EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I also noticed:

There's an interestingly "professional" use of map pins for the controls!

The railings are the same size as the ones we have round our staircase at home. 

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Looks like an attempt to make a CIE A Class diesel out of a Lima 33 - except that it is numbered as an “E” Class.

Cheers

Darius

I think this one would look better in BTC black with a silver underframe and lettering. I have some Lima class 33 body shells (H0 ones), I bought these to make a scrap yard but I might just have a go at this loco myself.

- Richard.

Edited by 47137
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Spectrum, featuring Captain Scarlet? ;)

SIG!

29 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Just needs the drop down tank tracks and ejector seat

It wasn't really an ejector seat, in the sense of the James Bond Aston Martin DB5, more one of Gerry Andersons needlessly convoluted ways of getting in and out of any given vehicle!  Why use an ordinary door when there's the possibility of hover bikes, chair lifts, slides....

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 12/08/2021 at 03:15, Darius43 said:

This is a bit unusual.  Not sure why anyone would want to do this but it is nicely done.  

Also not sure that I would want to pay 1p short of £80 for it, but you never know what people will pay/buy on eBay.

On 12/08/2021 at 07:01, adb968008 said:

Thats definitely one of the more creative attempts at a class 71 that ive ever seen.

On 12/08/2021 at 12:07, John M Upton said:

I rather like it...

On 12/08/2021 at 19:17, 47137 said:

Me too but I succumbed, and my offer was accepted. I'll post some photos after it arrives.

Well I think, on this case "madness" has spilled over into "genius". The workmanship is just as neat inside as outside, the builder even painted the ballast weight. They have even added styrene pads to hold the body onto its new chassis, I would have never thought of this but now it looks so obvious. A lot of imagination and attention to detail here:

DSCF1798.jpg.e593d006e73c78cc2ad035b2bd9a4ace.jpg

DSCF1796.jpg.4115967dedf84cb47f6d3015dc373c6a.jpg

DSCF1793.jpg.cafdc38977a5ccc5da5a8eb50c3be737.jpg

DSCF1802.jpg.74e89b9a1c31d24db38e7535e74c74bf.jpg

DSCF1799.jpg.182c4bfc421ccb1e208d9245813a8573.jpg

I didn't expect to use this topic to find things to buy! I haven't tried running it yet, but if it is a bit flaky then the power plant is plentiful secondhand.

- Richard.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 47137 said:

Well I think, on this case "madness" has spilled over into "genius". The workmanship is just as neat inside as outside, the builder even painted the ballast weight. They have even added styrene pads to hold the body onto its new chassis, I would have never thought of this but now it looks so obvious. A lot of imagination and attention to detail here:

I didn't expect to use this topic to find things to buy! I haven't tried running it yet, but if it is a bit flaky then the power plant is plentiful secondhand.

- Richard.

I think it deserves to be on Good Buy eBay thread.

• Agree 6

2 hours ago, 47137 said:

- Richard.

You struck lucky there!  Well thought out and a neat build to boot.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

its a really nice job in its own right that model.

Myself, i’d renumber it away from a class 71, to something fictional, maybe E4000 or perhaps E7100 series or such like,  that way it’d be a real unique loco in its own right, rather than confused for a 71… it could then have a back story such as an EE built prototype Channel tunnel locomotive for the later abandoned 1970’s project.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

As far as I know...yes.

I did once get a bargain from him. I bought a brass coach kit from amongst a large list (from an auction one would assume) for around £50 when all the others were around £150. Maybe he missed off the '1'!

His name is Greg Diffen. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, adb968008 said:

its a really nice job in its own right that model.

Myself, i’d renumber it away from a class 71, to something fictional, maybe E4000 or perhaps E7100 series or such like,  that way it’d be a real unique loco in its own right, rather than confused for a 71… it could then have a back story such as an EE built prototype Channel tunnel locomotive for the later abandoned 1970’s project.

I will hardly every get my hands on a model made like this and it is going to show me the standards I ought to be aiming for and indeed be happy with for my own cut and shut projects.

I do like the back story of the 1970's channel tunnel. This is easier than imagining the class 71 had been more successful and the Southern Region decided to get some more, but outsourced the work to EE.

I posted a tentative link to this on the 'eBay good buys' topic but someone replied and now I am feeling awkward because I have ended up posting there as well: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/5758-good-buy-from-ebay/&do=findComment&comment=4544242. I'd like to make a better chassis for it.

- Richard.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

As far as I know...yes.

I did once get a bargain from him. I bought a brass coach kit from amongst a large list (from an auction one would assume) for around £50 when all the others were around £150. Maybe he missed off the '1'!

His name is Greg Diffen. 

Thanks for that. It has certainly changed my view on Studebaker. The red one sounds good.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 47137 said:

I will hardly every get my hands on a model made like this and it is going to show me the standards I ought to be aiming for and indeed be happy with for my own cut and shut projects.

I do like the back story of the 1970's channel tunnel. This is easier than imagining the class 71 had been more successful and the Southern Region decided to get some more, but outsourced the work to EE.

I posted a tentative link to this on the 'eBay good buys' topic but someone replied and now I am feeling awkward because I have ended up posting there as well: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/5758-good-buy-from-ebay/&do=findComment&comment=4544242. I'd like to make a better chassis for it.

- Richard.

It may be of interest that the Hornby Railroad version of the Lima Class 73, which has a better motor, and can come DCC ready, should be a direct fit with the Lima Class 73 chassis, with regards to the body mountings.

We have a Lima body on a Hornby Railroad chassis.

The Lima chassis was sold on, fitted with the Hornby body to recoup some of the costs involved.

We did the same with some Lima Class 47 locos, moving the body to the sound fitted Hornby Railroad chassis, before selling on the Lima chassis fitted with the Hornby body, in the Lima box…

• Informative/Useful 3

51 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

We did the same with some Lima Class 47 locos, moving the body to the sound fitted Hornby Railroad chassis, before selling on the Lima chassis fitted with the Hornby body, in the Lima box…

The commonality of certain Lima/Hornby locos has been very useful.

I've swapped two Lima green Class 37 bodies with the Network Rail yellow TTS fitted locos, a green Lima Class 47 body with the Large Logo TTS Class 47 and bodyswaps with two GWR/AEC railcars from a couple of years ago which were DCC ready in GWR livery and are now blood'n'custard and green with speed whiskers respectively!

I was going to do the same with a blue Lima Class 40 and a green Hornby TTS Class 40, but a cheap blue TTS 40 came along so I didn't have to bother!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The Hornby chassis sounds like the sensible way to go. I have ordered up a Railroad class 73 from one of the box shifters. If all goes well, E5032 will get the Hornby running gear and eBay will see a pristine 'Jeanette' with a Lima chassis.

- Richard.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Esmedune said:

I often see this persons work for sale on eBay, and I often think they have anger management issues...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294320705564?hash=item4486e1901c:g:9QIAAOSwkFVhEUZx

They're getting better over time, which you'd hope as they've been selling these sort of items for at least five years. 

They used to do scrap locos complete with nameplates, a tender-full of coal and some rusty paint wash thrown at them.  The diesels now have sections cut out and engines fitted, while the coal isn't removed from the tenders, at least they have been sheeted over to hide it.

Still expensive for what they are though and I think a scrap "Rocket" is stretching credibility.

• Funny 6

On 14/08/2021 at 13:04, 47137 said:

I haven't tried running it yet, but if it is a bit flaky then the power plant is plentiful secondhand.

How about the ringfield to CD Motor conversion that Straphpeffer Junction do?
https://www.strathpefferjunction.com/product-category/ringfield-motor-conversion-kits/
I've done it on a class 86 and it is far smoother and quieter. it makes it very easy to DCC the loco.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Esmedune said:

How about the ringfield to CD Motor conversion that Straphpeffer Junction do?
https://www.strathpefferjunction.com/product-category/ringfield-motor-conversion-kits/
I've done it on a class 86 and it is far smoother and quieter. it makes it very easy to DCC the loco.

Thanks. Yes a motor conversion would be good but I have decided to go for the current Hornby class 73 chassis (which should be a drop-in conversion) because it will come with finer wheel flanges and these wheels will run on my layout with its code 75 track.

I have got this subject into a bit of a pickle because it seemed like a good idea to mention the loco on the "eBay good buys" topic but unfortunately the discussion is carrying on here as well. Hopefully one or indeed both will get forgotten before I get hauled up for cross-posting :-)

- Richard.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114937784767?hash=item1ac2d369bf:g:jH0AAOSwTRBhGWJE

Next time someone moans about the quality of factory weathering you get for 25 quid, there are plenty of example on ebay now of this sort of mark up.

How much?????

Limmy.. buy a new Dapol loco and I would be able to weatherbit to your colour photo for £50

Baz

• Like 1
  • Agree 1