EBay madness

Marcyg

6 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Taking a look at his other items...

eBay item no: 402692829729

"GWR kit-built Trojan" Starting price £80

Accurately described as "used" (and also looks abused) but the part of the description that made my jaw drop was the following ...

"Metal Trojan body on a Hornby pug chassis. Chassis has been filed to fit loco. Motor will need reattaching as was removed to fit body."

I added the bold to draw attention to the fact that for £80 (BUY IT NOW!) you get a badly assembled and painted static lump of metal to adorn your layout, because the motor was removed to get the body to fit on the chassis!

Words fail me...

Steve S

Couldn't find the Trojan, must have been sold, but his Coopercraft wagons are an object lesson in kit construction, especially brake gear.

image.png.e6f51c857914b7800e6430e7612b7d48.png

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 6

1 hour ago, Nick Holliday said:

Couldn't find the Trojan, must have been sold, but his Coopercraft wagons are an object lesson in kit construction, especially brake gear.

I believe that the American comedian and accidental philosopher Sarah Silverman put the question most succinctly that many of us are asking when confronted with this picture, when she posited: 

"What the **** is that ****?"

• Funny 6

1 hour ago, Nick Holliday said:

This was the Trojan:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GWR-Kit-built-Trojan-/402692829729?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

It sold though. Clearly someone values it more highly than we do, or they're so very single that they run no risk of having to explain the purchase to a significant other.

Trojan? Sadly on inspection it looks more like the kind one might find abandoned on a nightclub fire escape....

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

8 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Taking a look at his other items...

eBay item no: 402692829729

"GWR kit-built Trojan" Starting price £80

Accurately described as "used" (and also looks abused) but the part of the description that made my jaw drop was the following ...

"Metal Trojan body on a Hornby pug chassis. Chassis has been filed to fit loco. Motor will need reattaching as was removed to fit body."

I added the bold to draw attention to the fact that for £80 (BUY IT NOW!) you get a badly assembled and painted static lump of metal to adorn your layout, because the motor was removed to get the body to fit on the chassis!

Words fail me...

Steve S

If you look at sold items the Trojan was sold twice in a week. First time £87 after 5 bids and the second time £80 on buy it now. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MyRule1 said:

If you look at sold items the Trojan was sold twice in a week. First time £87 after 5 bids and the second time £80 on buy it now. 

The next person who says something to you like: "There's no money about you know....." 

Try not to punch them in the face....

• Funny 4

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

This was the Trojan:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GWR-Kit-built-Trojan-/402692829729?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

It sold though. Clearly someone values it more highly than we do, or they're so very single that they run no risk of having to explain the purchase to a significant other.

Trojan? Sadly on inspection it looks more like the kind one might find abandoned on a nightclub fire escape....

And what was the fate of ancient Troy??

58 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

44 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

:O £200.00!?

Well, I looked it up, I know he lists all the track in the details section and a couple of items are NOT Hornby, but I just made a visual estimate of what was being offered from the photos (part of the description nowadays, right?) and came to the following estimate...

A well known retailer is offering the following track items:

R8075 RH Curved points                                                                     15.00
R8090 Semi flexible track                                                                     4.00

Can't make out what the curved track radii are, but

A full circle of 2nd Radius double curve track                                20.00
A full circle of 3rd Radius double curve track                                 20.00

6 std rad points @ 9.50                                                                      57.00
5 express rad points @ 15.00                                                           90.00
40 R600 straights @ 1.80                                                                   72.00
2 601 straights @ 2.20                                                                          4.40

(I won't bother tabulating further)

Total new, retail inc 4.00 delivery                                                   286.40

It looks like the vendor tried to value his elderly track against the cost of new track and came to a price he thought was suitable. The question is, would you rather have new, unused track for near on £290, or would you prefer to save £85 and have some old, rather ratty looking track from a random ebay seller?

Not that I'd be buying that sort of track, anyway!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Darius43 said:

I know Peco track products are in short supply at the moment but wow!!!

Cheers

Darius

Just means it's out of stock and they are lazy - instead of removing the listing they price it so high nobody will buy it (or if they are daft enough to, the seller has plenty of budget to find some with!).

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Condition is "new" ....

I know that there's some carp coming out of China, but I suspect that the missing bit of rail in picture two wouldn't have passed inspection!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

13 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Condition is "new" ....

I know that there's some carp coming out of China, but I suspect that the missing bit of rail in picture two wouldn't have passed inspection!

Funny that the rail was present in photo 1, but had been 'mislaid' by photo 2!?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Condition is "new" ....

"Condition:

New: A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item. See the seller's listing for full details. See all condition definitions"

• Like 1