EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Just make sure that you give lots of asbestos crayons to the idiots.

Gets rid of the poisonous crayons

Gets rid of the idiots.

Win win situation.

I can think of someone, who would be better off with crayons, than a Twitter account!

• Funny 4

14 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

I can think of someone, who would be better off with crayons, than a Twitter account!

Crayons need a certain amount of intelligence to use (as opposed to eat) are you sure they're up to it?

Is Twitter still fashionable with self promoting narcissists, or have the opinion influencers got them drooling over a newer, shinier object?

• Funny 1

17 hours ago, Andy WD said:

I find this section very interesting as seeing items I would not obviously search for.

How many readers actually ''make an offer'' ?

The sad thing is you actually may be accepted !

I like to watch this item usually as this may help the seller gain confidence on his selling skills

Or are some of there great items  from members on here anonymously posted.

He wins on the Postage rates anyway, & above could actually be accidentally repaired in the delivery process.

the famous shake the box assembly kits.

Nice anyway.

Peter

keep up the good work.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, jcredfer said:

Perhaps that is a broader claim than the evidence reveals.  It seems that there may have been a very limited number of chinese products identified in the USA, but not in most.  Those products should not have been available on any market and would have been easy to nominate, rather than a general comment about "Crayons for children's use".

Just "another" observation.

Julian

Totally agree but wasn't just referring to recent "scandals". Historically it was used in a lot of things. 

Ever seen The Wizard of Oz? The snow scenes? Pure Asbestos thrown all over the place.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Totally agree but wasn't just referring to recent "scandals". Historically it was used in a lot of things. 

Ever seen The Wizard of Oz? The snow scenes? Pure Asbestos thrown all over the place.

Yes indeed, the stuff appeared all over the place, post WWII, as a cheap build and insulating materiel.  I'm not old enough to know how much was used pre-war, but it didn't seem to be particularly prominent in any of the 30s military establishments I saw later, when a cheap materiel would have been useful.

I've seen it but didn't know about that snow effect - Wow!!

Julian

3 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Weren’t some similarly horrendous chemicals used in the make-up for Wizard of Oz characters in the film?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Into the 1990s we were still importing asbestos in the 10000 tons per annum range.

The first thoughts that asbestos may be dangerous was at some point in the 1800s.

Yes I think I read somewhere that the silver paint used for tin man was highly toxic.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Into the 1990s we were still importing asbestos in the 10000 tons per annum range.

The first thoughts that asbestos may be dangerous was at some point in the 1800s.

Yes I think I read somewhere that the silver paint used for tin man was highly toxic.

I was just thinking that myself ?

It was the tin man.

His face was painted with white face paint coated with aluminium dust.

He ended up in hospital.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, amdaley said:

I was just thinking that myself ?

It was the tin man.

His face was painted with white face paint coated with aluminium dust.

He ended up in hospital.

It wasn't technically toxic, the original actor for the Tin Man (the legendary Buddy Ebsen) had a severe allergic reaction to the aluminium facepaint and was replaced with Jack Haley, who portrayed the character in the movie; the makeup team also turned the powder paint into a paste to prevent Haley from aspirating it like Ebsen did. However, the reaction left Ebsen with lifelong breathing issues. (His version of If I Only Had a Heart, however, thankfully still survives and I think is better than Haley's version - plus for all the issues he had with the makeup it looked much, much closer to the books' Tin Woodsman). I knew about the asbestos as well. 

God, film history is interesting to me. Did you also know that Ebsen originally auditioned to be the Scarecrow? He swapped roles with Ray Bolger, who played the Scarecrow in the movie, because Bolger wasn't a fan of the Tin Man's dialogue during rehearsal script readings. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

34 minutes ago, irishmail said:

Anyone want a  Bachmann underground train?   Only £5,100.00   21 bids with three days still to go.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-gauge-Bachmann-London-Underground-S-stock-4-car-train-pack-LTM-35-990/124259720189?hash=item1cee74dbfd:g:-IoAAOSw2SNfDYPo

The £3.70 postage on that is just adding insult to injury. I know it’s not the seller’s fault it’s gone up to that price but still...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, rab said:

I thought so, too.  I am clearly missing something, as the link is showing one, too.

Julian

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

I thought so, too.  I am clearly missing something, as the link is showing one, too.

Julian

It was showing an 0-6-0T loco about an hour ago. Picture has been changed.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

It was showing an 0-6-0T loco about an hour ago. Picture has been changed.

Thank you - that's rather a relief.  Perhaps the seller is also a reader here.....    :mellowclear:

Julian

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, irishmail said:

Anyone want a  Bachmann underground train?   Only £5,100.00   21 bids with three days still to go.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-gauge-Bachmann-London-Underground-S-stock-4-car-train-pack-LTM-35-990/124259720189?hash=item1cee74dbfd:g:-IoAAOSw2SNfDYPo

Isn't that about the price of a real, full sized one.........:blink:?

• Funny 4