EBay madness

Marcyg

14 minutes ago, 47137 said:

The longer I leave this the more embarrassing it will become, but I did buy a Roco ferry wagon from him a couple of years ago. I paid him the £28 he wanted, most UK dealers would have asked barely half this but I had been looking for ages and never found one. It turned up in perfect condition, it was advertised as used but it looked like it had only been taken out of its box for photographs, never run on a layout.

So - I got my wagon, and a tidy example too, but this would be a bad habit to get into. It would spoil the hobby for me and I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe he is shrewd enough to know, a woman buys two things at half price because they are a bargain. A man buys one thing at double price because he wants it. And most of his model train buyers are men.

- Richard.

Nothing to be ashamed about. I have made two such purchases. Both over but not hugely the usual price. In both occasions mint condition quick delivery and packed in brand new shipping box. 

just ignore his stupid stuff and buy his fair stuff; some of it is. 

Edited by ianmacc
Clarity
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just looking through eBay and noticed this listing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353552783422?hash=item525163583e%3Ag%3A3BsAAOSwYuhg9WU2&LH_BIN=1

Hornby R4909 R4910 R4911 New Measurement Train MK3 Coaches Network Rail OO Gauge

£209.95

Hornby R4909 R4910 R4911 New Measurement Train MK3 Coaches Network Rail OO Gauge. New and unrun

UK Postage - This is always at cost price whether buying a single or multiple items. I will refund any difference if postage paid is more than it cost to send. 

International Postage - I only sell through eBay's Global Shipping Program, they set the postage costs I do not. For multiple purchases I cannot combine postage after items are purchased but if you contact me before buying I can try combining multiple items into a single listing which may be less expensive.

3PO

-Peter

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

The worth of something is only what somebody will pay for it.

Not quite; the worth of something is what TWO people AGREE to exchange for it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Proper eBay madness (to me) again, courtesy of our old friend Go$tude …

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIMA-305637-WEATHERED-RE-PAINTED-RAKE-of-2-YEOMAN-PROCOR-HOPPER-PCA-WAGON-1nz-/333933848043?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Thing is, I can get a brand new super detailed (and I mean super, super detailed) Cavalex Models PGA hopper wagon for £32.50 BIN, so Go$tude’s Lima wagons (“professionally repainted”) work out at £32.25 each …

For an extra £0.25, I know which model I would be buying!!

Steve S

PS

In double checking, I discovered that he has not one but two auctions of a pair of Lima PGA hopper wagons!

Elsewhere, Lima PGA hoppers sell for (approx max) £15 a pop!

Do we admire Go$tude’s temerity?

It can't be Gostude; it doesn't say kit built.

Or is repainted the new kit built for him.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

An enterprising re use of the self adhesive labels that come with blank tapes. ;)

The E-120 probably comes from the spine labels. 

The Q and P come from the letter and number labels intended for adding an index number to the tape.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

An enterprising re use of the self adhesive labels that come with blank tapes. ;)

The E-120 probably comes from the spine labels. 

The Q and P come from the letter and number labels intended for adding an index number to the tape.

Yes and I expect they just peel off and reveal 08830 and the BR double arrows beneath them. 58 is still fractionally over valued as it’s the toy version rather than the finescale  version. 

Edited by ianmacc
Typi
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, ianmacc said:

Yes and I expect they just peel off and reveal 08830 and the BR double arrows beneath them. 58 is still fractionally over valued as it’s the toy version rather than the finescale  version. 

Surely it would reduce the value if you peeled off the weathering?

• Funny 4

On 20/07/2021 at 17:15, MartynJPearson said:

This caught my eye...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144119575546?hash=item218e3233fa:g:vHEAAOSwi2lg9fcd

Not sure which prototype it is based on, but presumably one used to shunt around 2 hour long video cassettes.

He forgot to mention the bloke who added random star wars reference stickers o nthe sides to an "attempt" to create his own version of BR blue after a night out and consuming over 50 units / litres of alcohol

NL

• Funny 2

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-Bachmann-46026-branchline-31075-class-46-Locomotive-in-BR-Blue-livery-/294266620458?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

I thought about sending him a message asking if he had been drinking........then I looked at the rest of the listings and realised he's clearly been drinking non-stop for months........

Regards

Guy

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

2 minutes ago, balders said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-Bachmann-46026-branchline-31075-class-46-Locomotive-in-BR-Blue-livery-/294266620458?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

I thought about sending him a message asking if he had been drinking........then I looked at the rest of the listings and realised he's clearly been drinking non-stop for months........

Regards

Guy

"Untested" - really fills one with confidence??

• Agree 2

Looking at the grotty wheels, I'd say that if it does run, it doesn't run very well.

Looking at the price, the Glaswegian term "pess heed" springs to mind. (Apologies to our cousins north of Hadrian's wall, but the profanity filter won't permit it in English!)

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The cover all "as pictures" description school of Ebaying strikes again.

And I don't buy the clearing my uncles cupboard out claim either. Looks more like a chancer junk dealer to me.

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Looking at the type and variation of items that he is selling, I would say that it's a house clearance dealer.

Gosh, I'm sounding polite today.

I probably have sunstroke....

'Port out, starboard home'? :D

• Funny 2

Normally I'm quite dismissive of tat dealers. I know a few, they only ever call when they want something valuing though and are generally disappointed.

Recently I had one bring round a supposedly 1920s bicycle with hub brakes. I managed to let him down lightly, it was rod braked, but a lot of bits were missing, the hub brake was in fact a dynamo with nothing attached, about 6 inches had rotted off both mudguards and it had recently been painted with black Dulux using what I assume was a toilet brush.

As for identity, it was a Robin Hood from the mid 1950s, Raleigh's cheap entry level bike. A bit like buying one from Halfords nowadays for £80.

I did feel kind of sorry for him, (Not that sorry, he's always got a roll of twenty's in his pocket that would choke a mule.) so I gave him the £20 he said he paid for it, because it did have an army pattern saddle on it I wanted.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

54 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Normally I'm quite dismissive of tat dealers. I know a few, they only ever call when they want something valuing though and are generally disappointed.

Recently I had one bring round a supposedly 1920s bicycle with hub brakes. I managed to let him down lightly, it was rod braked, but a lot of bits were missing, the hub brake was in fact a dynamo with nothing attached, about 6 inches had rotted off both mudguards and it had recently been painted with black Dulux using what I assume was a toilet brush.

As for identity, it was a Robin Hood from the mid 1950s, Raleigh's cheap entry level bike. A bit like buying one from Halfords nowadays for £80.

I did feel kind of sorry for him, (Not that sorry, he's always got a roll of twenty's in his pocket that would choke a mule.) so I gave him the £20 he said he paid for it, because it did have an army pattern saddle on it I wanted.

A good saddle impresses Mr Wolf, eh!?:jester:

• Funny 2