EBay madness

Marcyg

10 hours ago, Andy WD said:

I'm not sure if I should make an offer or not? Slightly worried about what I might receive :rolleyes: I mean how much would a nudist model go for.......

Dunno, but Noch do lots of model nudists, and other nekkid people geting up to all sorts of ...  things ... too!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/07/2020 at 18:36, rab said:

So they're Hammant and Morgan, but home made,

and they're not sure who the maker is?????

Could be H&M resistance controllers in a home made box. You could buy them separately to mount in your own control panel.

Looks a bit like the one I made about 40 years ago, I did put the H&M scales on the outside though!:)

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Dunno, but Noch do lots of model nudists, and other nekkid people geting up to all sorts of ...  things ... too!

You can get a bonkin couple;)

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Andy WD said:

I'm not sure if I should make an offer or not? Slightly worried about what I might receive :rolleyes: I mean how much would a nudist model go for.......

Screenshot_20200703-193434_Samsung Internet.jpg

Just need a set of these to go in it......https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noch-15844-Nudists-Landscape-Modelling/dp/B000JJ4BDO/ref=pd_lpo_21_t_1/262-6543301-4351827?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000JJ4BDO&pd_rd_r=42be7eaf-9c08-42af-9e23-10b7b9dee78d&pd_rd_w=JCt7B&pd_rd_wg=6UbZ3&pf_rd_p=7b8e3b03-1439-4489-abd4-4a138cf4eca6&pf_rd_r=VP1420EWDGNCXS7ZEWSE&psc=1&refRID=VP1420EWDGNCXS7ZEWSE

Edited by boxbrownie

I came across this while looking for clockwork motive power. Clearly I'm deeply ignorant of the value enhancing process of stamping on a fairly mundane model and then burying it in a swamp for a decade or two. 

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PatB said:

I came across this while looking for clockwork motive power. Clearly I'm deeply ignorant of the value enhancing process of stamping on a fairly mundane model and then burying it in a swamp for a decade or two. 

"Used and good condition"

Did the seller used to sell dodgy second hand clocked motors out of a railway arch in the east end of London circ 1977?

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

"Used and good condition"

You don’t understand - it’s “professionally weathered”.

(L@@k! Rare vintage!!)

Richard

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PatB said:

Ah - "1920's Antique Old Rare Original Cast Iron Wind Up Train Locomotive with Key Toy" - clearly one would be buying the secret of turning tinplate into cast iron!

I'm amused by the way that the function of the key hole has been overlooked.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 3

Isn't it the Hornby No1 clockwork tank that they made well into the 1950s?

I think they meant to say Antique Old Rare Original Knackered.

Knackered being the key descriptive word that they overlooked.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 2

4 hours ago, DIW said:

Ah - "1920's Antique Old Rare Original Cast Iron Wind Up Train Locomotive with Key Toy" - clearly one would be buying the secret of turning tinplate into cast iron!

I'm amused by the way that the function of the key hole has been overlooked.

Looking more closely at the listing I can’t help noticing the loco is in India, so I wonder if its rarity makes it more valuable there? Not suggesting that the price is at all reasonable, just that it may not be quite as unreasonable as it is here (although is there really much of a market in India for this stuff?). Edit: also noticed they’re an art/antiques dealer so maybe not great at pricing model railway stuff. On the subject of not knowing what the key hole is for, they seem to also not realise this is a horse bit (on a bridle, to go in the horse’s mouth): https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Old-Iron-Rare-Antique-Hanging-Ring-with-Hooks-Collectible/254317956891?hash=item3b36880f1b:g:syYAAOSwAopcHJpy

I can’t work out if it’s been burnt or spent 20 years underwater.

Edited by 009 micro modeller
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Looking more closely at the listing I can’t help noticing the loco is in India, so I wonder if its rarity makes it more valuable there? Not suggesting that the price is at all reasonable, just that it may not be quite as unreasonable as it is here (although is there really much of a market in India for this stuff?). Edit: also noticed they’re an art/antiques dealer so maybe not great at pricing model railway stuff. On the subject of not knowing what the key hole is for, they seem to also not realise this is a horse bit (on a bridle, to go in the horse’s mouth): https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Old-Iron-Rare-Antique-Hanging-Ring-with-Hooks-Collectible/254317956891?hash=item3b36880f1b:g:syYAAOSwAopcHJpy

I can’t work out if it’s been burnt or spent 20 years underwater.

You would get about £15 for that on a good day. There was something of a market in horse tack for pub interiors, but that has pretty much gone now.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

You would get about £15 for that on a good day. There was something of a market in horse tack for pub interiors, but that has pretty much gone now.

Yes, the burnt or underwater comment was about the loco, it makes less sense after I’ve edited the post. I was speculating on whether there was a market for old tinplate trains in India - were they even sold there originally?

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, PatB said:

He forgot to include 'heavily weathered ' in the description.

• Funny 5

56 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Yes, the burnt or underwater comment was about the loco, it makes less sense after I’ve edited the post. I was speculating on whether there was a market for old tinplate trains in India - were they even sold there originally?

I don't know for certain, although as part of the British Empire and afterwards, we sent them pretty much everything else. British made motorcycles have a big following in India thanks to past exports.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I don't know for certain, although as part of the British Empire and afterwards, we sent them pretty much everything else. British made motorcycles have a big following in India thanks to past exports.

That’s what I thought, I just couldn’t find anything referring to it. Whereas there do seem to be websites for Dublo enthusiasts in South Africa and Australia (for example) iirc. There’s a vague possibility it will have ended up there having been brought in as an ‘antique.’

Edited by 009 micro modeller
  • Like 1

The automatic coupling on the back means that it is 1930s at the earliest!...

It's the LMS lined version...there are remnants of the livery and lettering...

Isn't this the "bigger boiler" version, based on the "Special" tank loco boiler diameter?

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Both BSA and Royal Enfield are made in India, and they are Indian companies.

• Agree 1

Whilst searching, I noticed a number of low-end British tinplate sets (Wells Brimtoy and Mettoy type stuff), admittedly in much better condition, listed by an Indian seller at very optimistic prices. I didn't check to see if it was the same seller, but, given that it's not a common location for Ebay collectables, it seems likely. 

As the British in India tended to be the upper middle class, and therefore affluent enough to afford toy trains for their children, it wouldn't surprise me if quite a bit of tinplate ended up there, even if only in families' personal effects. 

Edited by PatB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 88D said:

Both BSA and Royal Enfield are made in India, and they are Indian companies.

We were talking about items historically made in Britain and sold in India that are valued over there. BSA (Small Heath) Royal Enfield (Redditch).

Enfield (India) bought the rights and tooling for the old Bullet single cylinder bikes. In the early days many of the components were cheapened and quite crude. They have undergone a huge revamp as Royal Enfield and have really turned around the business. The BSA (motorcycles) division name has gone to India, but nothing worthy of the marque name has been produced to date. It could be worse, many of the old marque names are being used by China on disposable mopeds made in small batches with zero spares backup, much like bicycles are. We had a new quad bike brought in the other week, designed for children. It had been assembled in such a way that the rear sprocket was 20mm out of line and kept throwing the chain off. More disturbing was the brake disc, 5mm out of line and bending as it passed through the caliper. One of the rear hubs was missing the woodruff key that kept it on the axle. People who buy that cheap garbage deserve to get ripped off. There is nothing that one man can make, that another man cannot make a little cheaper and a little less well and sell to the fool who believes that he knows a bargain.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, PatB said:

Whilst searching, I noticed a number of low-end British tinplate sets (Wells Brimtoy and Mettoy type stuff), admittedly in much better condition, listed by an Indian seller at very optimistic prices. I didn't check to see if it was the same seller, but, given that it's not a common location for Ebay collectables, it seems likely. 

As the British in India tended to be the upper middle class, and therefore affluent enough to afford toy trains for their children, it wouldn't surprise me if quite a bit of tinplate ended up there, even if only in families' personal effects. 

I’m not sure it is the same seller - the seller of the original loco seems to mostly list genuine Indian antiques such as this, but often not described in much detail. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not quite total madness but this is still available from Brian for £38:50 + p&p (and not for the £5:50, this seller was charging, I suspect).

Screenshot_20200705-164752.png

Edited by Tim Dubya
Picture added.
  • Like 3