EBay madness

Marcyg

2 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

"Watching" it on ebay, out of morbid curiosity!

Slap a "cab" on the chewed damaged end, glue on some cogs (Hornby/Bassett-Lowke sell suitable packaged ones), and paint it black.  Voila! A steam-punk fireless loco!

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I would say most likely a rodent, Dogs teeth are too big to chew so tidily...

Our old, no longer with us, dog bit into the box  containing a Lima CCT...

We still have it. The polystyrene insert with the bite marks, and the roof of the CCT repaired, and repainted. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Hroth said:

Slap a "cab" on the chewed damaged end, glue on some cogs (Hornby/Bassett-Lowke sell suitable packaged ones), and paint it black.  Voila! A steam-punk fireless loco!

Best thrown in the fire, I think!:scratchhead::blink:

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

44 minutes ago, MartinWales said:

Best thrown in the fire, I think!:scratchhead::blink:

Where's the fun in that?

Actually....

I could get a Dapol pug kit for an appropriate cab, I've got an old clock that can be dismantled for cogs, I'm sure I have a similar tank wagon*....   :crazy:

* Though not gnawed....

Edited by Hroth
Expansive working...
  • Funny 3

On the subject of 'slightly' inaccurate descriptions, I have just seen this gem:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Model-KT-Silver-Jubilee-Routemaster-Die-Cast-Single-Decker-Bus-In-N-Gauge/124685765353?hash=item1d07d9cae9:g:EyMAAOSwa0pgeKaJ

In addition, in the description, apart from the fact that the seller has forgotten most of the punctuation, I wonder if a completely wrong description counts as 'being barred for life if sent back for No good reason'!

Richard

• Like 3

An amusing little trifle!!!

At least

Die Cast Single Decker Bus In N Gauge

was correct...   As "photo part of the description" isn't mentioned and it was bought as a Silver Jubilee Routemaster (though you'd have to be bonkers if you thought it was*), then returning it as Not As Described would be a Good reason!

Nice catch!

* Or buying it as a prezzie for someone?

Edited by Hroth
de-negating absent sellers clause...
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

What do we make of this pile?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-huge-job-lot-bundle-Vintage-collectors-rare-Hornby-carriages/133732976668?hash=item1f231b481c:g:QHUAAOSwMFFgfJwK

£200 for a job lot of not a lot (the cement wagons maybe of interest) but the first picture is erm, awful!

The same seller also has job lots of old maroon Hornby coaches for a hundred sheets a pop too...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-huge-job-lot-bundle-Vintage-collectors-rare-Hornby-carriages/133732976668?hash=item1f231b481c:g:QHUAAOSwMFFgfJwK

£200 for a job lot of not a lot (the cement wagons maybe of interest) but the first picture is erm, awful!

The same seller also has job lots of old maroon Hornby coaches for a hundred sheets a pop too...

£200 - nope, but if I was "trading" I might arrive at £125 for that lot.  What I always wonder about such listings is, why include a photograph of them piled carelessly in a box (and make it your main photo)?  Is that what the £25 P&P charge pays for?

Also, why do photos of the same coaches appear in three other of their listings?  They appear to be listing the same lot three times.

I won't even start on why a Lima Plymouth in a Bachmann box is called a Hornby Locomotive Hornby.........

Edited by Northmoor
Extra text
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3

The seller has a potential problem...

The same coaches are listed 5 times, plus the bulk box new listing, making 6 times. The repainted Mk2 coaches, with the BR early loco crest included.

The wagons, with the Possible Britain’s conveyor elevator, are also listed separately from the bulk box. But only once...

Apart from the bulk box, which is BIN, the other listings are auctions, with a pretty high start price...

If the listings were at sensible prices, there would be potential to “sell” the same stuff more than once...possibly leading to the cancellation of bids...

A Rare Lima “sand “ coloured 31...do they have 2, or is it the same one, listed twice?

There are also three listings for a jacket...and two for a ladies gillet.

I am not experiencing a great deal of confidence in this seller...

Bachmann on the box....nah, it’s Hornby, or Horby...

The listings for “train locomotive coach” can possibly be explained by the old Exley metal coach body, with a Lima Bo Bo chassis inserted inside! ;)

This is a good example of a lot off stuff being sold by someone who is not exactly an expert on what they are selling...

A shame, as there is some good stuff lurking in there.

It would sell if more reasonable prices were offered, to someone to sort it out...

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, John M Upton said:

"I also dont know anything about trains but Im happy to help anyway I can"

You could help by not selling a boxfull of crap at stupid prices, and then listing items from it more than once, that would be a good start.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 2

Having worked out that you could get at least ten quid a pop for individually sold coaches, the idea was probably to put the lot together with some other oddities and £200 wouldn't seem too bad. Neither would the £25 delivery charge...  :scratchhead:

Don't think I'll bother, thanks. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, John M Upton said:

He has four auction lots which seem to have the same coaches two with just coaches for £100 and this lot for £200 the other lot has the wagons,which appear the same as the £200 lot for £50  ???????

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, CHAZ D said:

He has four auction lots which seem to have the same coaches two with just coaches for £100 and this lot for £200 the other lot has the wagons,which appear the same as the £200 lot for £50  ???????

I wish I had the money to waste and put a massive bid in for all of the lots individually and, when winning them, see what chaos that would cause!

Mike.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

11 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Don't forget we are always supposed to be be supportive and positive on SM! So: "That's lovely, dear!" :yahoo_mini: 

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I wish I had the money to waste and put a massive bid in for all of the lots individually and, when winning them, see what chaos that would cause!

Mike.

Leave it for a couple of days  and then cancel the bid(s)?

• RMweb Premium

He also has this "Hornby Finecast" wreck, yours for a hundred sheets:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-fine-cast-locomotive-Hornby/133731827284?hash=item1f2309be54:g:wFEAAOSwq3pge0wm

That was probably someone's pride and joy kit built model forty years ago but looks like it has been dropped and or run over by a bus...

2 hours ago, John M Upton said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-fine-cast-locomotive-Hornby/133731827284?hash=item1f2309be54:g:wFEAAOSwq3pge0wm

That was probably someone's pride and joy kit built model forty years ago but looks like it has been dropped and or run over by a bus...

"I also dont (sic) know anything about trains but Im (sic) happy to help anyway I can." So, it's pointless asking?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, CHAZ D said:

Funny how all his stuff is RARE!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, John M Upton said:

But this one is rare.

It's the version where the cab roof can

be removed for fine weather running. :)

• Funny 4