EBay madness

Marcyg

10 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I guess they buy a group of models at what they would consider a reasonable price, then sell them on as individual items? I've noticed in the past that some dealers give such models a quick spray of grey undercoat (applied over existing paint, etched numberplates and transfers) before trying to sell them on? 

Used to get that a lot with vintage car body panels. Usually signified stuff bought cheaply through a club for a "project" 

I get fed up with wanted adverts that basically go "Elderly enthusiast seeks xxxx just to tinker with, can't afford silly prices, what have you?" 

I know someone who was in severe financial difficulty, sold a car to one of those chisellers for £800. (he needed £1000 really) 

The car was on eBay with a bent MOT within a week for £3100.

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, whatsatender said:

Maybe. Oxfam seems to have the crazy idea a Hornby Duplo carriage is worth £185.00 !!!

https://onlineshop.oxfam.org.uk/Hornby-dublo-4071-restaurant-car/product/HD_200312779?sku=HD_200312779

Please note: Dublo, not Duplo!  This coach was one of the most highly sought after by Dublo collectors some years ago. If I had donated one to a charity, I would hope that it would make every effort to maximise the resulting sale price, to which HMRC could add Gift Aid in some cases. Ramseys Guide suggests this item could fetch £180 if mint and with a box so it is not too ridiculous.

No doubt the number of Dublo collectors is diminishing and collections will be liquidated by executors and personal representatives so it is probably fair to expect values to reduce slightly. This already seems to be happening with the 4654 Rail Cleaning Wagon to some extent although high prices are still being sought.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

28 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

6' 9" Gauge in 4mm? I suppose if OO (16.5mm) is underscale it could be underscale GWR Broad Gauge. :D

Alternatively somebody needs to explain how track gauge is measured......

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, whatsatender said:

Funnily enough it appears to be the only listing in their Items for Sale which ISN'T 'Very Rare'! I'd hate to know how much the Rare version would be! :unsure:

• Funny 2

1 minute ago, Andy WD said:

Funnily enough it appears to be the only listing in their Items for Sale which ISN'T 'Very Rare'! I'd hate to know how much the Rare version would be! :unsure:

I did think this was an interesting "Very Rare" Item

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Santas-Express-Christmas-Train-Set-Original-Retail-Very-Rare/333856706583?hash=item4dbb691017:g:vZkAAOSw4shX3AOI

I wonder how it differs to this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07N8BSFPS?pf_rd_r=GJW15JYMR9T439HMA0JN&pf_rd_p=6e878984-68d5-4fd2-b7b3-7bc79d9c8b60&pd_rd_r=667310fd-31ea-42a9-94b0-810ac9b0caa6&pd_rd_w=yvJhW&pd_rd_wg=ekkaI&ref_=pd_gw_unk

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

7 minutes ago, whatsatender said:

You have to wonder whether the seller is clueless or a chancer?

They're doing nothing illegal though, if someone is daft enough to buy at that price then that's up to them.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

2 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Photos dated 16 May 2020...

Clear and in focus, not! :no:

A really informative description?

dont know make track job lot. Condition is "Used". Dispatched with Royal Mail 1st Class. lpaese see pic for condition and my other trian parts

How can it be that the seller doesn’t know the make?

Most sections have “Hornby DUBLO”  printed on the sides! :scratchhead:

I give in...HORNB Y....!:diablo_mini:

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Trying to get Hornby in capitals...Something keeps changing it to Hornby!
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

54 minutes ago, whatsatender said:

The two sets are different years production.

The EBay set is the earlier one, with the Reindeers In Transit van.

The Amazon set is a more recent issue, with Santa’s Sleigh In Transit van.

The two loaded Open Wagons are also a bit different....

Well, you did wonder? ;) 

Also see here?

The Amazon set on eBay...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-Hornby-Locomotive-Santas-Express-Brand-New/284194106588?

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Link added.
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, whatsatender said:

"Postage:

£499.99 Standard Delivery" - 'Delivered by private helicopter to a lawn near you!' :jester:

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

There is and always has been a number of people who have got to possess a certain item, no matter what the price, even if they could buy one cheaper elsewhere / it's not particularly rare / it's only the latest fad / it's an obsolete piece of junk.

Try an ebay search for "Old rope".  This chap has quite a few like this ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reclaimed-Old-Natural-Vintage-Hessian-Rope-6-7m-Garage-Ship-Nautical-Maritime-B/303664761460?hash=item46b3d48a74:g:-28AAOSwf~tfRO6N

... AND he's got excellent feedback!

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

37 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Photos dated 16 May 2020...

Clear and in focus, not! :no:

A really informative description?

Most sections have “Hornby DUBLO” printed on the sides! :scratchhead:

37 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Maybe its a combination of being partially sighted, the track being grotty and hard to read, and because he didn't stop to ask the owner of the garage he just robbed ;-)

Edited by whatsatender
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

14 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

"Postage:

£499.99 Standard Delivery" - 'Delivered by private helicopter to a lawn near you!' :jester:

You might like to "see other products" where you will find he has quite a number of similar bargains.

One might also wonder about the origin or authenticity of the feedback he has received.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

11 hours ago, andyman7 said:

If you look the seller appears to have acquired a large collection of unused Hornby items. I suspect that for some people, getting a 'new' item long since unavailable as such is making them bid well over 'the going rate'. The irony is I suspect a number of the models may well need fettling to get going as 15-20 years non-use leads to solidified lubricant, gremlins etc.

But I still find bargains quite often on ebay, you just have to be prepared to hunt them out.

Thing is, anything younger than about 20 years old will fall into the "China Manufacture" bracket, with all that entails.  If its not turned a wheel in that period, its going to need a complete debugging before being used!  Anything actually older, though not being as finely detailed, will probably burst into life with a groan of their old XO motor...

10 hours ago, whatsatender said:

Maybe. Oxfam seems to have the crazy idea a Hornby Duplo carriage is worth £185.00 !!!

https://onlineshop.oxfam.org.uk/Hornby-dublo-4071-restaurant-car/product/HD_200312779?sku=HD_200312779

I saw one of these go for £60 not so long ago and I thought that was mental.

I've got one of those!  There always used to be (pre-internet) adverts in the wanted column of Railway Modeller offering silly sums for "mint" examples.  Sadly, mine has a small scratch on one side, not that I'd sell it... 

One went for £125 in December (is called rare!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Hornby-Dublo-4071-Br-Maroon-Restaurant-Car-/373400956844?hash=item56f06e6fac%3Ag%3AhCQAAOSwDnpf4SGU&nma=true&si=VQaePxWX8jkZU1Mihum0zyKZ0YU%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Perhaps they are "L@@K RARE!" because they were introduced just before HD went belly-up?

• Like 4

On 26/02/2021 at 08:11, Hroth said:

Thing is, anything younger than about 20 years old will fall into the "China Manufacture" bracket, with all that entails.  If its not turned a wheel in that period, its going to need a complete debugging before being used!  Anything actually older, though not being as finely detailed, will probably burst into life with a groan of their old XO motor...

I've got one of those!  There always used to be (pre-internet) adverts in the wanted column of Railway Modeller offering silly sums for "mint" examples.  Sadly, mine has a small scratch on one side, not that I'd sell it... 

One went for £125 in December (is called rare!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Hornby-Dublo-4071-Br-Maroon-Restaurant-Car-/373400956844?hash=item56f06e6fac%3Ag%3AhCQAAOSwDnpf4SGU&nma=true&si=VQaePxWX8jkZU1Mihum0zyKZ0YU%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Perhaps they are "L@@K RARE!" because they were introduced just before HD went belly-up?

I'm SO glad I don't 'collect' HD, or anything else for that matter! 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Looks like a Class 33 to me!

Yes, a Class 33 Diesel, with Mk2 coaches...

These are early Lima models, and are in fact HO, 3.5mm/ 1 foot, 1:87 scale.

The giveaway being the “continental “ type hook and loop couplings. ;)

• Agree 3

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-Bachmann-Class-40-Bogies-with-Hornby-Sprung-Buffers-OO-Gauge-not-44-45-46/154339708613?hash=item23ef5d0ec5:g:~VAAAOSwKqJgMkKI

I believe these are Bachmann Class 40 Bogies ?

I have fitted them with new Hornby 08 Sprung Buffers OO gauge

Purchased new in error as class 45 44 46 bogies, very similar. Will fit but are slightly different steps. etc

Fitted with BR Hornby sprung buffers which look better than Bachmann ones.

They look better - except 40s never had round buffers - in fact Peaks never had 08 diameter buffers either. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I'm SO glad I don't 'collect' HD, or anything else for that matter! 

Me neither, I've had mine since, oh, the early 60s.  I just never chucked it out on reaching "mans estate"...

Attics?  Don't talk to me about attics!  :crazy:

• Round of applause 2

On 26/02/2021 at 08:11, Hroth said:

I love older model railway engineering. Not just the motor noise and smells but the better than average chances of breathing life into a 'non-runner' chassis.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2