EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, newbryford said:

If they say that they offer combined postage, then no problem.

If there's no mention of it, then a quick pre-bid question can solicit the answer.

If they then reply with no combined postage (or don't reply), then I don't bid - simples.

A seller I had often bought from has been a dealer in second hand model trains for at least thirty years, he used to have a shop but now he is retired and sells on eBay.  He offers combined postage.    I bought two items at the same time, postage on each was £3.   I requested the combined postage which he offered.   He charged the full £6 but combined the two items in the one Hermes package.    That extra Hornby wagon which I thought I was getting for £6.99 ended up costing £9.99.    Sellers offering combined postage on eBay only means they are willing to post more than one item in the same package and apparently doesn't bind them to pass on any of their savings on postal costs to the buyer.     In my personal opinion though, I did feel that his offer of combined postage in his listings was rather misleading so I no longer buy from this seller.

Edited by cessna152towser
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

11 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Wish I had a pound for every motorcycle or car that I have been to look at where the owner says something along the lines of: " I can't show it you running, there's no petrol in it / the battery's flat / I didn't have time... But it runs like a watch!" 

Or: "I've been told that the registration number is worth at least a grand... I haven't got a modern log book and no MOT but this bloke I know says there's a way around it... "

#@£&€¥$s...

"Oh, that's a pity, i would have paid the asking price. Never mind, goodbye." Suddenly, it might start, it has a bit of petrol, can you give me 5 mins? Yes i can,but times ticking and the price is going down. "I have other people interested!" Yeah, but they are not here are they... "Thanks, I'm going to look at another,cheaper model a little further away",.......tick tock, tick tock.....  :mellow::P

• Like 8

There's a lot of sellers who think that if you have come 200 miles with a trailer and cash you won't want to leave empty handed when the vehicle in question is a misdescribed POS.

Wrong!

There's the people who have sold the impossible to find make or break components to the last person to have a look at the vehicle and can't accept that they have just turned their restoration project into a parts donor worth about half what they are asking.

There's the bloke who gets you to travel by saying that it's all original, then claims that he was going to build a "custom job" and isn't bothered about originality, unless of course you're talking about the price of an original.

Then there's the blackmail - If nobody buys it by the end of the week for my inflated price, it's getting scrapped.

Your loss, stupid.

There's dozens more examples I don't want to bore you with and you would think, wouldn't you... That eBay put an end to this kind of thing?

Nope, in some ways it helps these idiots. 

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cessna152towser said:

A seller I had often bought from has been a dealer in second hand model trains for at least thirty years, he used to have a shop but now he is retired and sells on eBay.  He offers combined postage.    I bought two items at the same time, postage on each was £3.   I requested the combined postage which he offered.   He charged the full £6 but combined the two items in the one Hermes package.    That extra Hornby wagon which I thought I was getting for £6.99 ended up costing £9.99.    Sellers offering combined postage on eBay only means they are willing to post more than one item in the same package and apparently doesn't bind them to pass on any of their savings on postal costs to the buyer.     In my personal opinion though, I did feel that his offer of combined postage in his listings was rather misleading so I no longer buy from this seller.

I would have gone back and asked him for a postage discount/refund. If not, then the feedback given will reflect it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I recognise that one. My inner cynic says if the buyer pulls up the seller about the overcharged postage, the seller apologises, genuine mistake, been very busy, mother / wife / dog / goldfish died etc and refunds the £3.

But for everyone who does that, there will be a dozen who can't be bothered (it's only £3 etc.) and those £3's soon add up.

On the flip side, I have ordered multiple items from individuals and major model shops whilst not paying attention (which is how some people profit from the above) and I get a message saying that I have received a partial refund for overpaid postage.

So it's not all bad.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, newbryford said:

I would have gone back and asked him for a postage discount/refund. If not, then the feedback given will reflect it.

That was duly done.   I gave positives on both items with a curt "Item arrived safely" and marked him down on postage charges to 3 out of 5 stars.

Edited by cessna152towser
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

On the flip side, I have ordered multiple items from individuals and major model shops whilst not paying attention (which is how some people profit from the above) and I get a message saying that I have received a partial refund for overpaid postage.

This is also true.   Only today there's a £2.24 refund into my Paypal account, an unexpected bonus from a seller who said postage cost less than he had expected.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Premium

Normally neither would I but I have an excitable soon to be five year old who wants his Gordon repaired and has sent it to my workbench!!!

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Normally neither would I but I have an excitable soon to be five year old who wants his Gordon repaired and has sent it to my workbench!!!

Hopefully you won't need to buy any model specific spare parts, (unless you win the lottery) otherwise you may have to start an eBay search for "Tri-ang Princess chassis" or similar!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Just don't worry yourself looking for Murdoch

Or Spencer, or Emily.

Of the trio above James is the most prized, according to the prices demanded by ebay sellers.  Up to very recently, Edward was being flogged off, brand new, by various retailers for under £50.

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

42 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Just don't worry yourself looking for Murdoch

Has the A Team busted him out of yet another secure mental hospital?

He'll be somewhere firing cabbages at a South American dictator I imagine...

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Forty sheets plus postage for five old bits of wood with some N scale track glued to them?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Job-lot-of-five-N-Gauge-Mahogany-Oak-locomotive-Display-Plinths-Maurice-Hopper/313482763657?hash=item48fd075d89:g:jcoAAOSwCUpgYu9Y

Mentions in the description they have a ballast inlay to the track.  Must be that fancy new fangled transparent ballast then as I can't see any....

EDIT

Ah, but for another tenner or so you can have another seven bits of old wood that do have the ballast in it:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Job-lot-of-Seven-N-Gauge-Mahogany-locomotive-Display-Plinths-by-Maurice-Hopper/313482761151?hash=item48fd0753bf:g:-T4AAOSw0iFgYu3t

Easy pass.....

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Forty sheets plus postage for five old bits of wood with some N scale track glued to them?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Job-lot-of-five-N-Gauge-Mahogany-Oak-locomotive-Display-Plinths-Maurice-Hopper/313482763657?hash=item48fd075d89:g:jcoAAOSwCUpgYu9Y

Mentions in the description they have a ballast inlay to the track.  Must be that fancy new fangled transparent ballast then as I can't see any....

EDIT

Ah, but for another tenner or so you can have another seven bits of old wood that do have the ballast in it:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Job-lot-of-Seven-N-Gauge-Mahogany-locomotive-Display-Plinths-by-Maurice-Hopper/313482761151?hash=item48fd0753bf:g:-T4AAOSw0iFgYu3t

Easy pass.....

Maurice Hopper - makes them 'Designer' and posh! :o 

• Funny 2

I’ll have to have some “designer” labels printed! :)

Ruff Craft

Craftwork by Ruffnut Thorston 

Not to be confused with Kraftwerk....;):D

Would Maurice have other family members, possibly named Ballast, Coal, and Iron Ore?

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Added afterthought...and another...
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

20 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Maurice Hopper - makes them 'Designer' and posh! :o 

I think that they would need to have been painted by Edward Hopper to be worth that much.... 

Seriously though. If each one took you two hours to make ( allowing for varnish and ballasting, even if the material was free) and 7 cost £48 that makes each one just under £7.

Are you going to work for £3.50 an hour? I sure as hell wouldn't!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, John M Upton said:

snip

Easy pass.....

Looks like that one comes with a £21.50 price label from the Model Shop, Exeter - clearly worth £26.50!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

11 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I think that they would need to have been painted by Edward Hopper to be worth that much.... 

Seriously though. If each one took you two hours to make ( allowing for varnish and ballasting, even if the material was free) and 7 cost £48 that makes each one just under £7.

Are you going to work for £3.50 an hour? I sure as hell wouldn't!

And just think how much they would charge if the track wasn't wonky!

• Funny 3