EBay madness

Marcyg

1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

If you check the details, you'll also see that it is "multicoloured" and "unpainted" ...

And I didn't realise that the "Flying Scotsman" was a Midland Railway 0-4-4 tank engine, either ... maybe that's why it is so expensive?!

Steve S

Haha! "Flying Scotsman" :locomotive::crazy_mini:

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

If you check the details, you'll also see that it is "multicoloured" and "unpainted" ...

Not only that, given that the box illustration is of a pre-grouping Midland engine, that only 8 survived to nationalisation and the last withdrawn in 1954, saying that it's an "Era 4 - British Railways Steam Era (1948-1956)" locomotive is pushing things a bit!

As for "SUOER DETAILED", I suppose that depends on how well you build it.

Paul H Vigor said "SUOER DETAILED OO SCALE LOCO KIT" - Suoer?? The electrical company from Foshan, Guangdong, by any chance??

Its amazing how many ebay listings of small electronic devices are apparently from a vendor in "Manchester"* Guangdong.

All the listing needs to be a true classic would have been the inclusion of "L@@K RARE!!!" somewhere...

* Other UK towns and cities are available.

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Not only that, given that the box illustration is of a pre-grouping Midland engine, that only 8 survived to nationalisation and the last withdrawn in 1954, saying that it's an "Era 4 - British Railways Steam Era (1948-1956)" locomotive is pushing things a bit!

As for "SUOER DETAILED", I suppose that depends on how well you build it.

Its amazing how many ebay listings of small electronic devices are apparently from a vendor in "Manchester"* Guangdong.

All the listing needs to be a true classic would have been the inclusion of "L@@K RARE!!!" somewhere...

* Other UK towns and cities are available.

There are several places around the world making steel products such as cutlery named Sheffield. Some dating back to the 50's.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Maybe not, but a post on one of the Facebook model railway groups naming and shaming them might go viral, then get picked up by the media, amongst whom will be those that also see this for what it is, profiteering on the back of a gesture made by Hornby to honour someone who made a difference, and help raise money at the same time for the charities he supported. And public opinion is a mighty powerful thing ... 

Steve "Disgusted of Greater Manchester" S

The donation to charity was made at original point of sale.  It is then up to the individual to do what they want with the item after that, if that means advertising it for a profit, then so be it.

Profit is only made if the item sells, and if it sells, then it sells to someone who really wants it.  All  profit  is the sellers, they do not need to, nor are obliged to, give any of that to charity.  The seller may set the price, but they are not forcing anyone to buy, and who is to say the seller wont be giving the profit to charity, they don't need to advertise it.  Charity donation is a personal and private matter.

I said on another thread that I bought my house from a builder who donated a percentage of the sale to a national childrens charity, if/when I sell this house, and make a 20k profit, should I give that profit to charity?  Would you?

As to raising it on Facebook, that will fall flat on its face.  Facebook is a 'me me me' platform. 

Focus should be on the man who prompted Hornby's gesture, not on squabbling about the price of a secondhand item that has already provided the charity donation.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Monkersson said:

The donation to charity was made at original point of sale.  It is then up to the individual to do what they want with the item after that, if that means advertising it for a profit, then so be it.

Profit is only made if the item sells, and if it sells, then it sells to someone who really wants it.  All  profit  is the sellers, they do not need to, nor are obliged to, give any of that to charity.  The seller may set the price, but they are not forcing anyone to buy, and who is to say the seller wont be giving the profit to charity, they don't need to advertise it.  Charity donation is a personal and private matter.

I said on another thread that I bought my house from a builder who donated a percentage of the sale to a national childrens charity, if/when I sell this house, and make a 20k profit, should I give that profit to charity?  Would you?

As to raising it on Facebook, that will fall flat on its face.  Facebook is a 'me me me' platform. 

Focus should be on the man who prompted Hornby's gesture, not on squabbling about the price of a secondhand item that has already provided the charity donation.

Up to a point I agree*, but this is very similar to people who buy tickets to charity concerts (thereby having made their donation) then sell them on at grossly inflated prices (which we can safely assume, little or nothing goes to the charity).  It's not really in the spirit of the event is it?

* I used to sell autojumble and a great source of workshop manuals was charity shops.  One or two friends said I was profiteering out of charity and as my margins were probably 100-200% as well, yes, they were probably right.  However I would say I NEVER asked for a discount and normally rounded up to the nearest pound.  What did I do with my "profits"?  Bought more books in charity shops......... some years I was probably spending over £200 in charity shops.  I wonder how many of my friends spent that much in them?

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Up to a point I agree*, but this is very similar to people who buy tickets to charity concerts (thereby having made their donation) then sell them on at grossly inflated prices (which we can safely assume, little or nothing goes to the charity).  It's not really in the spirit of the event is it?

* I used to sell autojumble and a great source of workshop manuals was charity shops.  One or two friends said I was profiteering out of charity and as my margins were probably 100-200% as well, yes, they were probably right.  However I would say I NEVER asked for a discount and normally rounded up to the nearest pound.  What did I do with my "profits"?  Bought more books in charity shops......... some years I was probably spending over £200 in charity shops.  I wonder how many of my friends spent that much in them?

Its maybe not in the spirit of the event, but the charity donation has already been made.  If these charity concert promoters thought there would be a sustained demand at the prices resellers sell for, then the point of sale price would be much higher.

Its the people who buy these tickets at the inflated prices that need questions asked of them.  Sadly these days people will pay anything to be seen 'doing the right thing' so they can brag to their social media followers.  They wont mention they paid £200 for a £40 ticket, but will gloat that they are at the event saying they are supporting the charity.  These days there is a growing number of people who need to be seen to be better than everyone else, no matter the costs.  Look at all the high end cars on the roads - most probably the majority financed to the hilt and on the brink of financial collapse with one out of warranty repair.

But back to the Class 66, these appeal to collectors, and collectors will sometimes pay through the nose for things they really want.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

And I didn't realise that the "Flying Scotsman" was a Midland Railway 0-4-4 tank engine, either ... maybe that's why it is so expensive?!

Steve S

Odd that brass is made out of whitemetal....

• Funny 4

22 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Haha! "Flying Scotsman" :locomotive::crazy_mini:

Assuming it's an 1833 class and built by Dubs or Neilson it could be a 'Scotsman' at least...even if it didn't fly along that well :D

• Like 4

13 hours ago, col.stephens said:

The seller says it is complete but the photos show only one set of driving wheels.  All of a sudden  this 4-4-0 has become a 4-2-0!  I think that the seller is now entitled to use the word 'RARE'!

I'm sure you mean R@RE!

• Funny 5

10 hours ago, MartinWales said:

I'm sure you mean R@RE!

That just never stops being funny!

I have a Tri-ang insulfish van somewhere (missing it's roof of course.) I feel like putting it on eBay then squeezing R@RE!! and L@@K!! into the title, just because...

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

There's another kind of eBay madness on the loose right now ...

It's called "The Euros" ...

Tonight I placed a few bids quite some time before the auctions finished, and normally, if I am lucky, perhaps one might win (the others being grabbed at the last second)

The silence was deafening ...

Tumbleweed was observed blowing across the rooms housing the eBay servers ...

And just like that all my bids came in, all but one without any bids against them!

These were for various Bachmann wagons and I got them for a steal (individually) ... it's when they all win that it quickly adds up!

One item that appeared was a lovely Kernow Bulleid diesel, going for the very reasonable BIN of £220 (or best offer) ... I don't have anywhere near the necessary funds right now, but if you are after one for your layout* I would grab it quick before the likes of Gostude snap it up** and immediately sell it for double the price!

Steve S

* Assuming that nobody on RMWeb is of the price-gouging persuasion!

** Even worse, one of those chancers who will split it into body, chassis, bogies and box and sell each constituent part for an inflated sum! 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

There's another kind of eBay madness on the loose right now ...

It's called "The Euros" ...

Tonight I placed a few bids quite some time before the auctions finished, and normally, if I am lucky, perhaps one might win (the others being grabbed at the last second)

The silence was deafening ...

Tumbleweed was observed blowing across the rooms housing the eBay servers ...

And just like that all my bids came in, all but one without any bids against them!

These were for various Bachmann wagons and I got them for a steal (individually) ... it's when they all win that it quickly adds up!

One item that appeared was a lovely Kernow Bulleid diesel, going for the very reasonable BIN of £220 (or best offer) ... I don't have anywhere near the necessary funds right now, but if you are after one for your layout* I would grab it quick before the likes of Gostude snap it up** and immediately sell it for double the price!

Steve S

* Assuming that nobody on RMWeb is of the price-gouging persuasion!

** Even worse, one of those chancers who will split it into body, chassis, bogies and box and sell each constituent part for an inflated sum! 

Nice one :)

Opposite for me - I'd been watching a coach kit (D&S so was expecting it to go for a fair bit) and to keep the football theme, I was winning until the ref was about to blow his whistle for full time it  jumped to over £100! That's a lot more than a "fair bit" in my eyes :(

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Nice one :)

Opposite for me - I'd been watching a coach kit (D&S so was expecting it to go for a fair bit) and to keep the football theme, I was winning until the ref was about to blow his whistle for full time it  jumped to over £100! That's a lot more than a "fair bit" in my eyes :(

I just noticed your signature - Rich. Still got my modelling L plates

Gave me a proper laugh that, until I realised that mine should probably read - Steve. Failed the modelling theory test twice already

:lol:

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

Funnily enough all my items did even better than expected last night but then again it was not long after the whistle had blown. Maybe people were cheered up and decided to spend!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

There are currently only two copies that I can find online.  One is that one, also available through Amazon, Worldofbooks own site and Abebooks (at really silly money). There is one other (new) on Amazon Marketplace at 71.99.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1