EBay madness

Marcyg

48 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

It was the price that astounded me.

The price didn't surprise me that much. Say roughly £10 for the original model Inc post. £10 for the extra parts Inc post. You're going to want a minimum of £10 per hour for the labour to do the conversion, then £4 to post it out. Then you need your mark up for profit. It stacks up very quickly.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
On 24/09/2020 at 17:40, leopardml2341 said:

If you repeatedly tap quickly on the second and third photos you can see how the lights work.  
Can you tell that I’m not getting out a lot at the moment?

• Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 24/09/2020 at 17:40, leopardml2341 said:

Yes, that's about what Kytes Lights sell them for

https://www.kyteslights.com/index.php?cPath=38&osCsid=s1lreqcmpkfqubspr6hut0rbbh

The big part of the cost will be the time involved in doing the conversion.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, rab said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EFE-N-Gauge-Class-17-Clayton-BR-Blue/233724447775?hash=item366b100c1f:g:nDwAAOSwTyxfbPTq

Not sure if this qualifies as madness,

but seems a bit strange to be selling

what must have been a brand new model

after only one hour's running

ive been guilty of buying the wrong thing, or being disappointed with a purchase or just plain carried away and bought too many before now.. if an ebay £1 sale happened at the same time i’ll pass it on pdq to recover what ive paid.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 25/09/2020 at 09:46, rab said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EFE-N-Gauge-Class-17-Clayton-BR-Blue/233724447775?hash=item366b100c1f:g:nDwAAOSwTyxfbPTq

Not sure if this qualifies as madness,

but seems a bit strange to be selling

what must have been a brand new model

after only one hour's running

At least it is correctly listed as used.

99% of ebay sellers would call that brand new.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

At least it is correctly listed as used.

99% of ebay sellers would call that brand new.

But not 99% of buyers !!!!

Anything I sell. if unused or still in a sealed packet I describe it as s/h, I am not a retailer and if I buy something new and sell it its second hand, even though it may be unused

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

On 25/09/2020 at 09:38, leopardml2341 said:

It was the price that astounded me.

I've converted a variety of road vehicles and reckon on about an hour minimum per light/pair of lights, once you've drilled, mounted, wired, chosen the right brightness, and fixed any light bleed. That's why I don't sell them commercially, nobody could afford them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 19/09/2020 at 10:38, Bucoops said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again - 

Ebay auctions should be looked at as 7 days of viewing (or however long it's listed for) and a few seconds of getting your bid in right at the end.

If you put bids in early you are "showing your hand" and potentially costing yourself money. I never bid before the last 10 seconds. It's not underhand, it's just how ebay works.

I really don't care whether or not somebody outbids me. I stick in an offer as to how much  I'm prepared to pay for it including p&p. If somebody is prepared to pay more than me, then fair enough. It's not life or death is it?

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

I see our friend Gostude is at it again, this time with a secondhand Silver Fox Bulleid 1-Co-Co-1 diesel running on a Mainline chassis for sale at £20 more than a brand new, guaranteed, high-spec Kernow special edition RTR that simply makes his auction item look like a "Railroad" model!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, 96701 said:

I really don't care whether or not somebody outbids me. I stick in an offer as to how much  I'm prepared to pay for it including p&p. If somebody is prepared to pay more than me, then fair enough. It's not life or death is it?

what like this :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-limited-edition-class-47-406-Rail-Riders-InterCity-31-650P/174456044462?hash=item289e63fbae:g:~VsAAOSwiKpfcbtf

looks like a bit of shill bidding going on there!

2 minutes ago, pheaton said:

Crikey - bids going in seconds apart from the same bidder?! How does that even work?!

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Crikey - bids going in seconds apart from the same bidder?! How does that even work?!

if you turn on automatic bids, you can see that some bids are going in at 1 second apart....its likely the eBay auto bidder or an external auto bidder......but ive never seen that many bids that early in an model auction....its completely pointless....

my guess is....it was listed at 99p by mistake...by the time seller realised someone had bid....and the price couldn't be revised....

52 minutes ago, pheaton said:

if you turn on automatic bids, you can see that some bids are going in at 1 second apart....its likely the eBay auto bidder or an external auto bidder......but ive never seen that many bids that early in an model auction....its completely pointless....

my guess is....it was listed at 99p by mistake...by the time seller realised someone had bid....and the price couldn't be revised....

On the contrary, confident sellers of desireable items know that the 99p start price is the way to auction an item. It is a well known psychological technique that draws bidders in, just like real life auctions with no reserve and a low start.

I have lost count of the times I have won an item as the only bidder because the nervous seller starts it at what they actually want to sell it for, when an identical item started at 99p reaches a higher finishing price.

• Agree 9

• RMweb Premium

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Model-Railway-Small-Joblot-Of-5-Pkts-of-Fuse-Wire-In-N-Or-Ho-Gauge-By/124364542377?hash=item1cf4b451a9:g:qUoAAOSw0GlfdwBZ&redirect=mobile

I can understand these perhaps being a collectors item,

by virtue of the name on the packs, but I'm struggling

to find the specific link to N and OO gauge???

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, rab said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Model-Railway-Small-Joblot-Of-5-Pkts-of-Fuse-Wire-In-N-Or-Ho-Gauge-By/124364542377?hash=item1cf4b451a9:g:qUoAAOSw0GlfdwBZ&redirect=mobile

I can understand these perhaps being a collectors item,

by virtue of the name on the packs, but I'm struggling

to find the specific link to N and OO gauge???

Obvious innit?

Different sized wire for varying buffer beam pipework!

Mike.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rab said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/N-Gauge-Graham-Farish-371-629-GWR-Railcar-20-and-21-in-GWR-chocolate-cream-wit/114439485576?redirect=mobile

Have Rocket Railways bern reading the comments on RMWeb

about their pricing, or am I missing something on this one.

A quick trawl through his now considerable listing shows fairly realistic prices (at least compared with what we've seen before).  Some individual wagons a bit optimistic as are the 2 Hornby Dublo 'Deltics'.

• Like 1