EBay madness

Marcyg

I'd go with your £30-35 bid and see what you can salvage, before splitting the rest up into sellable lots.

I've done that with garages full of car or bike parts.

Not so long ago I went to look at a garage full of all sorts of junk. The developer who had bought the deceased estate said - I want a grand, no haggling else forget it. On opening the doors I could see just enough of the rear end of a motorcycle to know it was a '40s Ariel, laid on top of another I couldn't recognise.

I think that I did a pretty good job of pretending to ponder for a minute before reluctantly(!) handing over the cash.

No, I don't feel guilty, he couldn't be bothered sorting it out and he turned up in a new Discovery. I was in a borrowed van.

I don't see any Red Hunters in that pile, but it would be worth a root through if cheap enough, seeing as the seller doesn't want the trouble of splitting it into lots and having to work for his £300. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, rab said:

He must have seen your post.   Maybe he's a member here.  Title has been changed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

"looks to be is in good condition but please check photos carefully."

I'm seeing this phrase more and more on Ebay, it's as though some people think it absolves them of any responsibility.

If the seller can't see with the item in front of them what chance have the rest of us got?

Mike.

• Agree 8

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

"looks to be is in good condition but please check photos carefully."

I'm seeing this phrase more and more on Ebay, it's as though some people think it absolves them of any responsibility.

If the seller can't see with the item in front of them what chance have the rest of us got?

Mike.

The companion of: "I don't have the facilities to test this locomotive." A length of track and a controller, not rocket science!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 04/04/2021 at 12:53, Northmoor said:

Not aimed at any one contributor specifically but I'm starting to think this is the RMWeb smart-a***'s thread.

In the days when I bought job lots, kept what I wanted and resorted the contents into "themed" job lots to re-sell (and usually make back all my costs), I would have bid on something like this.  No it isn't worth the listed price, but I would have bid maybe £30-35.  Consider this:

• The Hornby platforms, scenic items and signals would sell easily as they are expensive new and a few dirty marks don't put people off; 
  • The Lima Centre Cab diesels are often used by people motorising the Airfix/Dapol railbus;
  • The Lima HO coaches I have sold before to O-16.5 modellers for conversions, or perhaps just for the bogies;
  • That much track, even if a bit rusty, will sell as a job lot for a tenner;
  • Even the Triang wagons, missing parts, will sell as a small job lot.

Funnily enough I've just been pleasantly surprised at secondhand prices on a couple of model shop websites.  Some things are being offered at the same price as perhaps five years ago (which arguably, they should be) while a couple of my redundant locos, I will be listing on eBay shortly if that's what they are fetching now.

As for Lima HO stuff deserving only the bin, to run with a couple of DB Electrics I have collected at least a dozen Lima HO continental wagons.  Yes the couplings can go and they need better wheels really but I can run a reasonably prototypical DB freight train which cost me much less than ONE new wagon.  Screwing up the weathering on the old wagons it a lot cheaper too.

Yes, there are many cases of people advertising stuff on ebay either poorly described or at unrealistic prices but I'm glad you have called out the somewhat smug 'only fit for the bin' comments. In my view, properly sorted and lotted there is a market for almost anything to the right buyer, whether it is someone on a budget or someone looking to modify/adapt/repair. Whilst £150 would be a miracle, I'm sure if the seller started this lot at 99p with no reserve, they'd get quite a bit more than £3 or some of the other valuations here.

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Not exactly Kit Built.

This is a Gaiety, Castle Arts, Pannier Tank Loco body. Basically a one piece die cast body, with added fittings.

The two small holes in the rear of the bunker have been drilled to take the locating lugs on a Tri-ang 0-6-0 chassis, fitted “backwards” into the body.

This early Tri-ang Railways chassis has been fitted with PECO Hornby Dublo type couplings, and converted to 3-Rail using an original Hornby Dublo pick up unit, cut in two to clear the driving gear.

The loco has been painted...;)

These bodies were offered by the likes of Hattons, mounted onto Tri-ang  or Hornby Dublo 0-6-0 chassis.

There were locos with the original Gaiety Chassis as well...

https://tri-angman.co.uk/product/gaiety-0-6-0-pannier-tank-running-chassis-good-running-order/

2D9453A3-BB2D-4D26-A6AD-DE5589AD360B.jpeg.1576339770e12a034313d7ffb820e276.jpeg

http://www.binnsroad.co.uk/railways/gaiety/index.html

1A792381-661D-45BA-A42C-0391879F2B99.jpeg.9745f26aa1209aee37860eb4002e1c37.jpeg

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Typo....more added...
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 04/04/2021 at 12:53, Northmoor said:

Not aimed at any one contributor specifically but I'm starting to think this is the RMWeb smart-a***'s thread.

In the days when I bought job lots, kept what I wanted and resorted the contents into "themed" job lots to re-sell (and usually make back all my costs), I would have bid on something like this.  No it isn't worth the listed price, but I would have bid maybe £30-35.  Consider this:

• The Hornby platforms, scenic items and signals would sell easily as they are expensive new and a few dirty marks don't put people off; 
  • The Lima Centre Cab diesels are often used by people motorising the Airfix/Dapol railbus;
  • The Lima HO coaches I have sold before to O-16.5 modellers for conversions, or perhaps just for the bogies;
  • That much track, even if a bit rusty, will sell as a job lot for a tenner;
  • Even the Triang wagons, missing parts, will sell as a small job lot.

Funnily enough I've just been pleasantly surprised at secondhand prices on a couple of model shop websites.  Some things are being offered at the same price as perhaps five years ago (which arguably, they should be) while a couple of my redundant locos, I will be listing on eBay shortly if that's what they are fetching now.

As for Lima HO stuff deserving only the bin, to run with a couple of DB Electrics I have collected at least a dozen Lima HO continental wagons.  Yes the couplings can go and they need better wheels really but I can run a reasonably prototypical DB freight train which cost me much less than ONE new wagon.  Screwing up the weathering on the old wagons it a lot cheaper too.

Might this initiate the death of this thread?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

2 hours ago, andyman7 said:

Yes, there are many cases of people advertising stuff on ebay either poorly described or at unrealistic prices but I'm glad you have called out the somewhat smug 'only fit for the bin' comments. In my view, properly sorted and lotted there is a market for almost anything to the right buyer, whether it is someone on a budget or someone looking to modify/adapt/repair. Whilst £150 would be a miracle, I'm sure if the seller started this lot at 99p with no reserve, they'd get quite a bit more than £3 or some of the other valuations here.

Nothing is ever truly scrap, (I have been rescuing, fixing, buying and selling old things almost my entire life, ) what makes it worthless is when someone is touting something not worth much as it is for silly money. 

I quite like the job lots. A good number of people might fancy one or two items but be put off bidding because they think that the big lot will go for big money. Which is why you stick in your £30-35 bid and walk away. You might just get something that you want cheaply. 

You then make the effort to split the lot up into individual or sensible lots and relist. Chances are that you will over a few weeks make more money than the BIN price for this lot. But you won't get an instant big profit for zero work.

Hence it's only fit for the bin at that money.

I have seen people smash up and scrap stuff on dozens of occasions because they can't sell it for three times what it is worth. 

I have had a clear out recently of odds and ends of rolling stock. I didn't get a fortune for it, but it wasn't worth much. I had at the end of it half a carrier bag of old coach bodies, wagon chassis and similar bits. I put it on eBay at £0.99 plus postage. 

I described exactly what was in the lot, I stated quite clearly that it was all junk, but might be some use to someone. 

I think that it made about £12. So that is what it is worth. If someone used a couple of bits and threw the rest away ( Or hopefully put it back on eBay at £0.99 start) at least it's not entirely wasted.

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

46 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Nothing is ever truly scrap, (I have been rescuing, fixing, buying and selling old things almost my entire life, ) what makes it worthless is when someone is touting something not worth much as it is for silly money. 

I quite like the job lots. A good number of people might fancy one or two items but be put off bidding because they think that the big lot will go for big money. Which is why you stick in your £30-35 bid and walk away. You might just get something that you want cheaply. 

You then make the effort to split the lot up into individual or sensible lots and relist. Chances are that you will over a few weeks make more money than the BIN price for this lot. But you won't get an instant big profit for zero work.

Hence it's only fit for the bin at that money.

I have seen people smash up and scrap stuff on dozens of occasions because they can't sell it for three times what it is worth. 

I have had a clear out recently of odds and ends of rolling stock. I didn't get a fortune for it, but it wasn't worth much. I had at the end of it half a carrier bag of old coach bodies, wagon chassis and similar bits. I put it on eBay at £0.99 plus postage. 

I described exactly what was in the lot, I stated quite clearly that it was all junk, but might be some use to someone. 

I think that it made about £12. So that is what it is worth. If someone used a couple of bits and threw the rest away ( Or hopefully put it back on eBay at £0.99 start) at least it's not entirely wasted.

I guess negative reactions are initiated by grossly unrealistic starting prices, very poor photography, lack of confirmation that an item 'works' and inaccurately described 'wreaks'. Another catch-all phrase used is "been in storage".

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5

Wish I had a pound for every motorcycle or car that I have been to look at where the owner says something along the lines of: " I can't show it you running, there's no petrol in it / the battery's flat / I didn't have time... But it runs like a watch!" 

Or: "I've been told that the registration number is worth at least a grand... I haven't got a modern log book and no MOT but this bloke I know says there's a way around it... "

#@£&€¥$s...

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Wish I had a pound for every motorcycle or car that I have been to look at where the owner says something along the lines of: " I can't show it you running, there's no petrol in it / the battery's flat / I didn't have time... But it runs like a watch!" 

Or: "I've been told that the registration number is worth at least a grand... I haven't got a modern log book and no MOT but this bloke I know says there's a way around it... "

#@£&€¥$s...

I guess, unlike being present at a physical auction, in an ebay transaction the seller will always have certain additional sales advantages over the buyer? As I've said before, if I buy a loco from a trader at a show I always ask to see it run - to examine the quartering, slow running forward and reverse, etc.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triang-Missile-Launching-Wagon-R343-OO-Gauge-00-vintage-Rovex-old-rolling-stock/143998883126?hash=item2187009536:g:LoAAAOSwextgaZ2N

Case in point: Wagon sold minus its missiles. The same seller is offering three missiles in a separate listing. It appears quite common to offer these wagons for sale, without missiles? But perhaps I'm over-thinking?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

8 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triang-Missile-Launching-Wagon-R343-OO-Gauge-00-vintage-Rovex-old-rolling-stock/143998883126?hash=item2187009536:g:LoAAAOSwextgaZ2N

Case in point: Wagon sold minus its missiles. The same seller is offering three missiles in a separate listing. It appears quite common to offer these wagons for sale, without missiles? But perhaps I'm over-thinking?

Now you would think that an "antique" like that is "worth more" if it is complete. But apparently some greedy ####weeds hope to create a bidding war by splitting things up. 

You'll probably find the box for sale elsewhere in his lots.

I've seen some dealers remove lights, magnetos, tool kits etc from vintage bikes in auctions and sell as seperate lots. It's not long before nobody but newbies and folk with more money than sense will deal with them.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

“Decent, not sure about mechanism”

As he's obviously got the missiles why doesn't he test the mechanism?

I smell a rattus norvegicus!

Mike.

• Agree 8

6 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Sold as pictures

Given the curious quality of the pictures

image.png.3c8c46ccff299b49a765c46938061987.png

the first of which appears to have the texture of a kitchen paper towel, perhaps what you get IS a set of pictures...

He's selling a Triang Princess too, split into body, tender and chassis, AND a split Dock Authority shunter body and chassis.   I'm surprised he's not selling the pair of ladies shoes individually as left and right...

• Agree 4
  • Funny 7

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Given the curious quality of the pictures

image.png.3c8c46ccff299b49a765c46938061987.png

the first of which appears to have the texture of a kitchen paper towel, perhaps what you get IS a set of pictures...

He's selling a Triang Princess too, split into body, tender and chassis, AND a split Dock Authority shunter body and chassis.   I'm surprised he's not selling the pair of ladies shoes individually as left and right...

Thinks he's being a smart a***? Sellers have the advantage - they can dismantle models and sell one piece at a time. The buyer's only options are to stump up the dosh or just walk away - and not make a fuss on SM?

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

...and the ones doing the breaking up and selling as individual parts are usually the ones who refuse to do combined postage so if you did purchase the individual segments of the same loco, its a lump of postage for each lot, usually overcharged too.  :mad_mini:

• Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

...and the ones doing the breaking up and selling as individual parts are usually the ones who refuse to do combined postage so if you did purchase the individual segments of the same loco, its a lump of postage for each lot, usually overcharged too.  :mad_mini:

I've been caught by this postage for each item trick when everything arrives in one package. I will never buy anything from that seller again but I wonder if its possible to bring a complaint about the practice to E-bay or Pay-pal.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

They get a percentage off all postage charges so I would reckon, highly unlikely.  The more postage a seller charges, the more money Ebay makes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

If they say that they offer combined postage, then no problem.

If there's no mention of it, then a quick pre-bid question can solicit the answer.

If they then reply with no combined postage (or don't reply), then I don't bid - simples.

If they don't mention it and then don't offer it after multiple wins, then I'm afraid it's caveat emptor

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1