EBay madness

Marcyg

7 minutes ago, petethemole said:

With a replacement wooden underframe from a suitable kit they make a passable L&Y van, but that's still a lot for 4 donor bodies.

I did a similar thing with an old Hornby Smiths Crisps van (it appeared in many liveries) to create an ex Hull & Barnsley Railway van. I think that was another car boot £1 special. On ebay they are fetching around £10 including an average £4 for steerage class post.

WP_20200424_23_42_13_Pro.jpg

• Like 3

22 hours ago, jivebunny said:

Good grief, I hope the fireman's in shape because that's a hell of a step up from the tender :D

Many years ago I worked with a man named Billy Cobb who had been a fireman at Hasland (Ex Midland Railway) shed. He was also a successful amateur boxer, billed as the fighting fireman. He was only about 5'6" but one of the strongest men I ever met, even at near retirement. The apprentices having heard of his former life would pester him for an arm wrestle. He was a modest man and rarely took up the challenge. But quite a few lads more than forty years his junior and a head taller did eventually wear him down and get a match. They only ever did it once.

• Like 3

I did a similar thing with an old Hornby Smiths Crisps van (it appeared in many liveries) to create an ex Hull & Barnsley Railway van. I think that was another car boot £1 special. On ebay they are fetching around £10 including an average £4 for steerage class post.

Scrub up nicely, those.

spacer.png

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Exactly. Broken or bad condition stuff on eBay to me just means kitbash material.

Me too. You just have to bid and hope that twenty seven other people who have more disposable income than you don't have the same inspiration! :D

Must get that NE van of mine painted!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Exactly. Broken or bad condition stuff on eBay to me just means kitbash material.

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Me too. You just have to bid and hope that twenty seven other people who have more disposable income than you don't have the same inspiration! :D

Must get that NE van of mine painted!

Well said chaps!:drink_mini:

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Same seller has the Hachette Build the Flying Scotsman complete issues for £425, just like the real thing, it will bankrupt you!

Yes there's quite a few listings on there that are "optimistic". Although having said that, a DJH A3 is over £600 so perhaps that one not so bad if it is complete?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Yes there's quite a few listings on there that are "optimistic". Although having said that, a DJH A3 is over £600 so perhaps that one not so bad if it is complete?

The neighbours haven't yet forgiven me for subscribing to "Build your own ACME V2 rocket in your back yard"...

• Funny 9

THE POWER CAR IS GREAT AND HAS WORKING LIGHTS. THE DUMMY HAS SEEN A BIT OF A RECONFIGURATION WITH THE SCREWS/BOGIES, TO THE POINT IT HAS FALLEN APART. ONE DOOR IS LOOSE/BROKEN OFF. THE LIGHTS DO NOT WORK AS THE WIRING HAS COME LOOSE. THIS IS A NICE PROJECT FOR SOMEBODY. AS MENTIONED YOU CAN RUN IT WITHOUT ISSUES, BUT THE DUMMY CAR JUST IS BY NO MEANS PERFECT. ACROSS BOTH CARS, THERE ARE NO BODY SCREWS AS THE THREADS HAVE BEEN BROKEN/LOST.

Screenshot_20200530_134532.jpg.1302c0d05964a9798e033a410638e511.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324182794846

£150.

:blink: What the hell did someone do to that?!

5 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Is that a wood screw holding the bogie on?

Some clumsy muppet has dropped it....

Looks suspiciously like a 5mm self tapper for chipboard. You can almost hear the plastic cracking as that was wound in!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

MFI, now there's a blast from the past!

(Or perhaps just an unnerving bowel rumble?)

Would that be classed as vintage, retro, classic or collectable?

All I know for certain is that it made lousy firewood...