EBay madness

Marcyg

4 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

"Please note the photos are of actual models'

That's a relief, I wouldn't want to buy a full sized saddle tank by accident.

Or some other random bit of junk for £30...

"THIS A CLOCKWORK ORANGE FITTED TO A TRIANG 0-6-0 CHASSIS" :o

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

"Please note the photos are of actual models'

That's a relief, I wouldn't want to buy a full sized saddle tank by accident.

Or some other random bit of junk for £30...

Imagine trying to explain the delivery of a full sized saddle tank to the Domestic Authorities! "Where are you going to put that?" would be the least of your worries! :locomotive:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

No doubt HMRC would agree with you, as tax should be yet another cost he would have to pay out of his profit - but the problem of defining a trader is rather a matter of opinion.  It's not black & white, and apparently there are 50 shades of grey.

Some years ago, I remember being told by an acquaintance who worked in a garage that they could offer a choice from 36 shades of black.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

There was much hot debate in my local village shop many decades ago over an item whose official colour on the packaging was described as "Nearly Black" which we eventually concluded just meant dark grey.....

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Crikey!

'tis  Triangs old R153, given a GWR paintjob, although its reputedly a Wainwright SE&CR S Class.  Chosen because the relatively high saddle tank gave some room for a clockwork mechanism, though it could also be X04 powered...

And it might have had the earlier Triang couplings replaced by slightly more modern tension-lock too, given the rather droopy appearance in Exhibit 1.

Edited by Hroth
An Extra Thort
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

19 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Here's another woeful Triang loco...

Sir Dinadan

Weathered, it says it is....

What happens when one wafts a spray can of 'Dirty Black' over a model and declare it 'weathered'?

"Looks like a good job though as it doesn’t look out of place."

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Isn't that just another name for matt black?!?

Sacrilege! It's a sort of very dirty grey/black ... does wonders when lightly sprayed on boilers for weathering, or alternatively can be used to obliterate King Arthur identities... Revell 9 anthracite is the same kind of thing. It's also called scale black in some circles... basically if you want black to look like its been out and about a bit use that

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Firecrest said:

Phoenix Precision weathered black has a lot to answer for

I recall visiting an antique and secondhand furniture emporium in East Wales some years ago. Ahead of me were two very posh ladies who were voicing their horror at items of furniture that had been 'shabby chic'd'. They weren't whispering! On turning a corner we encountered the man doing the shabby chic-ing! I was glad I had kept my thoughts to myself! 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

32 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

I do like that Barton- Wright locomotive. It reminds me of the old Triang 0-6-0 saddle tank.

Oh, hang on........ 

Its a Wainwright you know, lovely  plumage...

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

And another thing.....

Just flicking through ebay (as you do) and came across one of  old "Kit Builts" offerings

A LoTI tender, a snip at just under £30!

Evidently the description is correct as it has been mauled about by a previous owner.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

51 minutes ago, Hroth said:

And another thing.....

Just flicking through ebay (as you do) and came across one of  old "Kit Builts" offerings

A LoTI tender, a snip at just under £30!

Evidently the description is correct as it has been mauled about by a previous owner.

It's had a dose of the later livery with lined black frames (the lining is better than I could manage!) A 3 link coupling fitted to the rear as well makes me think that either it was an attempt long ago to improve a single, or it was one of those Tri-ang 3F converted to a Dean Goods jobs from the 70s.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Oh, this is an easy one.

Tri-ang Railways Saddle tank loco. 

The model is loosely based on the S Class shunting loco of the SE&CR.

There was only one, converted from a C Class tender loco, for shunting at the Richborough Port.

https://sremg.org.uk/steam/sclass.shtml

As the photos both shew the same side, I can’t tell if this one has the keyhole, as the loco was made in clockwork and electric versions...both BR plain Black, no. 748. Both early and late BR crests were used.

The Primary Series from 1959 has a black and green clockwork version...

1F5D83F4-EDB5-4D3E-AF82-6B3FDE080A9F.jpeg.3fc60d5ebec4b561a2d95671873dd2cf.jpeg

Early models have the Mk2 open loop couplings. This one has no keyhole, a proper electric model...

9D229F3C-A3A4-49FC-ADC2-6E91A482B086.jpeg.0a8355999946e2701c64528d11fb8fee.jpeg

The Mk3 couplings date the GWR one to after 1959.

I should have read the description first...says it is a clockwork body, possibly why they are not shewing the side with the key hole then!

Nothing “kit built” about it...paint and transfers!

Barton Wright and the L&Y have nothing to do with it...

It has been painted, and is masquerading as the GWR, ex Port Talbot Railway, saddle tank loco 813...

https://www.svrwiki.com/GWR_813_Saddle_Tank

Edit: I have been catching up, so this was posted before I read Hroth’s posts...;)

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Error...update...
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

6 hours ago, John M Upton said:

There was much hot debate in my local village shop many decades ago over an item whose official colour on the packaging was described as "Nearly Black" which we eventually concluded just meant dark grey.....

Sounds like tights or stockings, that does! ;)

• Funny 4

10 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Oh, this is an easy one.

Tri-ang Railways Saddle tank loco. 

The model is loosely based on the S Class shunting loco of the SE&CR.

There was only one, converted from a C Class tender loco, for shunting at the Richborough Port.

https://sremg.org.uk/steam/sclass.shtml

As the photos both shew the same side, I can’t tell if this one has the keyhole, as the loco was made in clockwork and electric versions...both BR plain Black, no. 748. Both early and late BR crests were used.

The Primary Series from 1959 has a black and green clockwork version...

1F5D83F4-EDB5-4D3E-AF82-6B3FDE080A9F.jpeg.3fc60d5ebec4b561a2d95671873dd2cf.jpeg

Early models have the Mk2 open loop couplings. This one has no keyhole, a proper electric model...

9D229F3C-A3A4-49FC-ADC2-6E91A482B086.jpeg.0a8355999946e2701c64528d11fb8fee.jpeg

The Mk3 couplings date the GWR one to after 1959.

I should have read the description first...says it is a clockwork body, possibly why they are not shewing the side with the key hole then!

Nothing “kit built” about it...paint and transfers!

Barton Wright and the L&Y have nothing to do with it...

It has been painted, and is masquerading as the GWR, ex Port Talbot Railway, saddle tank loco 813...

https://www.svrwiki.com/GWR_813_Saddle_Tank

Edit: I have been catching up, so this was posted before I read Hroth’s posts...;)

I've both the green and the black versions in clockwork, and the black electric version. All work well, no matter how "toylike" they are, its good going for models approaching their 70th birthday!

Having looked at your link to 813, its easy to see the resemblance and I do remember seeing the loco being demonstrated on youtube, but I didn't make the connection!

• Like 5