EBay madness

Marcyg

Maybe Palitoy had the bits made in China then assembled them in Coalville, England?

To be fair, if this is someone who isn't a railway modeller, they might have searched Cookham Manor on eBay and having found one, simply clicked "Sell one like this". It's easy to copy someone else's mistake / fib.

Of course, if it's a dealer, then they're up for the Shullbitter prize for fictional literature....

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

19 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Maybe Palitoy had the bits made in China then assembled them in Coalville, England?

To be fair, if this is someone who isn't a railway modeller, they might have searched Cookham Manor on eBay and having found one, simply clicked "Sell one like this". It's easy to copy someone else's mistake / fib.

Of course, if it's a dealer, then they're up for the Shullbitter prize for fictional literature....

I wonder how many model railway newbies - who don't know what to look for - buy a loco from ebay described as 'kit built', in good faith, and receive a factory plastic model?

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

17 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I wonder how many model railway newbies - who don't know what to look for - buy a loco from ebay described as 'kit built', in good faith, and receive a factory plastic model?

One would be one too many.

• Agree 4

11 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

@SteveyDee68

You may just want to edit your post....”sir” is not really the correct form of address for myself....;) :D

:spruceup:

Oh...how do you get that @ thing...oh I think I may have just found out...type @ and the user name, and a drop down box appears! :D

I’ve been wondering how to do that for ages! :scratchhead:

Ahem...

As a huge fan of How To Train Your Dragon (and having arranged a suite of music from the film for both concert band and massed band) I can only apologise profusely...

I can only blame being completely off my face on meds for toothache/abscess/tooth extraction for my brain not registering the difference between Ruffnut and Tuffnut!

To refer to you as our own Miss Marple or Vera doesn't feel terribly complimentary given their character age vs your avatar/user name, so I shall simply say you are our own Miss Eliza Scarlet and let others do the investigative work and decide if that is a compliment!*

Steve S

* It is meant to be!!

Edited by SteveyDee68
o for i ! Replaced mysteriously disappearing name!
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Ahem...

As a huge fan of How To Train Your Dragon (and having arranged a suite of music from the film for both concert band and massed band) I can only apologise profusely...

I can only blame being completely off my face on meds for toothache/abscess/tooth extraction for my brain not registering the difference between Ruffnut and

To refer to you as our own Miss Marple or Vera doesn't feel terribly complimentary given their character age vs your avatar/user name, so I shall simply say you are our own Miss Eliza Scarlet and let others do the investigative work and decide if that is a compliment!*

Steve S

* It is meant to be!!

Or perhaps, Cordelia Gray?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Or perhaps, Cordelia Gray?

Wow! I thought I was a tad obscure! :lol:

Steve S

Update:

Quick bit of research - 1972, M R James character, not obscure after all, just me!!

Edited by SteveyDee68
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

9 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Well, somebody assembled it in Hong Kong (I believe Mainline models were originally made there...).

But I do think that somebody else has taken the loco apart, and reassembled it.

The coupling rods, connecting rods, and cross head are on upside down, and on the wrong side.

The linkage for the GWR trademark cross head driven vacuum brake pump should be on the right, or Starboard, side.

From what I know of these models, the entire driving wheel and rods assembly has been put in back to front...

The Tri-ang Railways Loco Crew fitted does have the driver on the correct, right hand, side.

You are allowed up to 12 photos, without extra charge. It’s a shame that some sellers cannot be bothered to use their allowance.

In this case, there is no illustration of the Starboard side at all. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Round of applause 1

@SteveyDee68

Wow....another HTTYD fan...:)

I am really ‘into’ the music too. It’s stirring stuff, inspiring, and good to listen to when out on a walk.

You are not the first to get Me and Tuff confused, believe me! :D

Though not identical twins (not possible, there is a big difference between us ;) ) we are fraternal twins...and there are, it seems, some similarities...but I’ve got the brains. :D

That’s one of the problems, sharing a womb, and everything since...everything is ours...almost nothing is purely mine...

It is no wonder that we fight. 

IMG_0522.PNG.391028171ac863d7cf0fccea9f24919d.PNG

I do appreciate the options, Miss Scarlet is a good match,

B2F2F139-4E55-4329-8708-D25B2B553B96.jpeg.561db602cd62d172e4fd3bcf2cbacfd8.jpeg

as is Cordelia Grey, going by the illustration on Wikipedia...

4CB0CA78-5380-4CA0-9E91-1FDAC4933FE5.gif.83072ff3f422cd9aa127bd896841950a.gif

Thank you and Paul...all very good. :)

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Added images
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1

12 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Wow....another HTTYD fan...:)

I am really ‘into’ the music too. It’s stirring stuff, inspiring, and good to listen to when out on a walk.

Soundtrack nominated for an Oscar, but lost out to "The Social Network" (robbed, actually, as many, many musicians would agree!)

Being a nerdy musician, I managed to get hold of the original music cues for the film off the internet (don't ask me no questions, I won't tell you no lies!) so was fascinated to discover that the original opening music was different, and that other music was subtly reorganised to fit better with the film.

Of course, the biggest surprise was that there was no music there for Forbidden Friendship - when I arranged a selection of music, I had half a dozen percussionists available so absolutely had to include that, which meant notating it all down by ear from the recording! Now, I think that qualifies me as being a super fan of the HTTYD music by John Powell!

Read a couple of the original books by Cressida Crowell too, but have to admit that I prefer the Dreamworks version of the HTTYD world!

To bring this totally off-topic thread back to something resembling RMWeb normality, Hiccup's mechanical ingenuity must surely be able to spawn a HTTYD-inspired steampunk Gn15 layout with steam trains, Vikings and dragons?

Mind you, HTTYD merchandise can go for silly prices on eBay, too!

Phew! Got my post back on topic!!

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
Typo - one I missed on proofreading!!
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Hey! Give him a break! It's a long way to Snowdonia!

Hold it right there!!!

According to the BBC, the place is going to get the Uluru treatment so it may well be that in future you would have to say

It's a long way to Eryri

and of course, you would walk up Yr Wyddfa.

I can appreciate why some people would want name changes, but part of me wants to observe that linguistic tongue-twisters* are one way to sort out the locals from visitors...

Now back to normal service....

7 hours ago, NickL2008 said:

7 hours ago, 33C said:

It's a bit too clean........:P

6 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Looks a bit filthy! It needs its Aunt, with a lick-moistened hanky, to clean it up a bit!?

30 minutes ago, MartynJPearson said:

In all fairness, it probably looks good from a distance. About a mile or so.

Looks like an engine room fire to me...

2 weeks in a dettol bath should sort it out!

* Let me lodge Pontcysyllte Aqueduct here for reference...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MartynJPearson said:

In all fairness, it probably looks good from a distance. About a mile or so.

Should clean up OK or could be improved on.  There's considerably worse "Professional Weathering" being sold on eBay where the seller seems to bill their time at about £900/hr.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

8 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

I am totally failing to see the treasure worth the bid price here.:sorry_mini:

I can only see one motorised loco, and two Kitmaster/ Airfix locos....

Is the little red one clockwork or electric? The other two are obviously CoT and Std 4 Mogul plastic kits.  Hornby is pushing it as a description, so much triang track and buildings.

Perhaps they think the steel track has some sort of scrap value? :scratchhead::jester:

The vendor has some other curiosities too.  East German uniform and Wehrmacht style sentry box...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1