Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

MFI -Making Furniture Impossible.

Mike.

23 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I always thought it was Made For Idiots.....:wacko:

21 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

My brother in law always said Made For Idiots.

I seem to recall that Andy Y was a (Store?) Manager at an MFI store in a former life......

If you notice a little red dot on your forehead, start worrying.

Personally, I never had a problem with MFI wardrobes - I still have two, and very nice they are.  Just careful assembly and securing to the wall is the trick.  Leave them free standing and they won't last five minutes.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, polybear said:

I seem to recall that Andy Y was a (Store?) Manager at an MFI store in a former life......

If you notice a little red dot on your forehead, start worrying.

Personally, I never had a problem with MFI wardrobes - I still have two, and very nice they are.  Just careful assembly and securing to the wall is the trick.  Leave them free standing and they won't last five minutes.

I had a big problem with an MFI wardrobe.....Back in the late 70’s I guess it was we went to MFI at Rayleigh and bought a flat pack wardrobe, the chap inside asked if I would like him to help load it into our car, yes great.....in through the rear hatch, and he pushed it in so hard and fast it broke the front windscreen.....so yes, they were made for idiots, and I was the idiot that let him help me! :D

• Funny 1

iI found that flat pack furniture works just fine IF you run PVA wood glue into every single joint face, especially the drawer bottoms (usually just a little undersized, the cheapskates) :crazy_mini:assembling. It also works for old wonky stuff if you have the patience to dismantle the things. Easiest way is to drop it on one corner ...

I broke the windscreen in a. Mini 850 once, just by tilting the passenger seat with a little too much gusto. That was embarrassing!

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

iI found that flat pack furniture works just fine IF you run PVA wood glue into every single joint face, especially the drawer bottoms (usually just a little undersized, the cheapskates) :crazy_mini:assembling. It also works for old wonky stuff if you have the patience to dismantle the things. Easiest way is to drop it on one corner ...

I broke the windscreen in a. Mini 850 once, just by tilting the passenger seat with a little too much gusto. That was embarrassing!

I have found the IKEA flat pack stuff to be brilliant, very well built even before I get my hands on it......

As to the Mini windscreen.......my Mini Windscreen was pushed out once by a girlfriend........let’s just say she didn’t actually realise she did it :wub:

• Funny 7

If you actually wanted a kit of this!!,  politely described a "Hybrid" on here by people who know the kit , its still available less prehestoric Romford wheels for £100.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MILLHOLME-MODELS-KIT-BUILT-HULL-BARNSLEY-RLY-LNER-BR-J28-CLASS-0-6-0-LOCO/293595560509?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Edited by micklner

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

I have found the IKEA flat pack stuff to be brilliant, very well built even before I get my hands on it......

As to the Mini windscreen.......my Mini Windscreen was pushed out once by a girlfriend........let’s just say she didn’t actually realise she did it :wub:

IKEA stuff, for all we mock it is on a different planet to the old melamine covered Weetabix we used to get.

Did your girlfriend perhaps push that windscreen out in the same way one of my girlfriends broke off the rear view mirror in my Triumph Spitfire? ;)

Edited by MrWolf
The Grammar Nazis are in town!

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

IKEA stuff, for all we mock it is on a different planet to the old melamine covered Weetabix we used to get.

Did your girlfriend perhaps push that windscreen out in the same way one of my girlfriends broke off the rear view mirror in my Triumph Spitfire? ;)

All I'm going to say is Morris Minor convertibles were obviously made of stronger stuff than minis and spitfires ;)

Although I did manage to get both doors to pop open after a particularly enthusiastic tackling of a hump back bridge :o

• Funny 3

18 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Although I did manage to get both doors to pop open after a particularly enthusiastic tackling of a hump back bridge :o

Is that another euphemism? :P

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

But what did he tell the Autoglaze fitter?

OK....let’s clear this up....the windscreen didn’t break (on this occasion) , good old toughened glass! So it was a case of just slipping it back in with some string and rubber grease........the windscreen....you dirty bar stewards, the windscreen! :o

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

A brilliant description of the old MFI stuff........as to the windscreen.......definitely plead the fifth.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Bucoops said:

All I'm going to say is Morris Minor convertibles were obviously made of stronger stuff than minis and spitfires ;)

Now that is a completely different sort of hump......

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, micklner said:

If you actually wanted a kit of this!!,  politely described a "Hybrid" on here by people who know the kit , its still available less prehestoric Romford wheels for £100.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MILLHOLME-MODELS-KIT-BUILT-HULL-BARNSLEY-RLY-LNER-BR-J28-CLASS-0-6-0-LOCO/293595560509?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Bloomin’ell......oddly I found a white metal kit of a “Little Ben” in the loft boxes yesterday, complete except for transfers and paint (quoting the box), it was bought over 50 years ago (probably) in a fit of teenage confidence and never opened in a fit of teenage regret :lol:

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Bloomin’ell......oddly I found a white metal kit of a “Little Ben” in the loft boxes yesterday, complete except for transfers and paint (quoting the box), it was bought over 50 years ago (probably) in a fit of teenage confidence and never opened in a fit of teenage regret :lol:

We look forward to seeing photos of your progress with the loco kit in the next week or two! I am sure you will have it running and painted by the end of next month.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

We look forward to seeing photos of your progress with the loco kit in the next week or two! I am sure you will have it running and painted by the end of next month.

:lol: I think the lock down has taken your senses.......this kit has screws I can hardly see in it.