EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

This feels a bit odd writing this here but it has been bothering my anxiety since reading the comments about HR further up the thread. 

I've worked in HR all my career and there is another side. I'll give you some examples that maybe you might just give a little bit more thought to a different view. 

In one company I worked in the Production Director was an unpleasant man. He had lights outside his office red, do no enter, green enter. If he did not like what you said he would bang his fists on his desk and shout at you. More to the point disagreeing with him only got one result. He and and MD said they wanted someone sacking. I pointed out the legal reasons why they could not and what they would need to do. Suffice to say shortly afterwards 'I did not fit in' . The one good thing there was with any disciplinary the Shop Stewart and I would have had a 'boiler room chat' discussed the merits and he would help me to keep the manager on the right lines and in fairness both agreed on where we thought it should end up. He wanted to see fair play too. 

In that same firm another Director did not think one of their managers was performing and again was making their live uncomfortable, whilst still being friends with them on Facebook. As all of this was behind doors I could not say anything to the person, which did not sit well with me and felt like being two faced. 

I moved to another company and things were good for quite a few years. Some places did what they wanted and then conveniently said 'HR had told them' even though they had never spoken to or emailed me! 

Things were fine till a new manager arrived who then did not like that I had supported an employee in a disciplinary who said they had depression. That resulted in a complaint and me being taken out of that job.  Now I just get micro managed at times. 

We are 'used' as excuses sometimes by managers who want an easy way out. I don't miss doing HR and the politics that goes with it and which can be exhausting. You are expected to do the company's bidding and just get on with it, all the time of course there is no one you can talk to. 

So please give some slack not all are bad.  All I know is whilst having written this has set my anxiety off in relation to some of the things in the past both near and far at least I have given a different side.

Now back to madness 

• Friendly/supportive 16

Having put the title into Google, this seems to be the cheapest of Amazon's options. Waterstones list it at 23.99 but haven't actually got it. So, if someone really wants it, at the moment that seems to be what it will cost. Whether anyone does actually want it that badly, of course, remains to be seen. Me, I'd be waiting to see if it turns up in Waterstones again.

Reminds me of the old joke ..... 

A bloke goes into a store to buy a book .... 

"How much are your books on xxxx?" he asked. 

"£50" replied the shopkeeper. 

"That's a bit expensive", the bloke said, "they are only £20 at the shop down the road". 

"Why don't you buy it from down the road then?" replied the shopkeeper. 

"I would", the man said, "but they don't have any left". 

"Well", said the shopkeeper, "Ours are only £20 when we don't have any".

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Blandford1969 said:

This feels a bit odd writing this here but it has been bothering my anxiety since reading the comments about HR further up the thread. 

I've worked in HR all my career and there is another side. I'll give you some examples that maybe you might just give a little bit more thought to a different view. 

In one company I worked in the Production Director was an unpleasant man. He had lights outside his office red, do no enter, green enter. If he did not like what you said he would bang his fists on his desk and shout at you. More to the point disagreeing with him only got one result. He and and MD said they wanted someone sacking. I pointed out the legal reasons why they could not and what they would need to do. Suffice to say shortly afterwards 'I did not fit in' . The one good thing there was with any disciplinary the Shop Stewart and I would have had a 'boiler room chat' discussed the merits and he would help me to keep the manager on the right lines and in fairness both agreed on where we thought it should end up. He wanted to see fair play too. 

In that same firm another Director did not think one of their managers was performing and again was making their live uncomfortable, whilst still being friends with them on Facebook. As all of this was behind doors I could not say anything to the person, which did not sit well with me and felt like being two faced. 

I moved to another company and things were good for quite a few years. Some places did what they wanted and then conveniently said 'HR had told them' even though they had never spoken to or emailed me! 

Things were fine till a new manager arrived who then did not like that I had supported an employee in a disciplinary who said they had depression. That resulted in a complaint and me being taken out of that job.  Now I just get micro managed at times. 

We are 'used' as excuses sometimes by managers who want an easy way out. I don't miss doing HR and the politics that goes with it and which can be exhausting. You are expected to do the company's bidding and just get on with it, all the time of course there is no one you can talk to. 

So please give some slack not all are bad.  All I know is whilst having written this has set my anxiety off in relation to some of the things in the past both near and far at least I have given a different side.

Now back to madness 

I’m sure not all are bad, and that HR can be used as whipping boys by bad managers, but those in Cardiff’s main Royal Mail sorting office are beneath contempt for the way they treated people.  Sorry to have been the cause of setting your anxiety off, Blandford; sounds like you are as much a casualty of the system as I am, and I sympathise. 

Hey, a guy called Blandford on a forum, what’s not to like?!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Esmedune said:

I've reported this one. Looking at the feedback, they are a repeat offender at claiming stuff is new. Half the underside is hanging off or missing and some of the HT on the roof is bent and broken.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402924854654

Good.

I suppose a cynic might point out it is a Heljan model and bits drop off, but the seller needs to point out faults even if the model appears unused.

A feedback rating of less than 99% looks bad for someone with so few sales.

- Richard.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, Esmedune said:

I've reported this one. Looking at the feedback, they are a repeat offender at claiming stuff is new. Half the underside is hanging off or missing and some of the HT on the roof is bent and broken.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402924854654

The name "jimbarnfinds" doesn't fill one with confidence! Look closely and you may see a piece of straw trapped in the bogie!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

I am very wary indeed of listings marked "no returns". Why ever not? If you cannot show some trust in your buyers, you cannot expect them to trust you. I always allow returns, 14 days, buyer pays return postage, and no-one has ever taken it up. What you need to do, as a private seller, is describe items as well as you can, with plenty of photos. If you are selling model trains, many buyers want quality information and this needs to be rather more than saying "you are selling on behalf of someone else ...".

- Richard.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

57 minutes ago, 47137 said:

I am very wary indeed of listings marked "no returns". Why ever not? If you cannot show some trust in your buyers, you cannot expect them to trust you. I always allow returns, 14 days, buyer pays return postage, and no-one has ever taken it up. What you need to do, as a private seller, is describe items as well as you can, with plenty of photos. If you are selling model trains, many buyers want quality information and this needs to be rather more than saying "you are selling on behalf of someone else ...".

- Richard.

Desperate not to take things off-topic (I seek to be good at that) I haven’t sold anything on eBay for years after being “stung” by an unscrupulous buyer…

I sold a Roland external synth sound module, originally priced at £599, with a starting bid of £75. Similar items were on sale with BIN of £350-£400, as the internal card could also be put inside Roland’s high end keyboards, except they were no longer making them. Supply & demand etc.

I had about three or four bidders. The winner won it for £199 (with p&p at about £5 or so). Duly paid etc, packaged up and sent off.

Got an email - doesn’t work, won’t power up. That wasn’t the case when I sent it out! It had been tested, and I had even gone to the lengths of explaining that it had scratches on the top of the casing, and around the rack mount points. He insisted it wouldn’t power up. I asked him to return it and I would refund him. Nope. He wanted to keep it and have a refund of £150 because that was how much it would cost to repair!

Again I said send it back, and I would refund in full and even pay for the return postage. He sent me a photo of the inside of a module with burn marks and melted components around the power cord socket, and threatened to report me to eBay. Before I could answer, he did so.

eBay upheld his claim and refunded him £199 + the p&p - and he didn’t return the module.

It was only after the event that I met someone with the same module, told them the story and they opened their’s up and sent me a photo - can you guess?

Yep, the photo provided to eBay was only vaguely similar to the one I had sold! Bl@@dy eBay pirate!

I put a complaint in, even providing the photographic evidence. Nothing.

I stopped using eBay for about four years after that. When I returned, I changed my username etc and have only purchased items since.

When I spot errors on listings, I politely point them out to the seller. I would say 95% of the time I am thanked and it is clear it was a mistake…

The other 5%? Well, their auctions tend to end up on the eBay Madness thread!

HOURS OF FUN!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

You have my full sympathy.

So far, I have had only one problem seller, the guy did something rather clever with PayPal and ended up taking my money into a substitute account, demonstrated "I hadn't paid", and never sent the goods. Ebay customer service were sympathetic but unhelpful. No real "problem buyers" except for the odd ones who give the damn thing a name or other some other anthropomorphic qualities and want to discuss it well into their period of ownership :-)

- Richard.

Edited by 47137
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

On 15/06/2021 at 23:48, Paul H Vigor said:

As the current high bidder, I have a KS 6300 minus its cylinders!! Good old GWR standardisation means that it this comes in at or less than my top bidi will be happy!! Maybe not quite madness as I’ll have another complete loco for next to nothing!! 

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

3 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Desperate not to take things off-topic (I seek to be good at that) I haven’t sold anything on eBay for years after being “stung” by an unscrupulous buyer…

I sold a Roland external synth sound module, originally priced at £599, with a starting bid of £75. Similar items were on sale with BIN of £350-£400, as the internal card could also be put inside Roland’s high end keyboards, except they were no longer making them. Supply & demand etc.

I had about three or four bidders. The winner won it for £199 (with p&p at about £5 or so). Duly paid etc, packaged up and sent off.

Got an email - doesn’t work, won’t power up. That wasn’t the case when I sent it out! It had been tested, and I had even gone to the lengths of explaining that it had scratches on the top of the casing, and around the rack mount points. He insisted it wouldn’t power up. I asked him to return it and I would refund him. Nope. He wanted to keep it and have a refund of £150 because that was how much it would cost to repair!

Again I said send it back, and I would refund in full and even pay for the return postage. He sent me a photo of the inside of a module with burn marks and melted components around the power cord socket, and threatened to report me to eBay. Before I could answer, he did so.

eBay upheld his claim and refunded him £199 + the p&p - and he didn’t return the module.

It was only after the event that I met someone with the same module, told them the story and they opened their’s up and sent me a photo - can you guess?

Yep, the photo provided to eBay was only vaguely similar to the one I had sold! Bl@@dy eBay pirate!

I stopped using eBay for about four years after that. When I returned, I changed my username etc and have only purchased items since.

When I spot errors on listings, I politely point them out to the seller. I would say 95% of the time I am thanked and it is clear it was a mistake…

HOURS OF FUN!

Angry on your behalf and it’s not even my sale!

I tell you something, for £200 he’d have to be a very long way from where I live to get away with that….

• Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, ianmacc said:

Angry on your behalf and it’s not even my sale!

I tell you something, for £200 he’d have to be a very long way from where I live to get away with that….

And I guess that if it was posted to him - you would know where he lives!?

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, russell price said:

As the current high bidder, I have a KS 6300 minus its cylinders!! Good old GWR standardisation means that it this comes in at or less than my top bidi will be happy!! Maybe not quite madness as I’ll have another complete loco for next to nothing!! 

2C334DA1-1589-4DB7-9D73-C028F4F64ED7.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I think the guy is trying to hide something.

He might have replied, "I cannot see signs of handling or indeed of use on a layout; the wheel treads are fresh and bright, so I think 'new' is a fair description"

you might still disagree with him over his vocabulary, but you would know something more about the model.

The analogy with a can of baked beans tells you nothing.

- Richard.

• Agree 3

Surely if you are a private individual, rather than a model shop.or a manufacturer, the item is secondhand, whether it's been opened or not. 

As a former workmate discovered when he tried to sell his extensive collection of Lima diesels that were still in unopened boxes.

I have bought / sold / swapped lots of vintage motorcycle parts over the years. Some of which are almost a century old and in unused "New Old Stock" condition. But I have always been at least the second owner. I have never described them as "brand new"  because I haven't finished building my time machine yet...

• Round of applause 3

1 minute ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

The parts are out there on eBay!

Mike.

Yes, but as with a lot of unused parts they have been stored in a leaky shed under a pile of old furniture since 1965. 

I've had a lot of stuff that is unused, so clearly "new" but it's dented, rusty or missing the odd part..

The difference being, that if I am selling it, you will know these things in advance.

I've never failed to sell anything.

Like @SteveyDee68I have been ripped off exactly the same way, except it was for £150 for a Landrover part. The "Returns not accepted" option means nothing. If a buyer kicks off enough, they get their money back and keep the item.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

HOURS OF FUN!

I would report him to the police for fraud and claim for damages from E-bay.

• Agree 2

Which will cost you £35 to make a claim. Then if the defendant doesn't want to talk to you it will go to court. If you win the case, the defendant will be given several weeks to pay the debt plus costs. If they don't, it will cost you a further £80 to enforce the repayment of the debt, which will be added to the bill.

All good fun.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Surely if you are a private individual, rather than a model shop.or a manufacturer, the item is secondhand, whether it's been opened or not. 

Correct; secondhand means that "ownership" has been transferred, it has absolutely nothing to do with whether the item was actually used or not.  I thought the seller sounded a bit of a numpty, then with his baked beans analogy he very kindly drew attention to it.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, col.stephens said:

And his reply:

Simply I know these are NEW & UNUSED, If you go to supermarket and buy a tin of baked beans then give that purchase to a neighbour although you have not opened it, DOES THAT MAKE THEM SECOND HAND, I will now block you from bidding on my site

I so want to do that with so many seller, it is a massive injustice by eBay not to offer this function to buyers.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, CHAZ D said:

This seems more  like a badly painted airfix model in the case value £30 at Best for the case and throw away the loco ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114855382594?hash=item1abdea0e42%3Ag%3AecYAAOSwsldgy2vw&LH_BIN=1

Having looked closely at how the case is put together, I think that you're about £25 out on the valuation of the case. 

I don't think that this item will sell anytime soon.

• Like 3