EBay madness

Marcyg

20 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

"Never been opened" and "Bargain" apparently.

What we in fact have is the ye ancient the instructions were translated from the original Latin Triang Class 37 on the Class 47 bogies monstrosity and yours for a few pence change out of a hundred and twenty sheets.... :laugh_mini2:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Hornby-BR-37260-Co-Co-Diesel-Electric-Class-37-Locomotive-Never-Unwrapped/124637338446?hash=item1d04f6db4e:g:uGgAAOSw2m1gPPLI

One could actually say: "Untouched by human hands!"?

• Funny 2

17 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

What we in fact have is the ye ancient the instructions were translated from the original Latin Triang Class 37 on the Class 47 bogies monstrosity and yours for a few pence change out of a hundred and twenty sheets.... :laugh_mini2:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Hornby-BR-37260-Co-Co-Diesel-Electric-Class-37-Locomotive-Never-Unwrapped/124637338446?hash=item1d04f6db4e:g:uGgAAOSw2m1gPPLI

Call me crazy! Call me reckless! Call me stupid! Call me.......! But 3 bottles of ipa (beer type not cleaning type)and a few nice vodka's..(no work tomorrow...or next day ...or...).....I've put a offer in for above....my thoughts where to clear ebay of trash and donate to local charity shop if won when thay open from lockdown...but sadly offer was declined....!

Screenshot_20210315-230512_eBay.jpg

• Round of applause 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

EBay is getting harder by the year, as well as the sellers we enjoy(!) on this thread, there are also more and more buyers who "try it on", with new and inventive ways of trying to cheat the seller. 

I have bought and sold on eBay for 18 years and have a feedback score of nearly 1200.  The vast majority of that though is personal stuff (not model railway-related) but I admit, I have bought stuff with the intention of selling.  However........ objecting to paying £5 + £4 postage for a cheap old wagon I can buy at a swapmeet for perhaps £3 each, I have often in the past bought job lots where I want to keep a minimum of a quarter of the lot.   Mixed and matched later - a job lot of similar wagons I didn't want, for example - with a detailed description (which so many sellers desperate to make quick money, can't be bothered with) I have often ended up with what I do want for very little or effectively free.  I doubt HMRC are interested as my selling often has gaps of at least 6 months - not many eBay businesses sell less than £100 then stop trading for half the year - and some items I've bought have been sold ten years later.  Not exactly very business-like is it?

The behaviours at model fairs described above are also displayed on eBay, hence what I said about traders masquerading as private sellers.  Quite a few years ago a bidder on one lot got in touch wanting to know what else I was selling; my next lot was to be a large job lot of "train set" Hornby wagons so asked to come and see them.  No problem; he turned up, friendly and polite but everything about his dress and manner said, "Market Trader" so when he said he was "Just putting together a set for my grandson", I just smiled.  He bought almost the whole lot for a price I was happy with so no complaints.

By the end of that day, each and every wagon was listed separately on eBay, at twice the price.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Ebay certinately isn't what it used to be, there's very few real bargains to be had these days, I tend to use it for scenery now, and items out of stock in shops, and again paying what I want to pay and if not walking....536 is my feedback score.....I'm not a dealer either.

Edited by pheaton
  • Like 6

The problem with P&P costs is simple.

Royal Mail sizing places anything much bigger than the standard single DVD case out of Large Letter and into Small Packet/ Parcel.

So, yes, a single wagon is a Small Packet/ Parcel.

The basic Second Class Signed For Small Parcel price is now £4.20 at the Post Office. (EBay requires a tracked method of shipping to comply with their “guarantee “...)

As EBay and PayPal fees now include P&P charged (due in part to a past practice of charging over the top P&P, and selling the item itself cheap...that and the practice of EBay and PayPal liking to improve their income...) a seller would need to charge around £5.00.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

We think E-Bay is bad, this chap gave away £400,000 worth of Bitcoin cos Elon promised to double it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56402378

This puts the E-Bay gougers, scammers and ne'er do wells to shame.

Never ceases to amaze me....

hey woodenhead...if you send me £1000 I promise ill send you £2000 back........if it was money you could see....you would think twice....but because it was something he couldn't immediately tie a value to it was all too easy.....

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, pheaton said:

hey woodenhead...if you send me £1000 I promise ill send you £2000 back........if it was money you could see....you would think twice....but because it was something he couldn't immediately tie a value to it was all too easy.....

If it sounds to good to be true it is to good to be true....run!

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, Northmoor said:

By the end of that day, each and every wagon was listed separately on eBay, at twice the price.

And if you could be bothered with all the hassle of listing them with the need to photograph them and put together a description, you could of course have put them on ebay yourself and made whatever profit he made.  You could look at his profit as payment for his labour in doing that.

But don't forget listing them at those prices doesn't mean he managed to sell them all!  A trader might well have to keep on relisting unsold items or reduce his prices to convert this investment in working capital back into cash.  And he probably incurs costs of over 15% in ebay/paypal fees.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

And if you could be bothered with all the hassle of listing them with the need to photograph them and put together a description, you could of course have put them on ebay yourself and made whatever profit he made.  You could look at his profit as payment for his labour in doing that.

But don't forget listing them at those prices doesn't mean he managed to sell them all!  A trader might well have to keep on relisting unsold items or reduce his prices to convert this investment in working capital back into cash.  And he probably incurs costs of over 15% in ebay/paypal fees.

I'm not criticising him for his efforts at all, as you say he had to do all this (although ISTR his listings were just brief cut-n-pastes).  I got what I wanted so I was happy and no, he probably couldn't sell them all (hence making a lot of effort to make very little money, which is what a lot of moaning traders in all walks of life seem to do).  My criticism is of a trader pretending to be a private individual, which I think is sharp practice.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

My criticism is of a trader pretending to be a private individual, which I think is sharp practice.

No doubt HMRC would agree with you, as tax should be yet another cost he would have to pay out of his profit - but the problem of defining a trader is rather a matter of opinion.  It's not black & white, and apparently there are 50 shades of grey.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I'm not criticising him for his efforts at all, as you say he had to do all this (although ISTR his listings were just brief cut-n-pastes).  I got what I wanted so I was happy and no, he probably couldn't sell them all (hence making a lot of effort to make very little money, which is what a lot of moaning traders in all walks of life seem to do).  My criticism is of a trader pretending to be a private individual, which I think is sharp practice.

1x trader is a 'trader'

2x trader is 'traders'

3 or more traders is collectively known as a 'winge'

Apologies to any traders looking or posting....but you will know what I mean 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

Hope thay use plenty of bubble wrap to protect the model wouldn't want it getting bent ! you know how bad deliverers are at roughly treating packaging!!

To be fair on delivery drivers the regular chaps and lady chaps that deliver in our area are all decent and are polite and dont manhandled/miss treat in public and since last march have been not key workers but 'deliverers of dreams angel's' take a bow chaps!

But when are thay going to stop playing knock a door run! I stopped when I was 13!

Edited by bradfordbuffer
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

We think E-Bay is bad, this chap gave away £400,000 worth of Bitcoin cos Elon promised to double it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56402378

This puts the E-Bay gougers, scammers and ne'er do wells to shame.

1 hour ago, pheaton said:

Thats why my spam folder is full of e-mails promising easy money, thirty at the last count (but that includes young 'ladies' offering other services).

• Friendly/supportive 2

13 hours ago, John M Upton said:

One could actually say: "Untouched by human hands!"?

• Funny 1

This can't be real !!

R8217 Hornby TrakMat. AND THIS IS A ORIGINAL RELEASE FROM YEAR 2007. WHICH IS HARD TO FIND, ESPECIALLY IN A MINT CONDITION. Hornby R1073 00 DCC Gauge British Pullman Venice Simplon Orient Express Tr

£2,999.99

+ £499.99 postageainset.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Yes indeed. sad to say, Bitcoin has taken some bad press over the years.

I'd suggest a new money-making idea:- BitChocolate. 

You phone me up, on my premium hotline, and the ladies will post the packaging by return of post.  The ladies do pride themselves on a very quick turnaround.... They also do a 100% QA test, which is free!

If this idea is successful, I plan to run a similar service for Beer & Cider.

Tootle Pip!

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

3 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

This can't be real !!

R8217 Hornby TrakMat. AND THIS IS A ORIGINAL RELEASE FROM YEAR 2007. WHICH IS HARD TO FIND, ESPECIALLY IN A MINT CONDITION. Hornby R1073 00 DCC Gauge British Pullman Venice Simplon Orient Express Tr

£2,999.99

+ £499.99 postageainset.

"HARD TO FIND" no less! :locomotive:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

"Please note the photos are of actual models'

That's a relief, I wouldn't want to buy a full sized saddle tank by accident.

Or some other random bit of junk for £30...

• Funny 6