EBay madness

Marcyg

The red loco is, in theory, electric. Provided it still has its motor...

It still has the plug in smoke box door...so that’s quite rare.

These International locos have the R. Number as the running number...and were only ever made as electric models.

There were named versions too, such as Bulldog.

Not quite so widely liveried as the 101 type...

Here is a black version...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313502767216?hash=item48fe389870:g:uogAAOSwhqxggUsI

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Added link to black loco
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

There seem to be a lot of these dusty barn/attic finds turning up lately (reflects a large proportion of the elderly section of society having passed on sadly) which seem to vary from the badly presented overly optimistically priced pile in a box to the cheap start few treasures amongst the scrap type of sales.

I am pretty much guessing a lot of these are being snapped up by so-called dealers who will part them out again into smaller lots at vastly inflated prices.

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265129545125?hash=item3dbaf3cda5:g:PSYAAOSw-oZgZwF

I am totally failing to see the treasure worth the bid price here.:sorry_mini:

That's a R@RE plain brown banana box on the right, only made for a short period of time when the factory ran out of green paint, so worth the bid on it's own.

Mike.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

23 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

That's a R@RE plain brown banana box on the right, only made for a short period of time when the factory ran out of green paint, so worth the bid on it's own.

Mike.

But they didn't say L@@K!

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

There seem to be a lot of these dusty barn/attic finds turning up lately (reflects a large proportion of the elderly section of society having passed on sadly) which seem to vary from the badly presented overly optimistically priced pile in a box to the cheap start few treasures amongst the scrap type of sales.

I am pretty much guessing a lot of these are being snapped up by so-called dealers who will part them out again into smaller lots at vastly inflated prices.

'Twas ever thus. 

When I used to buy big job lots to break up/sort out and sell on (and keep at least 25% for my own collection), there were always people who despite the listing clearly being an auction only, would ask "Do you have a Buy it Now price in mind?".  One guy had asked the same question on all my listings one week and appeared to have asked multiple other sellers the same question. 

I did wonder what part of "No, this is an auction, do you see the Buy-it-Now box?" he was struggling to understand.  He clearly just wanted to make people offers of £40 for lots worth £200 and hope people were rushed into selling.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353469335971?hash=item524c6a09a3:g:XcQAAOSwiWhgg-oV

This lot is better, though the presentation could be better...

A good start price too.  

So, not really madness here, unless the bids go crazy....;)

Trouble is, I'm still seeing items that I would expect to wade through in a '50p' box under a trader's table at a show?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

And don't forget: there are people who collect 'rare' boxes! :dancing:

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

'Twas ever thus. 

When I used to buy big job lots to break up/sort out and sell on (and keep at least 25% for my own collection), there were always people who despite the listing clearly being an auction only, would ask "Do you have a Buy it Now price in mind?".  One guy had asked the same question on all my listings one week and appeared to have asked multiple other sellers the same question. 

I did wonder what part of "No, this is an auction, do you see the Buy-it-Now box?" he was struggling to understand.  He clearly just wanted to make people offers of £40 for lots worth £200 and hope people were rushed into selling.

I used to have the same problems with classic car parts. Always turned out to be dealers offering about a quarter of what the item eventually made.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I used to have the same problems with classic car parts. Always turned out to be dealers offering about a quarter of what the item eventually made.

Been there.  The dealers, normally operating out of old Luton vans who always tell you your stuff's not worth anything but, "We'll take it off your hands, if it helps".  Well yes, that would help..... you make more money.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Another one from the 'Throw it in a box' school of selling....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233988303111?hash=item367aca2907:g:KsoAAOSwv59giwgJ

Whilst a couple of items look decent, the large clear plastic box with items just dropped in certainly does not inspire confidence, especially for £400!!!

• Agree 4

24 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Is that 4 oz or 28 lb of sherbet lemons?

When I used to go to Mrs Knight's sweet shop in Milford-on-Sea, Hants, a quarter of sherbet lemons was 4 oz! Had I been presented with 28 lb I would have been very surprised! 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

8 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Whilst a couple of items look decent, the large clear plastic box with items just dropped in certainly does not inspire confidence, especially for £400!!!

Sounds more like a Gold Rush!?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Hasn't anyone told him you can take photos landscape as well or does he think that is only for use outside...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Bill Radford said:

Hasn't anyone told him you can take photos landscape as well or does he think that is only for use outside...

Taken on a mobile, all he had to do was hold it sideways.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, John M Upton said:

I don't think I'd even offer the postage cost for the lot!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

So. To my slight surprise my experiment paid off and multiple listings of the same item guy came through. 22 complete coaches plus two for spares including some nice Chinese Hornby items. 27 wagons including some kit built and three link ones. A few broken bits and a nice but useless to me aggregate sorter belt. 107 including postage!! Result to say the least! 

6EC9D104-6850-418B-943B-5A71AD252001.jpeg

CCE22055-26A5-426D-8520-46AEF64ECA4A.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2