EBay madness

Marcyg

1 hour ago, Prometheus said:

Not surprisingly, this has been up there for absolutely ages. And it's destined to remain there, too...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-GWR-00-Gauge-40-Passenger-Brake-to-Dia-K15-Kit-Built-rebuilt/254515720599?hash=item3b4251b197:g:D5kAAOSwWI1eSrpi

... but will make good sense to those who know the standards that I set and the quality of my work. As usual, this yet another ‘unique model’ that is unlikely to be repeated

Definitely makes good sense.  But inevitably,  someone will buy it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

No thanks - I've access to a soldering iron, wire and any number of 3 pole, 3.5mm plugs...  :jester:

Your prize for finding the star buy was not the eBay item itself. That would have been more of a punishment!

It looks like the sort of rubbish I usually find on allegedly restored motorcycles. Quite why people bodge together bits of random old wires on a motorcycle worth around £5000 when a complete new loom is around £40 is something that has mystified me for decades.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Prometheus said:

'...I make no apology for the high price being sought for this particular model. It will seem totally unacceptable to the ‘bargain hunters’, who try it on to get models for ‘next to nothing’, but will make good sense to those who know the standards that I set and the quality of my work. As usual, this yet another ‘unique model’ that is unlikely to be repeated...'.

Did the prototype have a large gap between the body side the roof then? :)

• Funny 6

2 hours ago, MartynJPearson said:

Did the prototype have a large gap between the body side the roof then? :)

Damn, the one I have doesn't have a gap, it must have been built wrong! Maybe that's why it was only £20?

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Yes, but it’s that rare and elusive Class 32 that only exists for a few seconds whilst you scroll down the page where upon it reverts to a Class 31.

Darius

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

It's the long since forgotten about Lima N scale Class 31.  For some reason these oddities have started to sell for increasing silly money (i.e. anything over a tenner in my opinion!) but this one is just eye watering!!

• Agree 1

I have learned through dealing in things as diverse as antique furniture and vintage motorcycles that just because something is old or rare, doesn't automatically mean that it is worth anything.

• Agree 5

19 hours ago, John M Upton said:

He really is having a laugh!

One thing about the lockdown is that people have had the time to check what's at the back of the cupboard.

This is one that should have been left there!!:D

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Not a 'mad' item but odd feedback.  I have been selling my breweriana collection, including old beer mats.  I recently had a successful bid on some 1960s Strong & Co mats.  When I went to get them they weren't in their box, which triggered  a vague memory of having sold them months ago.  I messaged the buyer and refunded their payment, receiving the reply 'No problem'.  I have now had feedback, 'received quickly as described great ebayer'.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, petethemole said:

Not a 'mad' item but odd feedback.  I have been selling my breweriana collection, including old beer mats.  I recently had a successful bid on some 1960s Strong & Co mats.  When I went to get them they weren't in their box, which triggered  a vague memory of having sold them months ago.  I messaged the buyer and refunded their payment, receiving the reply 'No problem'.  I have now had feedback, 'received quickly as described great ebayer'.

I think it’s a function of the eBay feedback system.  Feedback is still required even if the transaction never occurred and was amicably refunded as yours was.  The seller probably left a standard good feedback statement as presumably there were no hard feelings - which is a nice thing to do.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Premium

Several offences here, way overpriced, listed under the wrong scale and only illustrated with the catalogue image.  One to avoid:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BR-MK2S-FK-CORR-1ST-MAROON/303595875998?hash=item46afb96e9e:g:ZLwAAOSwHmhe5fJy

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Several offences here, way overpriced, listed under the wrong scale and only illustrated with the catalogue image.  One to avoid:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BR-MK2S-FK-CORR-1ST-MAROON/303595875998?hash=item46afb96e9e:g:ZLwAAOSwHmhe5fJy

Got negative feedback on an international level this one! Seller of tat by the looks of it.

• RMweb Premium

Silly money indeed, how do you justify charging the price of a locomotive for a coach? Let alone justify spending the price of a locomotive for a coach. I know that despite being quite obsessive about my model railway, I can think of a lot of other things I would rather spend that kind of money on.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1