EBay madness

Marcyg

1 hour ago, John Besley said:

Its the experimental Psychadelic BR livery from the mid 60s applied to a "model" of a GT3 locomotive...

I can't make my mind up about the model itself. I keep thinking that the best match is a heavily doctored Airfix/Dapol BoB, a Triang B12 chassis and the side mouldings of an Airfix/Dapol City of Truro leading bogie clumsily screwed onto the B12s leading bogie.  However, with the buffer beam damage, and the description of "diecast", it can't be!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_GT3

The real loco looked like this:

image.png.0411144b846857ce96deb56b8f3e0c93.png

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

There are some nutters about!

I think the model is worthy of closer attention. It's just a pity that the builder seems to have lost its way.  The front bogie on the model has a degree of side control, and the wheels are Romfords, so someone has thought about it.  Might be that the builder had a photo, and then lost it.....

12 bids on £23:00, as well.  I'm neither a vendor of bidder in this instance, but I'm naturally interested on the 'take' on the concept.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

It's a model of the little known Bullied Furbomotive. :locomotive:

No it's not, but close. It's the 'Look! RARE!  Bully-eyed Gerto-Motive... Named 'Brightlingsea' due to a slip-up with the postcode. Built from carefully-built components from the embryonic Brightlingsea & Dogger Bank Junction Railway. The engineer, Mr R. Scratcher,  had high hopes for the class. Alas, on its first public outing the locomotive, driven by the engineers cousin, Dick Holdeur, drove the locomotive into the sea.  At the board of enquiry, it was caused by the signalman, Sherbert McGuiness, pulling the wrong lever.  Never mix Strongbow with IPA....

Unperturbed, Mr Scratcher went onwards to his next development, the much-celebrated  A12. The concept showed great promise, but was severely damaged by a refrigerated artic on the Colchester bypass.

It's true, I tell you! All true!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

54 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

No it's not, but close. It's the 'Look! RARE!  Bully-eyed Gerto-Motive... Named 'Brightlingsea' due to a slip-up with the postcode. Built from carefully-built components from the embryonic Brightlingsea & Dogger Bank Junction Railway. The engineer, Mr R. Scratcher,  had high hopes for the class. Alas, on its first public outing the locomotive, driven by the engineers cousin, Dick Holdeur, drove the locomotive into the sea.  At the board of enquiry, it was caused by the signalman, Sherbert McGuiness, pulling the wrong lever.  Never mix Strongbow with IPA....

Unperturbed, Mr Scratcher went onwards to his next development, the much-celebrated  A12. The concept showed great promise, but was severely damaged by a refrigerated artic on the Colchester bypass.

It's true, I tell you! All true!

Awesome carts! Chapter & verse! Most impressed! :drink_mini:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 11/05/2021 at 09:55, Ruffnut Thorston said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/an2tique/m.html?item=265153903656&hash=item3dbc677c28%3Ag%3AW2oAAOSwKYZgl5HE&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

This seller has a lot of railway stuff, possibly from an estate sale...

There are various kits and parts, and instructions...

If only it had been properly sorted out before listing...

Some good stuff by here! ;)

Well I put in a couple of cheeky bids on two lots but didn't win.  The winners got some real bargains, the OO-9 locos, if they work or can be made to, are exceptional bargains.  If the seller had spotted the NG items and listed them together instead of some random mixed lots, they would have made much more. There are still a few listings to go, but even if I win nothing, I won't regret missing out on anything, I have far too many unfinished projects already......

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

D9980753-3894-49A8-AE6D-2E0705F418F8.jpeg.4d1ae54b45ab26c3385c580ab70e98de.jpeg

It’s missing the green hubcaps on the main drivers, the front truck may be the wrong way around and as for the colour...

Certain folks here are going to be highly vexed.

Cheers

Darius

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, Darius43 said:

D9980753-3894-49A8-AE6D-2E0705F418F8.jpeg.4d1ae54b45ab26c3385c580ab70e98de.jpeg

It’s missing the green hubcaps on the main drivers, the front truck may be the wrong way around and as for the colour...

Certain folks here are going to be highly vexed.

Cheers

Darius

"Constructed to a professional standard."! :locomotive:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

15 hours ago, Hroth said:

Its the experimental Psychadelic BR livery from the mid 60s applied to a "model" of a GT3 locomotive...

I can't make my mind up about the model itself. I keep thinking that the best match is a heavily doctored Airfix/Dapol BoB, a Triang B12 chassis and the side mouldings of an Airfix/Dapol City of Truro leading bogie clumsily screwed onto the B12s leading bogie.  However, with the buffer beam damage, and the description of "diecast", it can't be!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_GT3

The real loco looked like this:

image.png.0411144b846857ce96deb56b8f3e0c93.png

I beg to differ...I think you are right on the money. At least regards the body origins.

Look at the rear view of the tender, with the moulded ladders.

This is almost certainly a moulded plastic model...The Dapol kit I would guess, moulded in grey plastic, as seen in the damaged front buffer beam.

Certainly the tender...

Possibly someone thinking of diecast plastic?

Looking at the underside photo...I was wondering about the cross rods, at first thinking they may be brake linkages...

But looking again at the loco on the track...these are the pick ups?

I can’t see how that may work?

There looks to be some lettering on the underside by the driving wheels...top of photo...

I can’t read it, but possibly Dapol something...?

A very interesting loco....:)

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Typo
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

I beg to differ...I think you are right on the money. At least regards the body origins.

Look at the rear view of the tender, with the moulded ladders.

This is almost certainly a moulded plastic model...The Dapol kit I would guess, moulded in grey plastic, as seen in the damaged front buffer beam.

Certainly the tender...

Possibly someone thinking of diecast plastic?

Looking at the underside photo...I was wondering about the cross rods, at first thinking they may be brake linkages...

But looking again at the loco on the track...these are the pick ups?

I can’t see how that may work?

There looks to be some lettering on the underside by the driving wheels...top of photo...

I can’t read it, but possibly Dapol something...?

A very interesting loco....:)

There's certainly some curious engineering going on underneath! The leading bogie is defo 'engineered'! I was wondering about the pickups - initial thoughts concerned outside third rail power pickup? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, John Besley said:

It's Leprechaun Rail's little-known experimental prototype turf burner. 

I'll just wait for Accurascale Ireland to bring it out in the correct brighter shade of green.  

• Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 4

50 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

There's certainly some curious engineering going on underneath! The leading bogie is defo 'engineered'! I was wondering about the pickups - initial thoughts concerned outside third rail power pickup? 

Chassis looks 'vintage'? What do we make of the centre pair of drivers? Some kind of brass alloy?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

bertiedog

Members

6,109 posts

Author

Posted November 12, 2011

In case it is queried, outside third pickups are arranged on flat plate thin phosphor bronze spring plates, usually split , to aid independent movement and allow the gear wheel space to stick through the spring! Half round wire was used to maximise contact with the side rails, which could be on either side as needed, or indeed both sides over points. The contacts barely show in use, except for any sparks!!

Some pickups had single thin plates, un-split, and could a small stud underneath set to run on Hornby three rail track. The outside rail is still made by Peco, and usually was set 2mm above the running rails. Hornby three rail really demanded two pickups to work, but outside third works with just one to provide continuous power.

It made coach lighting quite easy as the coach bogies could all have simple wire pickups as well.

Stephen.

• Like 3