachmann London Underground items I would always have tipped as becoming premium items once they were no longer freely available. In that way they are little diffrenet from the Hornby Dublo or Triang EMUs or overhead electric locos, all of which were slow sellers when made but premium items as soon as they were deleted (although in most cases much cheaper now in real terms than 30 years ago because superior substitutes have subsequently been made).

One item that I have found has surged in price are the original Hornby HST models. Most enthusiasts won't give these a second look - short Mk3s, early Ringfield mechanism with poor pickups, and later better models from both Lima (budget) and Hornby (superdetail) models to cater for various needs. But they depict an iconic train and many people in their 40s and 50s would have had this as a train set item so suddenly all the ingredients are there for a price surge. In the past I have pciked up sets for £10 or £15 but in the current climate, no chance:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Inner-City-125-BR-High-Speed-Train-Set-trains-in-excellent-condition-/324170444378?hash=item4b7a106e5a%3Ag%3A0TAAAOSwrFtewvb6&nma=true&si=o6vujWM5gR4FCdbgJRWXxKuad5A%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Railways-Intercity-125-High-Speed-Electric-Train-Set-R685-1970-s-/174278364415?epid=1148983971&hash=item2893ccccff%3Ag%3AbTgAAOSwbNteuBaK&nma=true&si=o6vujWM5gR4FCdbgJRWXxKuad5A%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Even Cartmel's sold one!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-RAILWAYS-No-R-401-BR-Class-43-253-028-125-HST-HIGH-SPEED-TRAIN-PACK/303335731424?epid=10017671214&hash=item46a037f0e0:g:KZEAAMXQJRhRbisj

Edited by andyman7
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, corax67 said:

Hi guys - I’d like to clarify my position with regard to these sales.

We at St Michael & All Angels in Wilmington have been running a charity railway show over 20 years as part of our outreach and giving. The 4 charities we support are Demelza House children’s hospice, Cherished Memories, Railway Children & St Michael youth project.

During these 20 years we have raised over £200,000 for charity through the show proceeds and the sale of items donated by very generous supporters, retailers and manufacturers.

This year C-19 has led to the almost inevitable cancellation of our show, at a time when the charities are at their hardest pressed for funds.

A great friend and supporter of the show passed away late last year and bequeathed all his railway stock to us, we have also disassembled his extensive layout at the request of his estate for sale.

In order to still generate funds for the charities we took the decision to liquidate as much of the boxed stock via eBay as we can which is what I’ve started to do - I genuinely had no idea that things had gone quite so silly on there which is the sole reason I put up my recent post about the Bachmann underground entrance.

I’m not looking to profiteer, swindle or rip off anyone only to sell the things we’d usually simply sell through our secondhand stall.

Karl

There is a lesson there for post-covid fundraising: second-hand stalls are not an effective way of fundraising, not least because on-line selling reaches a much larger audience.

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1