EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 45568 said:

"Rocket' mania../optimism?? hits Oz!

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hornby-OO-R3809-STEAM-LOCO-STEVENSONS-ROCKET-HRR3809/303604618173?hash=item46b03ed3bd:g:1EAAAOSwOeFe8x7f

Divide by 1.8 for the GBP price!

Cheers frpm Oz,

Peter C.

Yes, but it's only a dollar postage, that must make it a bargain?

Mike.

Just now, Enterprisingwestern said:

Yes, but it's only a dollar postage, that must make it a bargain?

Mike.

Absof**king-lutely! It is bampot stuff, but as  I previously noted on this thread, there are some real nutters on Ozebay ( Forestml anybody), our equivalent of micmin and gostude, without the bargains!

As an aside, the aforesaid Forestml, which operates from one of Sydney's swankier suburbs, actually had R3809 at $A670, I think I know who purchased it!

Cheers to all from Fortress WestOz,

Peter C.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, 45568 said:

Absof**king-lutely! It is bampot stuff, but as  I previously noted on this thread, there are some real nutters on Ozebay ( Forestml anybody), our equivalent of micmin and gostude, without the bargains!

As an aside, the aforesaid Forestml, which operates from one of Sydney's swankier suburbs, actually had R3809 at $A670, I think I know who purchased it!

Cheers to all from Fortress WestOz,

Peter C.

Say gday to Margaret River from me. It's been a while.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 20/06/2020 at 10:00, Hroth said:

Hand in last photo would tend to suggest "O" Gauge.

According to the Golden Age Models website, this was produced about 8 years ago for £2,940 inc VAT

http://www.goldenagemodels.net/sr-locomotives-merchant-navy-class-o-gauge.html

Given that, the asking price (adding in the postage, why do they bother at this level?), is a couple of hundred more than the purchase price which for a mint example is, I suppose, not too bad.  I wonder how much a similar model at todays prices would be?

Its listed under O gauge locomotives.

Masterpiece and Lee Marsh equivalents are around £3,400 now and old second hand ones are frequently listed at those levels as well.

It shouldn't be listed as new though. Pre-owned is used, regardless of how little anyone has actually done with something.

If I was trying to sell something of that quality, I'd have thought taking better photos would help as well.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 23/06/2020 at 19:15, rab said:

Someone like me who finds them useful when setting out a number of parallel tracks.

Though I would find the OO version a lot more practical for my layout ;)

Edited by Colin_McLeod
  • Like 1

Guest Half-full
19 hours ago, MrWolf said:

We have a new contender for the overpriced junk trophy!

Talking of overpriced junk...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R3140-PACER-TWIN-RAILBUS-CLASS-142-DMU-142026-NORTHERN-RAIL-DCC-Ready/324199187505?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Actually, I like the Hornby Pacer, I've got 4 complete sets and enough bits for probably another 5 or 6.

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Half-full said:

Talking of overpriced junk...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R3140-PACER-TWIN-RAILBUS-CLASS-142-DMU-142026-NORTHERN-RAIL-DCC-Ready/324199187505?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Actually, I like the Hornby Pacer, I've got 4 complete sets and enough bits for probably another 5 or 6.

Started at 70 notes.

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, crompton 33 said:

Just seen these buse's With free postage . This one as rose coloured glasses. :o At that price  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dublin-Bus-Britbus-R703-Volvo-Olympian-Alexander-ALX400-1-76/184338879296?hash=item2aeb741340:g:BmwAAOSw8lte2T1j

Thats not unusual. There are some model buses that are over £1,000 apiece. Usually special limited editions.

• RMweb Premium

But since the great collapse of the diecast bus collectors market, a lot of bus models especially EFE and Corgi ones you can barely shift them for the cost of the postage.

A lot of 'collectors' got severly burnt!!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

23 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

But since the great collapse of the diecast bus collectors market, a lot of bus models especially EFE and Corgi ones you can barely shift them for the cost of the postage.

A lot of 'collectors' got severly burnt!!

I've noticed that modern buses hold their value very well. It is the zillions of 'nostalgic' models of vintage buses that can barely be given away. My son isn't interested in the oodles of models at a fiver. It's the £50 Enviro 400 he wants....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The best way to deter anyone from becoming a bus fanatic is to get them a job fixing the hateful things. If people knew what a state that the suspension and brakes got into back in the early 90s at certain companies they would never ride on one again.

We used to pity the cleaners though, daily their job was dirty, sometimes dangerous and often downright revolting. They used to call buses "Scumshovels". Reg Varney lied to us!

Rose tinted or lysergic glasses firmly in the bin.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Wowza

Darius

That's an impressive sum, no idea of the "value" of these models, but clearly several bidders thought it worth scrapping over. Very nice looking model too, even though I am a steam locomotive fan. I do like the the extensive and honest description, that I believe has helped to get such a price. Good for him says I.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2