EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
On 08/05/2021 at 12:03, Bucoops said:

"Very good, like new!" New as in just dug out the ground? Missing chimney, two buffers and generally ready to go on a shovel into a firebox.

Going forwards now 'real smokey' household coal is banded is this the way forward... never knew coal came out of the ground looking like that...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ianmacc said:

What a bargain. 

Said nobody. Ever.

E939DB5D-D89C-49FD-951A-225F71333187.jpeg

I dunno though. CI wheel blanks aren't cheap these days. Whether it's worth the price is going to depend on whether what's there is appropriate for the loco you want to build. I can see it being quite reasonable value if you want to build, say, a 4-4-0 tender loco, and then flog off all the surplus castings, ideally in smaller, matching lots. 

Edit: I've just had a look at AJ Reeves' website. Whilst I don't know what gauge the wheels on Ebay are for, if they're for 31/2" gauge (not an unreasonable assumption, given the plethora of 31/2" gauge bits in the world) those driving wheels are easily £35-40 a pop to buy new. I'm having difficulty getting the site to give me results for smaller gauges, but even if G1 (say) bits were half the price, £85 the lot is still not outlandish. 

I can see more and more lots like this coming up in the medium term, as a generation of Myford owners hop the Twig and their estates attempt to monetise a shedfuls of mysterious bits and pieces. 

Edited by PatB
  • Agree 3

On 09/05/2021 at 23:44, Paul H Vigor said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265154610057?hash=item3dbc724389:g:IkgAAOSwy~pgmD9z

Nothing quite like a good selection of photos of a model for sale - taken from all angles!

Also, nothing like a really good, detailed, description.....;)

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Typo
  • Agree 3

On 08/05/2021 at 12:03, Bucoops said:

"Very good, like new!" New as in just dug out the ground? Missing chimney, two buffers and generally ready to go on a shovel into a firebox.

It makes you wonder if these people have heard of the Trades Description Act? This is clearly misrepresentation but hopefully anyone looking at the photo can see what a lemon it is.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, PatB said:

I dunno though. CI wheel blanks aren't cheap these days. Whether it's worth the price is going to depend on whether what's there is appropriate for the loco you want to build. I can see it being quite reasonable value if you want to build, say, a 4-4-0 tender loco, and then flog off all the surplus castings, ideally in smaller, matching lots. 

Edit: I've just had a look at AJ Reeves' website. Whilst I don't know what gauge the wheels on Ebay are for, if they're for 31/2" gauge (not an unreasonable assumption, given the plethora of 31/2" gauge bits in the world) those driving wheels are easily £35-40 a pop to buy new. I'm having difficulty getting the site to give me results for smaller gauges, but even if G1 (say) bits were half the price, £85 the lot is still not outlandish. 

I can see more and more lots like this coming up in the medium term, as a generation of Myford owners hop the Twig and their estates attempt to monetise a shedfuls of mysterious bits and pieces. 

The mystery of 'Grandad's trains'!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, PatB said:

1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

The mystery of 'Grandad's trains'!

And so we come to the problem of writing a list of the items of your collection, with:

• a manufacturers catalogue number where appropriate
  • a complete description including damage or missing parts and if a box exists
  • If a loco, its running qualities
  • How much it cost when new
  • What might be expected if sold on ebay (be realistic!)

Of course, this heart-rending exercise will horrify the compiler as s/he actually tallies up how much stuff they have actually got, how much they have spent over the course of years and how much it is probably worth.

Such a document, of many, many pages will also be lethal if discovered before the compiler has kicked the bucket/ popped their clogs (other items of footwear are available) and their s/o realises how many little white lies have been told about new acquisitions, such as how much that Bachmann Midland Pullman actually cost...

Such a list might help the clueless executors in the disposal of a lifetimes collection of railway bits, but remember, it is also important to include all the bits in the parts boxes, and that box of old Triang and Hornby X04 and tender drive locos that haven't been out and about for decades...

On the other hand, they didn't appreciate your hobby when you were alive so why make it easy for the vultures once you're gone?

:senile:

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Of course, this heart-rending exercise will horrify the compiler as s/he actually tallies up how much stuff they have actually got, how much they have spent over the course of years and how much it is probably worth.

Some years ago on RMWeb there was an excellent discussion on valuing model railway collections.  The biggest problem is just how little so much of it is worth.  Too often there are stories of some old fella who has died, his widow wants the part-finished model railway in the loft/spare room to be dismantled and all the stock sold, apart from a few cherished items.  It's the usual story, "He spent so much time on it and look at everything he bought, it must be worth a lot of money". 

Except it's never a fleet of hand-built DJH locos and Exley coaches, it's usually 1980s Hornby/Lima/Mainline, made by the ship-load and worth very little (which the sellers flagged on this thread clearly don't appreciate) compared to the original cost.  The layout, which is deteriorating by the month, is also worth very little unless you can find someone who happens to have the almost exact same space available and is able to come and dismantle it and take it away. 

Keeping a record for your relatives of what you have is a good idea but unless your collection is genuinely valuable, you are probably best identifying a trader who you would trust to not try and rip off grieving relatives.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Keeping a record for your relatives of what you have is a good idea but unless your collection is genuinely valuable, you are probably best identifying a trader who you would trust to not try and rip off grieving relatives.

And there's the rub, especially when the ebay-savvy amongst them does a quick search and find out how much the other clueless sellers are trying to get, and argue with a decent trader about how much the stuff is worth...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Hroth said:

And there's the rub, especially when the ebay-savvy amongst them does a quick search and find out how much the other clueless sellers are trying to get, and argue with a decent trader about how much the stuff is worth...

Agreed, all the more daft when the "eBay-savvy relative" hasn't bothered to view only Sold Items, not just everything that's been listed.

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

And so we come to the problem of writing a list of the items of your collection, with:

• a manufacturers catalogue number where appropriate
  • a complete description including damage or missing parts and if a box exists
  • If a loco, its running qualities
  • How much it cost when new
  • What might be expected if sold on ebay (be realistic!)

Such a document, of many, many pages will also be lethal if discovered before the compiler has kicked the bucket/ popped their clogs (other items of footwear are available) and their s/o realises how many little white lies have been told about new acquisitions, such as how much that Bachmann Midland Pullman actually cost...

Such a list might help the clueless executors in the disposal of a lifetimes collection of railway bits, but remember, it is also important to include all the bits in the parts boxes, and that box of old Triang and Hornby X04 and tender drive locos that haven't been out and about for decades...

On the other hand, they didn't appreciate your hobby when you were alive so why make it easy for the vultures once you're gone?

:senile:

And the horror when they discover that the actual value of 'Grandad's Trains' pushes the value of the estate beyond the inheritance tax threshold!

• Funny 7

1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

And the horror when they discover that the actual value of 'Grandad's Trains' pushes the value of the estate beyond the inheritance tax threshold!

Nahhhhhh....

THAT happens when an enthusiastic estate agent actually gets more for the house than was advised to HMRC for probate.

• Agree 4
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
On 29/03/2021 at 18:17, Hroth said:

I thought that the green ones had a later number but I couldn't remember what it was, but I could remember that "R.150" was definitely the catalogue number for a B12.  BTW, when did the organisation give up using the dot notation for the catalogue number?

Its what old Lima (Hornby, Airfix, whatever) locos are for!  The GBL series was a fine partwork for providing decoration exercises.

I've got an Airfix 61xx (with a motor that sounds like a coffee grinder) that has a grass flock livery.  There's an artificial lawn company near me that has its vehicles covered in plastic grass, and I thought a loco might look nice decorated in a similar manner...  ( I digress :jester:)

A tenner is about what its worth, to strip the botched paintjob off and try ones own. Its a pity that its a starting price and that you have to add another fiver for delivery!

Why not? A black 5 did appear covered in floral wallpaper for a TV ad. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Hroth said:

Nahhhhhh....

THAT happens when an enthusiastic estate agent actually gets more for the house than was advised to HMRC for probate.

Been there, done that.

Fortunately in our case the difference wasn't that much.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/an2tique/m.html?item=265153903656&hash=item3dbc677c28%3Ag%3AW2oAAOSwKYZgl5HE&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

This seller has a lot of railway stuff, possibly from an estate sale...

There are various kits and parts, and instructions...

If only it had been properly sorted out before listing...

Some good stuff by here! ;)

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Sorted...
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/an2tique/m.html?item=265153903656&hash=item3dbc677c28%3Ag%3AW2oAAOSwKYZgl5HE&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

This seller has a lot of railway stuff, possibly from an estate sale...

There are various kits and parts, and instructions...

If only it had been properly sorted out before listing...

Some good stuff by here! ;)

There is some SUPERB stuff in there, well spotted.  Very low starting prices too, eBay selling the old-fashioned way.

• Agree 4

On 09/05/2021 at 15:50, Northmoor said:

Recently on this thread I was slagging off constructively criticising "professional" weathering providers on eBay whose work is, in a word,  dreadful.  "Lineside and Locos", has been around a few years and while I still wouldn't buy any of his products, is actually one of the better ones.  There's a lot of additional detail that needs to be done but they are a decent start and the premium over the original loco isn't great.  For someone reluctant to risk ruining their expensive new loco, the product is probably quite good value.

The trader wasn't called 'Lineside and Locos' when I was active on Ebay (until 2014). Not so brilliant when he started out but boy was he prolific; I think the models were going straight from their boxes to the airbrush and out the door again. The early efforts were reminiscent of the early Factory weathering where they paint the top grey and the chassis brown and that's about it.

To be fair, with weathering it is difficult (impossible?) to please everyone, as what appears right to one modeller looks wrong to another. I always tried to base my weathering on photos of the originals in service, not always successfully but it kept me busy for a decade or more.

Glenn

• Like 4