EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

The fad for just dumping a job lot in a box never mind the damage caused has now been usurped.  Ladies and Gentlemen, let me present the new way to present your precious wares, tip the lot out of an old suitcase onto a brick driveway!!!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393398933856

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

I've seen a few of these, and to me, these models are not that good... Not bad, but not very professional.

Whoever it is, they call themselves Silver Fox Models and sell repainted locos for lots of money, but the person's airbrush skills are not that great, and the N gauge models look particularly bad.  Whoever they are, they think they are the bee's knees, as they are making their own boxes and labels. 

Apart from this example, there is a Class 76 by Hornby being sold in a Lima box.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372852945781

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CHAZ D said:

This seems more  like a badly painted airfix model in the case value £30 at Best for the case and throw away the loco ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114855382594?hash=item1abdea0e42%3Ag%3AecYAAOSwsldgy2vw&LH_BIN=1

Oh, I wonder who would win, if someone bought it as described, a Hornby loco...:diablo_mini:

A nice Bit of Tri-ang Super 4 track there too...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

46 minutes ago, CHAZ D said:

This seems more  like a badly painted airfix model in the case value £30 at Best for the case and throw away the loco ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114855382594?hash=item1abdea0e42%3Ag%3AecYAAOSwsldgy2vw&LH_BIN=1

Claims to be 'Hornby', but - for £99.99 - no indication if it is motorised/is a 'runner'?

• Agree 4

9 minutes ago, Esmedune said:

I've seen a few of these, and to me, these models are not that good... Not bad, but not very professional.

Whoever it is, they call themselves Silver Fox Models and sell repainted locos for lots of money, but the person's airbrush skills are not that great, and the N gauge models look particularly bad.  Whoever they are, they think they are the bee's knees, as they are making their own boxes and labels. 

Apart from this example, there is a Class 76 by Hornby being sold in a Lima box.

Since when did Hornby offer DCC Ready Ringfield motored chassis?

The link has a modified Hornby Class 25 chassis, with Ringfield motor bogie!

This is a Silver Fox Models factory painted Resin body over a modified Hornby DCC Ready chassis.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Esmedune said:

Whoever it is, they call themselves Silver Fox Models and sell repainted locos for lots of money

As has been stated above, the seller is not “Silver Fox Models”, rather he is “Gostude”, who has something of a reputation on this thread.

Silver Fox Models are an established small trader supplying resin-bodied conversions and full kits for various locos and multiple units.  I have a few of their products and they are not badly painted but, in my opinion, could be painted to a finer standard.  I have bought and painted some of their resin coach bodies.

So now you know the difference between Silver Fox Models and Gostude.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Why pay £149.50 from gosrude when you can buy direct from Silver Fox for 50p more and be sure of getting a new one! 

http://silverfoxmodels.co.uk/class-74-bo-bo-british-rail-crewe-new-2/

it also says in that link that the model uses a Hornby class 90 chassis so that’s what the Hornby DCC ready option is 

in my opinion, despite never owning or building one of the kits from what I’ve seen at various shows where silver Fox have been present (pretty sure they do warley) they are pretty good models ‘for the time’, that time being a decade or two ago, they however still stand up to scrutiny today but they do appear to have been surpassed by the latest generation of 3D print models available from home manufacturers on eBay or shapeways 

some of their more unusual prototypes that 10 years ago were only available from silver Fox have since been picked up by the mainstream manufacturers such as the (proposed) class 89, 74 (Hornby class 71) and Heljan 05, 07 lion etc with a lot crisper detail out of the box for similar sorts of prices, but I suppose there are still plenty of people happy to buy them

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, John M Upton said:

The fad for just dumping a job lot in a box never mind the damage caused has now been usurped.  Ladies and Gentlemen, let me present the new way to present your precious wares, tip the lot out of an old suitcase onto a brick driveway!!!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393398933856

image.png.e451199fe27167b0625201579d12cc57.png

I make no comment or comparison!

Mike.

• Funny 5

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363437587378?hash=item549e917bb2:g:qPwAAOSwt6Fgy2u1

Let's deal with the description one bit at a time:

"Flying scotsman" - Yes it is. Well done.

"Model" - Hmm... I prefer the Triang one.

"rare." - probably because nobody bought this piece of junk to begin with.

"Condition is "Used"." - How does one 'use' this?

"Dispatched with Royal Mail 2nd Class." - I suppose this might be true.

"Stunning piece" - I'm glad you think so. We may have different standards to each other.

"made of pure tin" - Unless your chemistry is better than your history, I doubt that you have a clue what its made from.

"but not a tin" - And nothing to do with Tintin.

"very old" - I must be ancient by your standards: I'm 18!image.png.9ac920de9a1d891049b91d89ed12d03d.png

"but mint cond" - 100*0=0. A "mint" piece of rubbish is still rubbish.

"rare one" - It might be more rare than your use of the word rare, but thanks for reminding us that you were the only one foolish enough to buy it in the first place.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Esmedune said:

Silver Fox Models is a legitimate business, a "smaller supplier".

I bought one of their class 07 shunters many years ago. They are resin bodies on RTR chassis, and built to order. Mine came in a hand-made box, I don't want to sound "contrary" but I thought it was a nice touch. I felt I was buying a hand-made RTR model, and it is still in my collection of 4mm locos. Silver Fox would have sold me just the body shell if I had wanted, but the RTR version cost much the same as body + Bachmann donor.

Usual disclaimer.

- Richard.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DK123GWR said:

"Stunning piece" - I'm glad you think so. We may have different standards to each other.

"made of pure tin" - Unless your chemistry is better than your history, I doubt that you have a clue what its made from.

"very old" - I must be ancient by your standards: I'm 18!image.png.9ac920de9a1d891049b91d89ed12d03d.png

"rare one" - It might be more rare than your use of the word rare, but thanks for reminding us that you were the only one foolish enough to buy it in the first place.

37 minutes ago, Re6/6 said:

Looks like a biscuit tin.

See all the other junk from this seller!

I can't imagine why, but of all the crap rare collectables that he is selling, only two seem to have bids on them.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

In response to a question about how old it was, the seller said:

"Hi I honestly not sure was bro7ght from a house clearance and they said they'd had it for over 25 years but this is all I no and have been informed hope that helps thanks"

I have informed them of the results of the detailed forensic investigation which I undertook (see photo above) to determine the approximate age of the... thing... and have suggested that they update the listsing.

Edited by DK123GWR
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

"Hi I honestly not sure was bro7ght from a house clearance and they said they'd had it for over 25 years but this is all I no and have been informed hope that helps thanks"

I have informed them of the results of the detailed forensic investigation which I undertook (see photo above) to determine the approximate age of the... thing... and have suggested that they update the listsing.

The listing has been updated a bit…;)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I can't imagine why, but of all the crap rare collectables that he is selling, only two seem to have bids on them.

Mike.

It is "made of pure tin"! 22 carrot tin??

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I had one once (it was a gift), it had biscuits in, I ate the biscuits and after a while gave it to Help the Aged, they got a pound for it.  Obviously neither they nor I were trying hard enough!

I think the tin, with biscuits, retails about the £9 mark.  As I said, mine was a gift...

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, DK123GWR said:

I did tell him it couldn't be older that 14 years, so I don't know where he got the 15. Oh well...

Thats the job thing. Must be under 21 with 22 years experience! Nothing is impossible if you ignore facts.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, DK123GWR said:

There is plenty of "extremely rare " junk on his lists....

• Like 1