EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

There is an intriguing selection of Civil Engineers wagons there (plus a few old Hornby VEA vans thrown in to make up the numbers), I would dearly like to know where these came from, particularly the cranes.

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184801403019?ViewItem=&item=

The first photos in the box shew the Princess Elizabeth loco and stock, with the early open loop couplings and the correct instructions book. The out of the box photos shew an instruction book for a R.251 locomotive, and a later Princess Victoria and coaches with the later closed loop couplings.

So, is this two sets?

A lot of good stuff, but some questionable descriptions.

Example, DMU set with pre 1959 couplings described as 1960s! 

The RS7 labels look wrong, usually the lettering is red.

Series 3 set numbers are usually like R3M.

Which is probably the correct number for this set.

http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/r3mset.html

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Correction...
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I think that the vendor has a dustbin full of car boot sale toy cars and a vice...

I dunno. Maybe if they had a proper vice they wouldn't have time to be a serial squasher of toy cars.

• Funny 3

21 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

There is an intriguing selection of Civil Engineers wagons there (plus a few old Hornby VEA vans thrown in to make up the numbers), I would dearly like to know where these came from, particularly the cranes.

I'm not convinced it's all from the same source as there are some inconsistencies. Some of the vehicles have tension lock couplings, whereas others have DGs(?), suggesting that they weren't all intended to run together. Whilst not actually an inconsistency, as such, the JCB on the Lowmac appears to be the old Airfix model, albeit nicely finished and so is probably a bit early to plausibly be still around in the Dutch livery era.

I agree, though. It's surprisingly nice by the seller's typical standards. I still wouldn't pay the thick end of a grand for it, mind. Still, if you wanted all the bits, what would it cost to replicate? Especially if you lacked the skills to detail/paint/modify to the same standard?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

30 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

The out of the box photos shew an instruction book for a R.251 locomotive, and a later Princess Victoria and coaches with the later closed loop couplings.

Loco number in box is 46201, individual shot 46205.

In addition, the tender of the boxed loco has a large section of missing lining, whilst the individual shot shows more complete lining.  It's either two different sets, or the vendor is using stock photos for one or the other.

Or maybe just confused...  :scratchhead:

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PatB said:

I'm not convinced it's all from the same source as there are some inconsistencies. Some of the vehicles have tension lock couplings, whereas others have DGs(?), suggesting that they weren't all intended to run together. Whilst not actually an inconsistency, as such, the JCB on the Lowmac appears to be the old Airfix model, albeit nicely finished and so is probably a bit early to plausibly be still around in the Dutch livery era.

I agree, though. It's surprisingly nice by the seller's typical standards. I still wouldn't pay the thick end of a grand for it, mind. Still, if you wanted all the bits, what would it cost to replicate? Especially if you lacked the skills to detail/paint/modify to the same standard?

It's a set-up - a desperate attempt to get rid of the Ratio not-quite-really Caledonian bogie ore wagon.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373523449466

Another seller who adds the word (LOOK) to the end of most titles.

Perhaps he thinks it's a magical mind control technique that will compel you to buy?

I have the eBay page open on a screen in front of me and sellers feel the need to tell me to LOOK?

What do they think I am doing?

Hang gliding? Playing the bagpipes? Casually snipping out someone's brain tumor with nail clippers?

A lot of the other stuff is "Lineside weathered" 

What does that even mean?

Did anyone ever abandon a DER televisions van at a diesel depot?

From what I remember of them, (Bedford Chevannes) they were kept clean because it was the face of the company visiting customers in their homes.

Peace.

Out.

:)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

I nearly made a bid for that, then I realised the decimal point is neither where I thought it was or should be!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Totally agree on the “look”, why do people even do that?! 

the account is called “lineside and locos”, so I assume he means he weathered the items.  

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

26 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Perhaps he thinks it's a magical mind control technique that will compel you to buy?

Dunno.

I'll look, but I won't BUY!

Anyhow, if you really want an SL-93, then Hattons have more than 10 in stock, they're cheaper and postage is cheaper too!

https://www.hattons.co.uk/7739/peco_products_sl_93_short_crossing_insulfrog/stockdetail.aspx

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Dunno.

I'll look, but I won't BUY!

Anyhow, if you really want an SL-93, then Hattons have more than 10 in stock, they're cheaper and postage is cheaper too!

https://www.hattons.co.uk/7739/peco_products_sl_93_short_crossing_insulfrog/stockdetail.aspx

But, but, but eBay is a bargain marketplace!

Mike.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, njee20 said:

Totally agree on the “look”, why do people even do that?! 

the account is called “lineside and locos”, so I assume he means he weathered the items.  

Recently on this thread I was slagging off constructively criticising "professional" weathering providers on eBay whose work is, in a word,  dreadful.  "Lineside and Locos", has been around a few years and while I still wouldn't buy any of his products, is actually one of the better ones.  There's a lot of additional detail that needs to be done but they are a decent start and the premium over the original loco isn't great.  For someone reluctant to risk ruining their expensive new loco, the product is probably quite good value.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

But, but, but eBay is a bargain marketplace!

Mike.

I was going to say something along those lines...  :crazy:

Given the discussions of the past 1112 pages, I think the conclusion is that the proposition "eBay is a bargain marketplace" merits a QNED*.

* In my best doggy Latin, Quod Non Erat Demonstrandum.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

Can’t knock the quality of the setup. Taken someone a very long time. Sadly under the illusion that hours spent can be recouped in money charged. 

Must say, it looks more like a clearance 'job lot' than a designed wagon & crane set?

• Like 2

On 06/05/2021 at 00:41, Paul H Vigor said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184802287688?hash=item2b07132048:g:mB4AAOSw2m1gkVry

"Non-motorised, numbered one side only. Rolls on track quite well but there is a tight spot. Don't think its insulated, reading across dead track with a multimeter shows 1.6 ohms resistance. Reliably told pro-built. Unboxed"

Yours for £200.00.

Better play it safe and say: "That's lovely. Sounds like a bargain to me!"

Lol! Didn’t even realise I was watching it. 

26272320-83E9-4369-9C7D-6A20DA54B4E9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I have the eBay page open on a screen in front of me and sellers feel the need to tell me to LOOK?

What do they think I am doing?

Hang gliding? Playing the bagpipes? Casually snipping out someone's brain tumor with nail clippers?

Did anyone ever abandon a DER televisions van at a diesel depot?

From what I remember of them, (Bedford Chevannes) they were kept clean because it was the face of the company visiting customers in their homes.

Peace.

Out.

:)

But we;re missing the point, is it R@RE??;)

• Like 2
  • Funny 1