EBay madness

Marcyg

1 hour ago, RFS said:

Amused at this listing of a scrapyard Schools class loco.  Not only is it still in pre-war Southern livery, but it's number 928 which is one of three that has been preserved!

Yeah to be fair he’s not a bad heavy weatherer and some of his items look good. A whole line of them would be a good backdrop. He isn’t prototypically minded though as many of the items are not wearing their ‘death masks’ or did not linger long enough to end up like that. Blue pullmans for example. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RFS said:

Amused at this listing of a scrapyard Schools class loco.  Not only is it still in pre-war Southern livery, but it's number 928 which is one of three that has been preserved!

Nothing quite like attention to detail! Stowe was built in 1934. Begs the question why the Southern would have scrapped such a young loco!?

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

Yeah to be fair he’s not a bad heavy weatherer and some of his items look good. A whole line of them would be a good backdrop. He isn’t prototypically minded though as many of the items are not wearing their ‘death masks’ or did not linger long enough to end up like that. Blue pullmans for example. 

Actually this seller is one of the ones I referred to in an earlier message.  At least they only charge about twice the price of the kits, which is probably quite reasonable for their time to build and weather it (Build = 30 minutes, Weathering = 30 seconds).  This is obviously a non-running Hornby Schools so again, not much profit for their time.

But I'm afraid that is terrible weathering; there is absolutely no prototypical observation gone into it and they apply it to everything they sell.    In fact they have been doing it to the same poor standard for at least five years, so they obviously sell enough to not bother trying any harder. Seriously, anyone on this thread could do better with an assortment of paints and 30 minutes practice.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Actually this seller is one of the ones I referred to in an earlier message.  At least they only charge about twice the price of the kits, which is probably quite reasonable for their time to build and weather it (Build = 30 minutes, Weathering = 30 seconds).  This is obviously a non-running Hornby Schools so again, not much profit for their time.

But I'm afraid that is terrible weathering; there is absolutely no prototypical observation gone into it and they apply it to everything they sell.    In fact they have been doing it to the same poor standard for at least five years, so they obviously sell enough to not bother trying any harder. Seriously, anyone on this thread could do better with an assortment of paints and 30 minutes practice.

Aimed at a market that won't ask the same questions we would ask? 

• Agree 5

45 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Oh I don’t know! This is a pretty good representation of the 45 at the battlefield line lol 

D14C3537-EA85-432E-BC78-11525E20BB70.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

4 hours ago, RFS said:

This appears to be an example from the GBL Collection...as referred to by myself in an earlier posting on here.

:)

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Link added...
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ianmacc said:

Oh I don’t know! This is a pretty good representation of the 45 at the battlefield line lol 

D14C3537-EA85-432E-BC78-11525E20BB70.jpeg

This would be an ex motorised model, the powered bogie being removed, and sold separately....Made by Mainline? Or Bachmann?

I am thinking Mainline myself...:scratchhead:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Northmoor said:

The way most are rusted to my eye  has more in common with burned out cars visually. 

I suspect that the brass Schools nameplates wouldn't have remained on the loco either. They would no doubt have been "liberated".

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

At least the "rusting" tends to be done better than some stuff that appears, depicted as "burnt out" by having a blowtorch waved (presumably briefly) at it. I may not know much about weathering, but I'm pretty certain that wooden brake vans and steel coaches don't go blobby in a fire. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

13 hours ago, RFS said:

He's offering another one too...

He's not really appeared to have looked at "condemned siding" loco photographs, which show uncared for, DIRTY locomotives.  The alleged scrapyard engines* look as they would after a decade or two in somewhere like Barry, with lines of well rusted hulks, not parked in a siding as illustrated!  And how did the Class 45 get into its siding missing a bogie, and how would it be moved out for scrapping? 

* We won't even go into the noted livery faux pas...

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

This would be an ex motorised model, the powered bogie being removed, and sold separately....Made by Mainline? Or Bachmann?

You are unsure and asking a question, wow!!!!!

Mike.

• Funny 5

Give this Guy a break- it's not everybody's cup of tea but ticks many boxes- something to do with spare models that would otherwise sit unused, something different that'll be the talking point of the average train set when visitors come round, and as is evident here- like most exhibition layouts it's inspiration to follow the same theme or do better. What someone does on or with their own train set in a loft isn't my business, unless they're still peddling the notion that running trains on carpet isn't an issue.

I'd agree that the weathering isn't that authentic, but follows what can be seen on preserved railway scraplines up and down the country (with faded paint on a big four livery) more than something that would have happened after the loco was withdrawn from general traffic. It also inspired me to have a go at recreating a certain unmentioned diesel using a GBL model...  

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Northmoor said:

He needs to study the difference between how a steam engine weathers and a diesel... both different 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

11 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

I think it’s replica. Bachmann had twin powered bogies and Mainline didn’t do that nose end variation.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Curiously, given our past discussions re ebay traders dismantling models and selling the component parts, I note a similar activity occurred in "this very boutique", concerning a certain 00 GWR loco body & chassis!

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Curiously, given our past discussions re ebay traders dismantling models and selling the component parts, I note a similar activity occurred in "this very boutique", concerning a certain 00 GWR loco body & chassis!

Did it involve a Norwegian Blue variant? Was it the nails that gave it away?

The trouble is spare parts for some models is drying up and so demand for them goes up. The only way to get said parts is either through reproduction or dismantling "runners". Indeed i wonder if the fact that many of the newer generation of models have specific parts rather than the days of Lima and Hornby where a part would be reused over many models is making this more common and is growing into what is a massive market.

In fact i recently bought 10 Lima 67s which were in a fair to poor state of repair (i do want a few but the seller wanted to sell them as a joblot so it was either all ten or none). I did consider using three of them for parts keeping the two i want, sell the other 5 or 6 as good complete models and sell the others for bits. However having seen what a good Lima 67 sells for compared to spare parts i could sell those 8 split for parts for nearly three times the price i could sell 5 working and 3 odds simply because of the demand so that what I'm going to do after all why on earth would you turn the money for nothing down?

Edited by G-DIMB
Added a bit i forgot to write!
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 01/05/2021 at 17:43, RFS said:

And he sells quite a lot too - here's an LMS Duchess on the scrap line still fully streamlined. Sold for £24.95 ....

On 02/05/2021 at 06:36, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Another GBL based model...No. 2 in the series...:)

It always makes we wonder who would buy these streamliners, as non ever ended up looking like that, the casings were removed long before they were scrapped.

• Agree 4

23 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

And that particular GBL model has also been quite rare.

Well, I never saw one in a shop, and so didn’t get one...

Maybe just as well, as I still have a good few GBL locos in stock for tinkering with, including the usual not finished pile! ;)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1