EBay madness

Marcyg

Not an item as such, more a curiosity of ebay itself.

A search for "class 47 sound" yields a number of results, one of which is for 47050 in Railfreight livery at £250. Ebay have marked it as "great price" and if you hover over it, it says "Great price compared to similar brand new items".

Sadly, two items down is the same loco 25 quid cheaper!

Maybe they need an "even greater price" logo.

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

I have seen the so called 'Great Price' labels and much like their automatically plucked out of thin air average so called trending prices, its completely nonsensical tosh. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 16/12/2020 at 20:05, cessna152towser said:

At £6,200 as of 8pm today, with 7 bids cancelled and another 7 bids retracted.

Now down to £770 . Got to feel for the seller at the muppets who got it up to stupid levels. Odd too how some of the bidders and retracted were new or newish ebayers 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

Now down to £770 . Got to feel for the seller at the muppets who got it up to stupid levels. Odd too how some of the bidders and retracted were new or newish ebayers 

Assuming this is the IOW monolith: looking at the bidding history suggests that there are people bidding on eBay who are taking the 'P'? Would this put the credibility of eBay as a selling platform at risk?

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

Have messaged a certain infamous eBay seller (coughtrude) about him listing something by Lima as "kit built"...

I know it is a way of getting more hits during a search, but I thought it would be interesting to politely point out that all Lima produced items were RTR and how some eBay buyers would kick up a fuss over "incorrect listing descriptions" in order to demand refunds, and see what response I might get.

I have a side hobby called "politely informing sellers of mistakes in their listings", as the majority I come across are genuine errors (the number of online shops repeating the same info for a different item is staggering!) rather than dodgy listings. I normally get a polite response, which is another way to surrepticiously check out the trustworthiness of a seller!

No response equals a Del Boy trader, IMHO!

HOURS OF BROWSING!!

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Assuming this is the IOW monolith: looking at the bidding history suggests that there are people bidding on eBay who are taking the 'P'? Would this put the credibility of eBay as a selling platform at risk?

I would have my doubts about anything such as this being the property of the vendor.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I would have my doubts about anything such as this being the property of the vendor.

I remember someone pointing that out years back when railwayana started to be sold like stocks and shares. It was made for or by the railways, certainly paid for by them. It then becomes nationalised, property of the state. I've never seen anything for sale which includes an official record of release to the current possessor from the owners.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I remember someone pointing that out years back when railwayana started to be sold like stocks and shares. It was made for or by the railways, certainly paid for by them. It then becomes nationalised, property of the state. I've never seen anything for sale which includes an official record of release to the current possessor from the owners.

Just think how much railwayana was, to all intents and purposes, 'found' and taken home?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Just think how much railwayana was, to all intents and purposes, 'found' and taken home?

When we were kids in the early 80s we preferred to call it 'liberated'. 

The subject came up whilst cleaning an enamel sign which stated quite clearly "This sign remains the property of the Anglo American Oil Co." 

I collected all sorts of old junk 30 years ago, when people thought that you were a bit mad and before greedy "investors" ruined dozens of hobbies for those who started it all.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

48 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The subject came up whilst cleaning an enamel sign which stated quite clearly "This sign remains the property of the Anglo American Oil Co." 

I collected all sorts of old junk 30 years ago, when people thought that you were a bit mad and before greedy "investors" ruined dozens of hobbies for those who started it all.

You and me both! I still have some of mine from all those years ago! ;)

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I had to get my trophies into the house, past Mum! Strange how mothers just don't see the value in a muddy, rusty lump of iron!? "And where do you think you're taking that!?"

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Have messaged a certain infamous eBay seller (coughtrude) about him listing something by Lima as "kit built"...

I know it is a way of getting more hits during a search, but I thought it would be interesting to politely point out that all Lima produced items were RTR and how some eBay buyers would kick up a fuss over "incorrect listing descriptions" in order to demand refunds, and see what response I might get.

I have a side hobby called "politely informing sellers of mistakes in their listings", as the majority I come across are genuine errors (the number of online shops repeating the same info for a different item is staggering!) rather than dodgy listings. I normally get a polite response, which is another way to surreptitiously check out the trustworthiness of a seller!

No response equals a Del Boy trader, IMHO!

HOURS OF BROWSING!!

Don't build your hopes up for a reply................

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I had to get my trophies into the house, past Mum! Strange how mothers just don't see the value in a muddy, rusty lump of iron!? "And where do you think you're taking that!?"

It was my Mum who reminded me that I had an old semaphore signal still lying at the back of her shed for years.

Once reminded, I retrieved it and it now sits proudly on my layout.

Thanks Mum. :)

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

29 minutes ago, bigP said:

Ah ha! This is the VERY RARE edition of the RAILWAY MODELLER VOLUME 42 NUMBER 484 MARCH 1991 with the embarrassing spelling mistake on page 23! Most copies were withdrawn from sale and pulped. Only a handful of unaltered copies made it onto newsagents' shelves. This appears to to be one of those few??

• Funny 5

On 19/12/2020 at 11:26, MrWolf said:

There's a Midland Railway boundary post in my mother's garden, been there since the 80s. It's been planted and painted up, so I won't be getting that back anytime soon.

Same here, but it's a GC 1/4 mile marker.

You're not putting that old thing in our garden.......

Meanwhile, just why?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flying-Scotsman-Minature-Train-In-Jewelled-Egg/233822116064?hash=item3670e258e0:g:07wAAOSwpaxeyuot

Maybe it's by Fabergresley?

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, leopardml2341 said:

Same here, but it's a GC 1/4 mile marker.

You're not putting that old thing in our garden.......

Meanwhile, just why?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flying-Scotsman-Minature-Train-In-Jewelled-Egg/233822116064?hash=item3670e258e0:g:07wAAOSwpaxeyuot

Maybe it's by Fabergresley?

Just ,.. one ..... word ....

WHY?

That has to be a case of "The worst that money can buy" 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

image.png.a2e42da5da6ff4f3567464085e699357.png

Because its a design

to the highest quality and artistic standards of The Bradford Group

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Or perhaps they had a load of "Scotsman" bits from a run of their dreadful clocks and decided to monetise them?

Rubbish materials, the glue holding in the battery holder is dying already!

As for the badly painted rotating "thing" up-top,  seeing one side is bad enough, seeing it in the round is even worse...

• Funny 5

You might want to put this out of its misery too...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Tri-ang-R152-Diesel-shunter-1960s-era/264976498778?epid=1560790171&hash=item3db1d4805a:g:qfkAAOSwf9Rft8Kp

The listing says it runs but is very slow, which may be due to it being hump-backed.  It also says "60s era" in the listing but the bent body (celluloid?) and the coupling makes me think its probably from 1956. L@@K RARE!!!

Yours for a minimum of £15...

• Funny 4