EBay madness

Marcyg

19 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Ebay likes to encourage bidders to 'Bid again - don't lose it!', whilst sellers are saying if you bid more than once they'll remove your new bid? Different agendas at play?

That's why mine are all Buy it now!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MartinWales said:

That's why mine are all Buy it now!

That's why I prefer 'Buy it now' - you know what you will get and what you will pay for it. Like it used to be with traders at shows.

In some ways, ebay can become the graveyard of creative inspiration? Something (usually a wreck) with potential pops up, which no one appears to show any interest in; you develop a mental plan for what it may become; then, in the dying seconds, it gets sniped for silly money, in front of your eyes! I look forward to the day when I can resume my wreck-hunting in 'under the table' boxes at shows! I fear ebay has turned me into a GoM!? :wacko:

• Friendly/supportive 6

45 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

I encountered one of these on a market antique stall before the lockdown. I took it home for £20.00!

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Porcy Mane said:

An optimist with a "new" split-chassis 04.  Have you seen how much he wants for a Margate built B12?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-00-Gauge-Loco-And-Tender-B12-Green-8509-Model-R150-R39/265005593298?_trkparms=aid%3D1110002%26algo%3DSPLICE.SOI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20201210111451%26meid%3Dcb231872d678447193e6b84b3df9ed15%26pid%3D101196%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26mehot%3Dpf%26sd%3D265007775672%26itm%3D265005593298%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DPromotedSellersOtherItemsV2WithMLRv3%26brand%3DHornby&_trksid=p2047675.c101196.m2219

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Porcy Mane said:

Dunno If your attention has been brought to this item:

Description is a bit iffy where it is listed as  "Whitemetal" and "Britannia" diesel shunter.

I suspect the seller has started his listing by choosing "sell one like this" from a different listing to get a template but forgetting to update all the fields.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, cessna152towser said:

Lockdown or no lockdown, those Studebakers cost a lot to run

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

A bit expensive for what is essentially a repainted grounded van body.  And Its a bit odd to call a bogieless vehicle "2-rail", you could put some old 3-rail Hornby Dublo bogies under it...

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

You only have to look at who is selling it.

That seller has form for stuff like this ^_^

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, amdaley said:

You only have to look at who is selling it.

That seller has form for stuff like this ^_^

Based on this listing from the same seller, I should "unbox" all my stock:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R2830-EMPTY-BOX-for-DCC-READY-BR-4-4-0-CLASS-T9-LOCOMOTIVE-30258-nx/333736634240?hash=item4db440e780:g:UlYAAOSwH21fcZ2v

• Funny 4

2 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

???????? you've lost me with that reference ???????

...well, I was just reading your bit on Trestrols (South Pelaw thread) and thought, I wonder how much they go for on ebay?, so I did an ebay search and the first one that came up was being sold by the very same chap with the £160 class 04...what a coincidence Uncle P!

...so that got me thinking, I should get you to suggest some numbers on next weeks lottery!

• Like 3

The Bachmann shunter listing has been updated?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-31-337-04-DIESEL-SHUNTER-D2280-BR-GREEN-SCALE-1-76/265007775672?

Anyway, for a “new” model, where is the paperwork?

And the card insert with the photo of the prototype?

;)

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Link tested, more added...
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Hroth said:

"Item Condition. used 2. 3 times. there was a heavy item in the box.  that's why some parts from the case broke Pieces.see photo please." Damage to the front end suggests loco was dropped??

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

"Item Condition. used 2. 3 times. there was a heavy item in the box.  that's why some parts from the case broke Pieces.see photo please." Damage to the front end suggests loco was dropped??

What was the "heavy item in the box"? A gold brick??

• Funny 3

8 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Is that used 2.3 times after the loco was converted to Three Rail?

A bit strange not to actually mention the conversion, and the PECO coupling fitted to the tender....:scratchhead:

I didn't look that closely, 3-rail and an HD compatible coupling eh?  The shattered rear of the cab around the body-fixing screw area does tend to indicate a fatal collision, either with the floor, or an HD Duchess of Montrose. Head on...

In the item specifics, it's suggested that its 2-rail, BR livery and a replica of Brittannia...  :jester:

And again, the attribution as

Hornby DUBLO 00 Gauge 'Loco And Tender B12 Green 8509' Model...

Triang,-Hornby more like, though R150 is probably correct.

Not something that would make it especially desirable, I'd have thought.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2