EBay madness

Marcyg

On 18/01/2021 at 19:14, PhilJ W said:

I have just ordered an item from Shapeways (Netherlands), the postage was £7:80p!

It shows what can be done. 

I'm getting four Lenz DCC decoders from Germany with postage set at €7.90 with DHL. 

EDIT. 

The postal costs from Germany were actually Euro 3.90 when I got to the checkout. 

Edited by amdaley
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I have just ordered an item from Shapeways (Netherlands), the postage was £7:80p!

57 minutes ago, amdaley said:

It shows what can be done. 

I'm getting four Lenz DCC decoders from Germany with postage set at €7.90 with DHL. 

Not a lot of difference, the Pound and Euro are almost level pegging now.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, amdaley said:

Ever since Brexit happened E Bay sellers have totally lost the run of themselves in regards to postage to Ireland.

A postcard.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Southern-Western-Railway-Ireland-Official-Postcard-Kerry-Hotels-2/383903904568

£10.03 to post a postcard.

$21.95 to the US! :o

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, amdaley said:

Ever since Brexit happened E Bay sellers have totally lost the run of themselves in regards to postage to Ireland.

A postcard.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Southern-Western-Railway-Ireland-Official-Postcard-Kerry-Hotels-2/383903904568

£10.03 to post a postcard.

A 6" X 4" photo.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Iarnrod-Eireann-Class-071-No-080-Dublin-Heuston-Irish-Railways-6x4-Photo-Print/254493827082?hash=item3b4103a00a:g:79MAAOSwXRleLfV7

£10.88 to post a 6" X 4"photo ?

I know Royal Mail charge high prices but this is just taking the p*** :rolleyes:

Nothing to to with Royal Mail.

The UK ebay listing shows it as free postage.

The second item is £0.99 postage.

It's Ebay's Global shipping program and their charges.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

Nothing to to with Royal Mail.

The UK ebay listing shows it as free postage.

The second item is £0.99 postage.

It's Ebay's Global shipping program and their charges.

Global shipping money making racket. A right con job. 

Edited by amdaley
  • Agree 7

Just prior to Christmas I sold two items using the auction format.  One was a Lima chassis powered by a circular low voltage motor.  The other was a set of five old Mainline BR Stannier coaches that were accurately described as having playwear marking as well as providing detailed images of the items.

The Lima class 43 chassis was bid up to $90.00.  Now given that I have a conscience and knowing the true value of the item was less than $40.00,  I refunded the buyer almost $50.00 and even paid the postage cost as well.  Well,   the buyer never even responded to my generosity or even supplied feedback.  A few days later along came the auction for the five coaches.  For some inexplicable reason a bidding war broke out and the coaches sold for $180.00.  Feeling a little miffed from my previous refund experience I decided that the buyer must know what he is doing and did not discount that sale.  Given that at the same time I was selling new unused condition Hornby and Bachmann super detail coaches for under $30.00 each I am still scratching my head why there was such interest in old marked Mainline coaches. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
On 17/01/2021 at 08:50, MrWolf said:

That as I am sure you know, isn't cracked paint, it's metal fatigue or Mazak decomposition.

It's scrap.

Definitely a Not as described!

But does come with a good box! Just toss the model out.

• Funny 4

4 hours ago, Pokemonprime said:

£7.90 to ship 4 DCC boards from Germany, and yet somehow it cost me £6.53 to get two wagons and two points shipped across the Atlantic, UK to America. I will never quite understand international shipping.

That's actually €7.90 Euro which works out about stg 7.00 and the DCC boards are being sent by DHL. 

43 minutes ago, MattA said:

Looks suspiciously like some tender drive Hornby contraption that's older than I am!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Looks suspiciously like some tender drive Hornby contraption that's older than I am!

Odd and certainly not Bachmann 32-950.  I don't recall Hornby ever making a Std 4 2-6-0* so it might be something cobbled together out of a spares box.  The tender, for example has a touch of the 9F about it but beyond that...

* The only 2-6-0s that Hornby have made up to recently were the Ivatt 2MT (too small and loco drive) and the Thomas James, which is completely wrong!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, 21C1 said:

It looks like a Airfix, Dapol kit body on a triang 2-6-2 chassis with the rear pony removed.. If I remember there was an article how to do this in an old Model railway Constructor magazine.

I'd go with the kit body, but the wheels and motion are far too refined for a Triang 2-6-2!  I thought perhaps a cut down Fowler 2-6-4, but the wheels on that are too big...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, MattA said:

In other words, something that might be described at best at as misleading and at worst as potentially fraudulent selling.

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Looks to me like a Lima crab chassis + Airfix body + Hornby black Std BR1A tender

Also looks like Romford drivers

Edited by CHAZ D
  • Like 2

Definitely Kitmaster/ Airfix/ Dapol derived loco body.

The moulded lining on the cab sides is plainly visible.

24C1BCBA-A020-4EB7-A2A2-31ACFF48A3B0.jpeg.e87b09080e66d2d029c644dc3a8ec296.jpeg

Hornby cylinders, The lining would go with a Blue Princess or Duchess loco?.  Fowler-tank / Princess  loco type valve gear, with plastic piston rod and cross head,  and Hornby coupling rods.

Romford type loco Driving axles and wheels, the slotted wheel retaining nuts are visible.

Hornby Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0 type pony truck, with coupling.

The Hornby loco chassis design dates from 1964, as it carries the SS lettering, indicating that the Synchrosmoke smoke unit (1964 - C1974) could be fitted. (S on its own was from 1961 to C1963, the original Seuthe type smoke units.)

I am thinking that this is a “Jinty” type 0-6-0 chassis, modified, with a section possibly from another chassis spliced in onto the flat area where a weight block, or the smoke unit, would be fitted.

Hornby loco to tender drawbar. Loco chassis live to tender pin type.

Hornby 9f, or Britannia tender with Ringfield motor drive. Dapol type coupling fitted.

Now, this isn’t a five minute job loco...it’s quite well done. BUT, apart from the Mainline design of the tender coupling, which was used by Bachmann at first, nothing Bachmann seems to be involved! 

Forensic modelling? ;)

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Tidy up
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 8

14 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Hornby cylinders, The lining would go with a Blue Princess or Duchess loco?.  Fowler-tank / Princess  loco type valve gear, with plastic piston rod and cross head,  and Hornby coupling rods.

Romford type loco Driving axles and wheels, the slotted wheel retaining nuts are visible.

The loco chassis design dates from 1964, as it carries the SS lettering, indicating that the Synchrosmoke smoke unit could be fitted. (S on its own was from 1961 to C1963, the original Seuthe type smoke units.)

I am thinking that this is a “Jinty” type 0-6-0 chassis, modified, with a section possibly from another chassis spliced in onto the flat area where a weight block, or the smoke unit, would be fitted.

Hornby 9f, or Britannia tender with Ringfield motor drive. Dapol type coupling fitted.

Now, this isn’t a five minute job loco...it’s quite well done. BUT, apart from the Mainline design of the tender coupling, which was used by Bachmann at first, nothing Bachmann seems to be involved! 

Forensic modelling? ;)

Sherlock Ruffnut, take a bow! :D

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2

How many times have we seen the Hachette Mk1 coach described as "Bachmann"?   Even the major retail stores listed them incorrectly at times.   I have even seen the diecast static model locomotives included with magazines that were described as being Hornby.  I have even advised a seller of his mistake,  been ignored and the seller then relisting the item incorrectly as before.  Now one could excuse a seller with no knowledge of model railway items but in the cases I have seen  the seller has model railway experience.  Mistake or possible deceit?  I know my answer.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

20 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

The Hornby loco chassis design dates from 1964, as it carries the SS lettering, indicating that the Synchrosmoke smoke unit (1964 - C1974) could be fitted. (S on its own was from 1961 to C1963, the original Seuthe type smoke units.)

Forensic modelling? ;)

Good call! More like Parts Bin Modelling.....

• Like 5