EBay madness

Marcyg

R.050 was listed as a separate loco in the 1974 catalogue, as well as in the New! R.543 Express Passenger Set (one year only).

Looking at the locos in the 1974 catalogue , as a model Princess Victoria looked archaic even then, although there were other humdingers.  The range also contained the atrocious Lord Westwood, an amazing piece of self-puffery only previously inflicted on the public when the LNWR introduced the "Claughtons"....

According to the list, R.258 was a main catalogue locomotive for those who wanted the valve gear too.

Edited by Hroth
bit of editing, etc
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

That sounded like a splendid rebuke from the house of lords! :jester:

I vaguely remember the Lord Westwood loco. I don't remember anybody having one though. I mean, why? What was it's purpose? Hogwarts Castle I can understand, it was a way to get youngsters interested in trains and show that Hornby wasn't stuck in the 'fifties.

Despite the fact that her secret shame is having been a massive Harry Potter fan, the memsahib says that the loco would have looked better in GWR green.

• Like 4

Hornby Railways Mail Order "Princess" Locos 1974.

R.050 PRINCESS VICTORIA 46205 BR Black

About 22,000 made for Train Sets and "Solo" models.

R.053 PRINCESS VICTORIA 46205 BR Green

These are "fairly common, but both gloss and matt versions are said to exist".

In 1975 this loco was replaced by the mail order Brittania "Iron Duke".

R.048 PRINCESS VICTORIA 46205 BR Red

This versioin is "rare", from a mail order Train Set in 1974. Possibly not available "Solo".

R.258 PRINCESS VICTORIA 46205 BR Blue

Only factory samples known to have been made.

(Information From Pat Hammonds "The History of Rovex" Volume 3 Hornby Railways.)

The above is from one of my old posts on another forum...

R.048 was later reused for the London Transport Pannier tank, and later still, a BR  Brake Van.

R.258 was indeed in the 1970s the main range version, in LMS livery as 6201, Princess Elizabeth. Some versions included alternative names and numbers...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

From the same seller as the badly bodged 158 comes this Triang era antique, painted with a bog brush and served up with "windows inside the train" for forty quid PLUS postage:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294235710353?hash=item4481d0a391:g:b58AAOSwE6Bgzv9r

Edited by John M Upton
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5

That really is overpriced rubbish!

I think that it's high time that we stop putting rubbish things atop out garden wall and shooting at them.

Instead we should shamelessly put them on eBay instead.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, John M Upton said:

From the same seller as the badly bodged 158 comes this Triang era antique, painted with a bog brush and served up with "windows inside the train" for forty quid PLUS postage:

But it says it's resprayed so can't be a bog brush!

Personally, I think he's done well to get it under the bitumen sprayer when his road was being re-surfaced, and to get blue tarmac as well, congratulations are due.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

6 hours ago, John M Upton said:

A fairly accurate description, and as he hasn't "weathered" the undercarriage, it may well run good...

Their are windows in the train.

is a classic, and shows that he's learning to paint within the lines.

But it IS priced too high for something that needs to be dumped in a tub of dettol on receipt!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Hroth said:

A fairly accurate description, and as he hasn't "weathered" the undercarriage, it may well run good...

But it IS priced too high for something that needs to be dumped in a tub of dettol on receipt!

I saw this whilst. Looking for Triang Blue Pullman coaches and this came up.

just kept on scrolling after the initial curiosity needed satisfying!!!  

• Funny 4

7 hours ago, Hroth said:

Petrol is cheaper and just as flammable...

• Funny 3

Sometimes it's worth looking at the dodgy paint jobs more closely. Although not railway, I'm expecting to receive, tomorrow, a horrifically painted Scalextric BRM P160 that cost a minimal amount because they're so commonplace in the usual green or white. However, from a careful inspection of the photos, I think it's the much less common (I won't say R@RE) red version under the paint. Not that it's actually valuable, as it's also a bit battered but, if I'm right and can get the paint off, it might be an interesting piece. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I noticed an N gauge Dapol loco listed as "New" and in the listing it states that it has been run to "test" it , well it's no longer new then is it . Messaged the seller , no reply as yet . Tried to report to eBay but there is no option that i can see under the reasons for reporting it . 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, topnoddy said:

I noticed an N gauge Dapol loco listed as "New" and in the listing it states that it has been run to "test" it , well it's no longer new then is it . Messaged the seller , no reply as yet . Tried to report to eBay but there is no option that i can see under the reasons for reporting it . 

I was under the impression that some model shops

test run models before they send them out.

Does that mean they are not new when you get them?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, PatB said:

Sometimes it's worth looking at the dodgy paint jobs more closely. Although not railway, I'm expecting to receive, tomorrow, a horrifically painted Scalextric BRM P160 that cost a minimal amount because they're so commonplace in the usual green or white. However, from a careful inspection of the photos, I think it's the much less common (I won't say R@RE) red version under the paint. Not that it's actually valuable, as it's also a bit battered but, if I'm right and can get the paint off, it might be an interesting piece. 

Well, it's arrived and I was right about it being a red one. It's currently in a Dettol bath to try and get the paint off. If it proves unsalvageable, I'm not too upset. It came bundled with another commonplace car for a fiver plus postage and so, if nothing else, I've got a pair of working 70s motors, 7 useable wheels, 2 pairs of axles and a couple of pickup assemblies. Well worth the cost, so an unusual but tired body shell was always going to be a bonus really. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rab said:

I was under the impression that some model shops

test run models before they send them out.

Does that mean they are not new when you get them?

My take on it all is if you are not the original owner of an item then it's second hand . How this seller can say it's"brand new" but then goes on to say it's been used is beyond me . I'm sure he's not the only one doing it , buyer beware and all that . I've seen plenty of wagons and coaches that are used  on there for sale at more than they can still be bought for new from a shop 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 24/06/2021 at 22:07, Hroth said:

Looking at the locos in the 1974 catalogue , as a model Princess Victoria looked archaic even then, although there were other humdingers.  The range also contained the atrocious Lord Westwood, an amazing piece of self-puffery only previously inflicted on the public when the LNWR introduced the "Claughtons"....

Oh, I don't know about that. The Great Central had a class of Directors and the LNER followed suit. The GWR went in for it as well but the LMS was above such things. But only the LNWR named an engine The Auditor.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Oh, I don't know about that. The Great Central had a class of Directors and the LNER followed suit. The GWR went in for it as well but the LMS was above such things. But only the LNWR named an engine The Auditor.

I assume noone was pleased to see it. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 3

Oh yes, I can see it now, the 2021 version. A whole lot of pendolinos painted in beige and grey Hewlett Packard photocopier liveries with names like:

Reliability Manager, Production Controller, Safety Manager, Resource Manager, Quality Champion and of course, Human Resources.....

Then locomotive 00001, Image Consultant, will be put on show at the NEC to show the world that the golden age of railways has only just begun.....:jester:

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

On 26/06/2021 at 11:46, Compound2632 said:

You'd have thought that they would have jazzed things up a bit, locomotives often being powerful things with suitable names. Instead of The Auditor, how about The Inquisitor?

Seeing as we have a locomotive named Oliver Cromwell, how about one of his equally scary contemporaries, such as The Witchfinder General?

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Oh yes, I can see it now, the 2021 version. A whole lot of pendolinos painted in beige and grey Hewlett Packard photocopier liveries with names like:

Reliability Manager, Production Controller, Safety Manager, Resource Manager, Quality Champion and of course, Human Resources.....

Then locomotive 00001, Image Consultant, will be put on show at the NEC to show the world that the golden age of railways has only just begun.....:jester:

You missed The Management Consultant.  They would be the ones that came up with the idea for naming your locomotive then charged you for it.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1