EBay madness

Marcyg

22 hours ago, Hroth said:

Amazed to hear that its got working doors, as I can only see one. No ramps to make the door work?  Hmmm. And even if it were a sticky finger, 55p would be economy, but £5.50 would be taking the pizz...

As for the "vintage rare" engine (amazing that 1973 is now vintage...), someone ought to tell the seller that the box has got to be in good nick too, a wipe over the loco with Mr Sheen ain't going to help!

I've got a small number of Triang items, with their boxes: total price would probably be less than that £75 for the one engine. Madness!

21 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

It's packed with 4mm scale Registered Post! There could be a tiny fortune in there! :secret:

:D

9 hours ago, MattA said:

Goodness - no wonder the Fat Controller had so many steam engines if diesels were going for that price... ;)

-Peter

• Like 5

• Like 4

4 hours ago, cessna152towser said:

There has been some discussion of this on the eBay Annoyances thread.     I also received the "Final Warning" yesterday.   A third option, which I have chosen, is to stop selling on eBay but keep my eBay username open for occasional purchases. 

thanks, will look there

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Well, they are complimentary.

Mike.

I hope that they give you your own packet of peanuts.

Communal bowls of free food are to be avoided. Only takes one person who doesn't wash his hands after the three pint rush and it's it's no longer KP nuts, it's Dick's Snacks all round....

• Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

18 hours ago, Canal Digger said:

Hi, I know that this thread is mainly about the madness of some ebay sellers but how about the madness of ebay itself?

Having received a 'Final Warning' email (somewhat threatening) re updating my payment methods I wasted an hour on their chat line yesterday trying to understand. Apparently ebay are 'moving away' from Paypal.so they now need our bank a/c details to make payments to/ from. Given that I don't trust their security, no way am I giving them my main bank a/c details. so looks as if I have 2 options:

1. Close my ebay a/c. What other auction sites are there out there please?
  2. Set up a separate bank a/c just for ebay

I tried to explain that if Tesco changed their system so that customers had to open a separate bank a/c they would soon go out of business. I think the individual agreed, she was quiet for a few min, however could provide no alternative.

Your thoughts please 

I suppose it depends on how much you use E Bay. If you're a heavy user then you may need a separate account. 

Personally I'de tell them to take a long walk off a short pier but thats just me. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Well, they are complimentary.

Mike.

If you've got to that part of the evening when even the bar snacks are trying to chat you up....

56 minutes ago, MartinWales said:

Two pints of lager and a packet of crisps please......:P

Thats a bit splodgy, though I've heard that there's a lot of it about!

23 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Aren't we supposed to put a paper bag over our head or something? :D

If you like, yes.  Perhaps you could lie down...

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

There's ebid. 

There's nothing in principle to stop somebody else setting up an auction site in direct competition with ebay.  It could undercut their fees and need not be as badly run, so could prove successful.  However, the problem is that nobody searches auctions sites they've never heard of.  So stuff fails to sell or fails reach a fair price, with the result that Ebay remains to all intents and purposes an unregulated monopoly which is free to abuse its position.:angry:  

Unfortunately ebay used the get big fast business model as did Amazon and Facebook (probably others as well).  Not only is it very difficult for new entrants to gain a decent market share, if they do get any size at all the larger company can pay over the odds to gobble them up and retain the status quo (eg when Facebook started losing market share to WhatsApp).

• Agree 4

Yet another over-priced engine? I think so... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-Triang-Stephensons-Rocket-in-L-MR-Yellow/114746830691?hash=item1ab771af63%3Ag%3AgJUAAOSwywxgYzGC&LH_BIN=1

Triang Rocket - £295.00. I'm fairly sure the new Hornby one was less than that, and was a better representation of the engine?

-Peter

EDIT: And to continue the Thomas theme: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Daisy-the-Diesel-Railcar-Thomas-The-Tank-Engine-Custom-Built-Model-Triang-Hornby/363342753020?hash=item5498ea6cfc%3Ag%3AOJwAAOSwjSFgZjgU&LH_BIN=1

£160 for a Class 121 made from Triang Class 101 parts (and you also get a face stuck on for good measure). TOC listed as "The Fat Controller's Railway".

Edited by Peter-C
Added another eBay listing.
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Peter-C said:

Yet another over-priced engine? I think so... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-Triang-Stephensons-Rocket-in-L-MR-Yellow/114746830691?hash=item1ab771af63%3Ag%3AgJUAAOSwywxgYzGC&LH_BIN=1

Triang Rocket - £295.00. I'm fairly sure the new Hornby one was less than that, and was a better representation of the engine?

-Peter

Hardly a surprise from that seller.

Rocket Railways has appeared many times in these pages.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Hardly a surprise from that seller.

Rocket Railways has appeared many times in these pages.....

I've noticed there are quite a few overpriced items on there. There's also another seller who's gone through and taken apart engines into their constituent parts, to then sell each bit for at least £15...

-Peter

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Trainshed Terry said:

Only with an awful lot of stereotypes.

1. Some people have an awful lot of disposable income from well paid jobs.

2. Some people have very small living expenses having never flown the nest.

3. Some people have no other interests or responsibilities.

4. Some do not have and never have had a significant other.

5. Some people don't get out very much.

Probably a combination of all five possibilities.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 3

6 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Some people just have to win an item, too!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Or someone's left their 5-year old with their ebay account live................

• Funny 7