EBay madness

Marcyg

Amazed to hear that its got working doors, as I can only see one. No ramps to make the door work?  Hmmm. And even if it were a sticky finger, 55p would be economy, but £5.50 would be taking the pizz...

As for the "vintage rare" engine (amazing that 1973 is now vintage...), someone ought to tell the seller that the box has got to be in good nick too, a wipe over the loco with Mr Sheen ain't going to help!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Peter-C said:

I can only assume that someone's entered the postage wrong...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Triang-OO-Gauge-Royal-Mail-Parcel-Van-Wagon-Train-Set-R119-Working-Doors/144002056562?hash=item2187310172:g:Qg4AAOSwF8Zgbwwd

Price: £7.99

Postage: £550!

So it's being posted from the UK, to the UK... I'm not sure one of those coaches is worth "insuring", whatever that means, or £550 postage unless it's been filled with lead weights!

-Peter

EDIT: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Rare-R455-Tri-ang-Hornby-0-4-0-Industrial-Tank-Locomotive-25550/393235714988?hash=item5b8eacd3ac:g:XQcAAOSwj05gbIcP seems to be a bit steep too... ;)

It's packed with 4mm scale Registered Post! There could be a tiny fortune in there! :secret:

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

"... a slight scratch on the front"

"Barely used"? Looks like the chimney got broken and had to be glued back on?

The Airfix/ GMR/ Mainline/ Dapol/ Hornby 14xx Body to Chassis securing screw uses the chimney as a “washer”. The chimney comes out of the base, which is moulded as a part of the smoke box...so, yes, you can see the join...;)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

The Airfix/ GMR/ Mainline/ Dapol/ Hornby 14xx Body to Chassis securing screw uses the chimney as a “washer”. The chimney comes out of the base, which is moulded as a part of the smoke box...so, yes, you can see the join...;)

But should you see the join to this extent?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Amazed to hear that its got working doors, as I can only see one. No ramps to make the door work?  Hmmm. And even if it were a sticky finger, 55p would be economy, but £5.50 would be taking the pizz...

As for the "vintage rare" engine (amazing that 1973 is now vintage...), someone ought to tell the seller that the box has got to be in good nick too, a wipe over the loco with Mr Sheen ain't going to help!

The Tri-ang based TPO vehicles have the pick up on the correct side, but eject the plastic mail bags from the other side...so, yes, there is only one door on each side.

The doors are operated by ramps that fit to straight sections of track. The pick up and set down apparatus also fits to the track.

This model is a late version, in BR livery, of the former T.C. Transcontinental Series model...Hornby Railways times...

The Red Nellie with a silver Lord of The Isles derived dome, and a Margate telephone number on the tank sides was packed in 1974...on the 5th of February.

It was a Tuesday! ;)

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Added date for the red Nellie...
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

The Red Nellie with a silver Lord of The Isles derived dome, and a Margate telephone number on the tank sides was packed in 1974...on the 5th of February.

It was a Tuesday! ;)

Would be a nice companion for Lord Westwood  -  but not at that price.  £4.50 maybe?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MattA said:

I actually quite like that so have sent a more this-planet offer price with a note asking if the buy it now is a typo. Always had a soft spot for Mavis :)

20200805_134442.jpg.18aeca7de6acf882bd9dc5253bfb6b2c.jpg

• Like 7

On 06/04/2021 at 00:18, MrWolf said:

Wish I had a pound for every motorcycle or car that I have been to look at where the owner says something along the lines of: " I can't show it you running, there's no petrol in it / the battery's flat / I didn't have time... But it runs like a watch!" 

Or: "I've been told that the registration number is worth at least a grand... I haven't got a modern log book and no MOT but this bloke I know says there's a way around it... "

#@£&€¥$s...

Hmmm...truly a case of caveat emptor!!

(And bid accordingly....) 

• Agree 3

On 09/04/2021 at 10:34, MrWolf said:

Barely used. Taken from the box, dropped out of 2nd floor window, put back in box....

26 minutes ago, MartinWales said:

And stamped upon!

And kept in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard‘?

Edited by Hroth
misc punctuation
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

4 hours ago, MattA said:

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

I actually quite like that so have sent a more this-planet offer price with a note asking if the buy it now is a typo. Always had a soft spot for Mavis :)

20200805_134442.jpg.18aeca7de6acf882bd9dc5253bfb6b2c.jpg

At least the real thing doesn't have those disturbing swivelling "eagle eyes"!

Meanwhile you can get Mavis direct from the good old USA for $106*, inc shipping...

* Approx £77.33 at todays tourist rates. If Mavis is that rare, it might be worth snapping a few up.  :crazy:

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Hi, I know that this thread is mainly about the madness of some ebay sellers but how about the madness of ebay itself?

Having received a 'Final Warning' email (somewhat threatening) re updating my payment methods I wasted an hour on their chat line yesterday trying to understand. Apparently ebay are 'moving away' from Paypal.so they now need our bank a/c details to make payments to/ from. Given that I don't trust their security, no way am I giving them my main bank a/c details. so looks as if I have 2 options:

1. Close my ebay a/c. What other auction sites are there out there please?
  2. Set up a separate bank a/c just for ebay

I tried to explain that if Tesco changed their system so that customers had to open a separate bank a/c they would soon go out of business. I think the individual agreed, she was quiet for a few min, however could provide no alternative.

Your thoughts please 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

And kept in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard‘?

Alongside plans for a bypass one presumes ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Canal Digger said:

What other auction sites are there out there please?

There's ebid. 

There's nothing in principle to stop somebody else setting up an auction site in direct competition with ebay.  It could undercut their fees and need not be as badly run, so could prove successful.  However, the problem is that nobody searches auctions sites they've never heard of.  So stuff fails to sell or fails reach a fair price, with the result that Ebay remains to all intents and purposes an unregulated monopoly which is free to abuse its position.:angry:  

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Canal Digger said:

Having received a 'Final Warning' email (somewhat threatening) re updating my payment methods I wasted an hour on their chat line yesterday trying to understand. Apparently ebay are 'moving away' from Paypal.so they now need our bank a/c details to make payments to/ from. Given that I don't trust their security, no way am I giving them my main bank a/c details. so looks as if I have 2 options:

1. Close my ebay a/c. What other auction sites are there out there please?
  2. Set up a separate bank a/c just for ebay

There has been some discussion of this on the eBay Annoyances thread.     I also received the "Final Warning" yesterday.   A third option, which I have chosen, is to stop selling on eBay but keep my eBay username open for occasional purchases. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2