EBay madness

Marcyg

8 minutes ago, andytrains said:

A Kitbuilt item is a subject built from a Kit.

Not an RTR item with a few detailing parts on! A RTR item is not Kitbuilt, whatever you say.

Words Modified, Detailed, Super-detailed or Altered, would be a lot more honest.

I don't disagree with you one bit. I just know why he does it. Laziness, for a start. He might think that describing items as kit built gets more hits, which it will. (I often just search kit built GWR) but in the long run it makes him look at best a chump who doesn't know what he is talking about, at worst, a full on bulls###ter.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, andytrains said:

But they are all 'Kit built', he needs to describe stuff honestly.

But as per the earlier post, it's a successful business model. Otherwise the results would be different.

Obviously eBay don't care, as long as they collect their fees.

• Agree 3

On 28/07/2020 at 09:59, 009 micro modeller said:

Yes - I kind of think he won’t do it as it undermines his scheme of splitting them apart and selling for more. Of course there’s nothing illegal about ‘breaking for parts’ and for older (knackered) locos separating them into spare parts probably makes them worth more (and more useful) but from what you say it sounds as though he’s just taking locos apart but then selling all the bits of the loco to the same person in a more convoluted way.

Found another eBay "breaker" - mr_mike121 - whilst searching for a Bachmann 2-EPB. From this single seller, I can purchase all the parts to make up a working chassis (including seats in the motorised carriage) for the total sum of £259.90 ... that does not include the P&P costs! Furthermore, it is not complete because despite looking through all of his 1879 listings he does not have the body shells for sale, nor a box to keep the reassembled chassis in! Given that virtually every one of his listings is a dissembled model (from old Triang through to up to date Bachmann) and even listings for their empty boxes, I guess he is an eBay equivalent of the Barry breakers yard!

Incidentally, listing results by most expensive first, I found I could get the same model brand new and complete including warranty on BIN for £219.95 + £13.60 p&p ... that's a £26.35 saving over mr_mike121's offering, even without taking into account his P&P costs, sourcing/buying new body shells or even possibly locating any missing assembly screws etc!

I may ask him how much to put together the full chassis and combine postage, just for a laugh...

Steve S

[Researched at 4am after giving the dog his medication, because I couldn't sleep!]

PS

Looking at the previous post, I do hope mr_mike121 isn't our own Enterprisingwestern:mosking:

Edited by SteveyDee68
Tongue in cheek PS added!
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

But as per the earlier post, it's a successful business model. Otherwise the results would be different.

Obviously eBay don't care, as long as they collect their fees.

Which makes you wonder why they bothered to include keyword spamming in their reasons to report items - "

The listing has unrelated or excessive keywords that unfairly diverts attention to the listing."

They certainly don't seem to care when you report them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I guess he is an eBay equivalent of the Barry breakers yard!

No, I’m the eBay equivalent of Barry scrapyard. Buying up loads of old tat, ending up cutting the wagons in half and not doing anything with the rest of it. :jester:

Edited by 009 micro modeller
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

Which makes you wonder why they bothered to include keyword spamming in their reasons to report items - "

The listing has unrelated or excessive keywords that unfairly diverts attention to the listing."

They certainly don't seem to care when you report them.

Why would they question a seller with good feedback? There is also the issue of what knowledge would the eBay people, have to determine whether a 'kit built' item is or is not. None would be that answer.

Just don't buy from someone that you don't agree with, is the best solution.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Why would they question a seller with good feedback? There is also the issue of what knowledge would the eBay people, have to determine whether a 'kit built' item is or is not. None would be that answer.

Just don't buy from someone that you don't agree with, is the best solution.

Some report options have a field for why you have reported it - if they put one for this then perhaps they may understand. I find it very frustrating when sellers keyword spam as I have to scroll past items that bear no relevance to what I am looking for. If they call it kit built but it is not then it is being misrepresented.

4 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Some report options have a field for why you have reported it - if they put one for this then perhaps they may understand. I find it very frustrating when sellers keyword spam as I have to scroll past items that bear no relevance to what I am looking for. If they call it kit built but it is not then it is being misrepresented.

It's not just model railway items that attract keyword spam. I CAN understand it if the seller has something that they are not sure of it's origin. A common one I find is something like; Mudguard stays, possibly Ariel, BSA, Norton? A keen eye can get a bargain and the seller gets money for what would otherwise be scrapped. 

But tonight, I have been searching for some bits for a bike my brother in law has acquired. 

I typed in BSA front hub. I must have had a dozen hits that were modern vintage style Royal Enfield hubs listed as Vintage style Royal Enfield BSA Norton hub, new. 

Anyone who is new to the hobby might part with over £100 for something that potentially isn't any use. 

The vintage bicycle parts on eBay are even worse and both suffer from the break it up and maximize your profits syndrome. A typical example is a chrome nut with a red insert and the Raleigh R on it for £15. That sort of thing is a result of the Raleigh Chopper fad. I never understood it. We had the unrideable POS as secondhand castoffs in the late 70s, bleh. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

You should read his feedback, they must have a large, munificent and kind family!

Mike.

I somehow have to agree with RR on this neutral feedback:

Overpriced on product and postage.

OO Gauge Hornby Pullman Coach Anne (#114292595252)

Buyer: xxxxx (219)

Reply by rocketrailways. Left within past month.

Strange that you decided to buy it then when its clearly advertised!

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Whilst agreeing with the thrust of their reply, they obviously have a lack of the concept of customer relations, the reply could have been worded in a little less confrontational terms.

Mike.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Whilst agreeing with the thrust of their reply, they obviously have a lack of the concept of customer relations, the reply could have been worded in a little less confrontational terms.

Mike.

To be fair to RR they are up front with the crappiness  of their offerings in terms of the photos and their prices are clearly obscene to the casual observer with a modicum of intelligence.

However, as P T Barnum is alleged to have said...

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 2

Stumbled across another seller - ray53-19 - using the term “kit built” rather more enthusiastically than realistically ... he has half a dozen Triang “Nellies” available, plus some other RTR 0-4-0s with obviously added “tenders”, all listed as “kit built” because they have been repainted! Admittedly not silly prices but it irritates me that so many items are intentionally mislabelled!

Steve S

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Indeed, the carriage was £14 and postage £3.90 - don't know where the buyer thought postage could be had for less these days on something that doesn't go into a letter.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Metr0Land said:

Indeed, the carriage was £14 and postage £3.90 - don't know where the buyer thought postage could be had for less these days on something that doesn't go into a letter.

Agreed, £3.90 is the average price that I have paid for post and packing.

• Like 1

EMU cab front £10.00  with 6 day's to go.  One bid so far .  You can get them from Replica for £ 2.10 each. Don't these people look.   Bottom of this page http://www.replicarailways.co.uk/spares-and-accessories/spares     https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EMU-OO-Gauge-Cab-Ends-Carriage/224102244574?hash=item342d88e0de:g:WtIAAOSwEtlfJaFY